Good article on Penn State and expansion...

You clearly missed his point that this would be based on ND as part of the conference too which would all but blow away the TV deal the Big Ten currently has since you are in every major City along the east coast Plus what Notre Dame brings.

Except the only way ND joins a conference is if they keep their exclusive NBC deal (which I'm sure blows every other team except Texas' TV money away by lightyears) which means when we re-negotiate our TV contract ND games will not be shown, which means it is a moot point.

If Penn St joins the ACC then the only thing adding to the value is... Penn St.

I'm not saying they wouldn't come if ND came, or maybe they could talk to each other and say I'll go if you go, but I doubt they get any more money. Isn't the Big 10 already the highest paid conference with the Big 10 network?

PSU wanted 2 for 1 home series and Pitt got offended. This was Paterno's doing and it killed a great annual rivalry game.

Anybody read the part where the article says:

For the sake of discussion and to have some fun, let's go ahead and figure Swofford has no interest in settling at 14 schools, and that 'Cuse and Pitt simply are appetizers to a feast that's stewing in the pot right now.

If so, the only real possible combination that could comprise such a scenario is adding Penn State and Notre Dame.

:crazy: Come on guys.

Except the only way ND joins a conference is if they keep their exclusive NBC deal (which I'm sure blows every other team except Texas' TV money away by lightyears) which means when we re-negotiate our TV contract ND games will not be shown, which means it is a moot point.

If Penn St joins the ACC then the only thing adding to the value is... Penn St.

I'm not saying they wouldn't come if ND came, or maybe they could talk to each other and say I'll go if you go, but I doubt they get any more money. Isn't the Big 10 already the highest paid conference with the Big 10 network?

I doubt that ND would be allowed to play all their ACC games in South Bend. That would be required to validate your statement.:rolleyes:

NBC only has ND home games, so they could keep the deal and just take a half share of the ACC TV revenue and all would be good. They would help bolster that amount too.

ACC network > B1G network as far as money goes if ND and PSU join.

Basketball tourney tickets just got tougher too.

I suppose only the top 2 teams get byes now.

IF PSU and ND both step up then we will probably have the market power to outgun any BTN or LHN with the ACCN.

Think about it. The entire east coast from Boston to Miami, including now NY and PA, and the entire ND following. That would be just huge - untouchable huge - in terms of TV sets.

I'm for Penn state.. But I'd rather ND stay independent, lose it's NBC deal, and become as significant as Yale football

Basketball tourney tickets just got tougher too.

I suppose only the top 2 teams get byes now.

And plane tickets too, if they decide to host it in Madison Square Garden instead of the Greensboro Colosseum.

I do hope it stays at the Greensboro Colosseum though. It's a cool old venue for it.

Penn State ain't going anywhere. They're perfectly at home in the Big Int. Even with the addition of Notre Dame, I don't think the ACC would be able to poach Penn State. It's a quaint little thought, but Penn State has little in the way of rivalries that they're attached to (see: the lack of playing Pitt) and they're swimming in money.

So, no, I don't think this is happening, no matter what some Carolina dude managed to cook up.

Back