Gnonkonde gone

Not according to the article in the AJC. He apparently took the test last year as a junior and that is what has the coach so upset....because GT was telling him "I think we're ok". Then, Tech told him to retake the test recently, and when those results came back, at that point, Tech pulled the scholarship. The coach is saying that the thing that has them so upset is that they honored Tech's request not to visit other places and had no warning that his admission was even in question. If that is the case, then I have to say shame on our coaches for not communicating that to them prior to this.
FWIW this is not exactly in line with some of the insider reports. We won't hear the full story IMO, maybe never.

Tech does this crap to its regular students, and we all know athletes are apparently wayyy less important. Would not surprise me if he got shafted. That term exists for a reason.

Not according to the article in the AJC.

Did you see the part of the post you quoted where it said "half the story"?

Still only half the story.

I don't see why this is shut a sh*tstorm issue. Kid won't qualify, we let him know earlier than many other schools would. End of story. We did the right thing. Kid gets a chance to go somewhere with lower academic standards. He'll be just fine.

Did you see the part of the post you quoted where it said "half the story"?

Still only half the story.

I don't see why this is shut a sh*tstorm issue. Kid won't qualify, we let him know earlier than many other schools would. End of story. We did the right thing. Kid gets a chance to go somewhere with lower academic standards. He'll be just fine.

Not if he doesn't get his test scores up. He still needs higher scores for UCF...

Again, I think the kid's coach was betting on the special allowance and when it didn't happen he scrambled to cast GT in a bad light. That kid should have been taking the SAT every chance he got until the score was satisfactory.

Not if he doesn't get his test scores up. He still needs higher scores for UCF...

If his scores aren't good enough for UCF, then there's no way he would survive tech.

While it's good that we cut him before it was too late for him to go somewhere else, it sucks that he got such a relatively late response from the hill. Although, I guess that's a problem with committing early when you still have regular admissions to pass.

If that is the case, then I have to say shame on our coaches for not communicating that to them prior to this.

+1

although, perhaps it's an indication of disconnect between the AA and admissions. however, don't early acceptance applicants get their responses about now? I guess it falls on the hill and the coaches not communicating well.

I mean the new AJC article is a relatively decent defense of us. If it is to be believed, then what we did may seem bad but we could of, and many other seem to, done worse.

True. The first one seemed to imply pretty strongly that it was a case of saban-ism, but the second did a better job of showing it actually was the hill denying him, not CPJ.

I dont understand why he was offered a scholarship if he wasn't already able to meet the academic requirements.

in AJC article said:
Junior may visit Florida, North Carolina or Central Florida this weekend – or two of the three on quick trips. “I would say that North Carolina might be a frontrunner right now,” White said. “North Carolina said that Junior is qualified and his test scores were good enough without Junior retaking it. They haven’t offered yet but they are sending a coach to meet with us on Wednesday.”

Looks like the academic standards for athletes at UNC are lower than at Tech and UCF...

Looks like the academic standards for athletes at UNC are lower than at Tech and UCF...

UNC lets anyone in that meets NCAA minimums. Just as bad about that as UGA, and it truly is bad for the academic reputation. Especially when players get busted for plagiarizing papers.

I dont understand why he was offered a scholarship if he wasn't already able to meet the academic requirements.

The reason is that we find out whether they meet academic requirements pretty late in the recruiting year and the coaches find out about it even later than that if the story about how PJ found out Gnonkonde was ineligible very recently is true (i think that was in the AJC article but may have been just a post on here).

If we waited to know that everyone met the requirements it would be too late.

This is Tech. No one is different, no one is special. We do not offer forgiveness to our vic... students.

The reason is that we find out whether they meet academic requirements pretty late in the recruiting year and the coaches find out about it even later than that if the story about how PJ found out Gnonkonde was ineligible very recently is true (i think that was in the AJC article but may have been just a post on here).

If we waited to know that everyone met the requirements it would be too late.

no, that's what the article said. If I remember, it's in tune with when early applicants find out as well. I meant that it would make more sense to me that if someone is offering a scholly, the SA has already made the grades, not just an impression on the field.

no, that's what the article said. If I remember, it's in tune with when early applicants find out as well. I meant that it would make more sense to me that if someone is offering a scholly, the SA has already made the grades, not just an impression on the field.

I went back and checked and it did say that. Or rather that is what Kelly Quinlan said.

Why wait until less than two weeks before signing day to withdraw the offer? “Georgia Tech’s coaches were only told in the last few days about it by admissions. As soon as Paul was given a firm ‘no,’ they told the kid immediately to give the kid time to make other arrangements.”

And the problem with waiting for them to make the grades is by the time they would they could pick someone else. I mean look at Gnonkonde, he committed almost a year ago and if we didn't offer he would of gone elsewhere and we would have no shot at landing him regardless of what his grades turned out to be.

not sure if there's a remedy, but that sucks for the kid. hopefully he makes it at UCF.

Hope he can find a place, may have to spend a 1/2 year improving his scores though

Now his coach/guardian has him going to the Air Force Academy. What is next a full ride to Harvard with a Rhodes Scholarship to follow?

I think this coach/guardian guy is as full of crap as a Christmas Turkey.

Go Jackets!

Oh let's not be coy and act like student athletes are held to the same entrance standards that the rest of the student body are.

I meant why have any minimum admissions standards for athletes at all? Just let the football team take anyone, if they fail out who cares? It only hurts the football team.

But again, I pose the question....who does it hurt AT THE INSTITUTE if the kid doesn't make his grades besides the football team? Nobody has answered that question for me yet.
Just as it looks good for the Institute overall when the football team does well, it looks bad for the Institute if the football team appears careless with academics. You can't separate D1A football and the school itself in the modern world.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/15152/academic-scandal-has-permanently-soiled-uncs-image/

Now his coach/guardian has him going to the Air Force Academy. What is next a full ride to Harvard with a Rhodes Scholarship to follow?

I think this coach/guardian guy is as full of crap as a Christmas Turkey.

Go Jackets!

Jerry:

We had a couple of twins at a local HS over here that were taken by the AF academy, even though their academics were very shaky, not to even mention their test scores....they have exceptions that can basically allow them to attend an AF prep school to try to get them ready for the real thing...don't think they made it by the way, even though they went to CS to try....

Back