Good article on Penn State and expansion...

Except the only way ND joins a conference is if they keep their exclusive NBC deal (which I'm sure blows every other team except Texas' TV money away by lightyears) which means when we re-negotiate our TV contract ND games will not be shown, which means it is a moot point.

If Penn St joins the ACC then the only thing adding to the value is... Penn St.

I'm not saying they wouldn't come if ND came, or maybe they could talk to each other and say I'll go if you go, but I doubt they get any more money. Isn't the Big 10 already the highest paid conference with the Big 10 network?

The ND deal is apparently about $9 million flat fee. It was a lot of money back in the day, but it has fallen behind the other deals now on the table. The ACC deal before adding Cuse and Pitt was $155 million, or about 13 million per team.

That comparison does not include whatever ND gets for away games or its portion of the Big East contrast, but it puts ND's supposedly golden NBC contract in perspective.

Past its NBC contract, the main benefit of its independence was its special standing for BCS bowl games. It only needs to be in the top 12, IIRC, and it gets all the BCS money to itself. However, it's also found out that it loses all that BCS money too.

ND does face an issue with scheduling their four big rivalries though: Michigan, MSU, Navy and USC. If they kept all those series going while in the ACC, all their non-conference games would be booked every year. They would need to make a couple of those rivalries occasional instead of every year.

Navy does not want to join a conference. They love being independent, and building their own schedules.

ND is a weird case, because if they stay indie they're going to lose their auto BCS invite next year, because they suck. Their TV contract also comes up for renewal soon, and as has been mentioned before, they suck. They may have to latch onto a conference somewhere. The ACC has two things going for it in this regard -

ND has rivalries in all sports with Pitt and Cuse, from the BE.

ND gave the B1G the finger last year, and the B1G told them "we will not ask you again." They could grovel and beg their way into the B1G, but that'd be the only way. If they don't want to beg, then the ACC is, funnily enough, their only reasonable option. I think they'll beg, but if they don't, then we may see some sort of incorporation with them and the ACC. Which would be AWESOME. How about ND as a permanent rival in the north division?

The Pitt/Cuse move was great, because it forces ND's hand.

Rivalries change over time. We used to be ND's rival back in the day, so I don't see why current day rivalries would prevent teams from doing what's best for their program.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ND, alone, would be ginormous for the ACC. It would dramatically increase the exposure of our conference. If we could get ND, I couldn't care less about who else we get.

And the value of the ACC basketball rights went up significantly yesterday.

This is why I think we add Uconn. I would much rather add ND, Penn St., etc. But it is much easier with the teams seeming willing to jump to the ACC to make us the elite basketball conference.

Except the only way ND joins a conference is if they keep their exclusive NBC deal (which I'm sure blows every other team except Texas' TV money away by lightyears) which means when we re-negotiate our TV contract ND games will not be shown, which means it is a moot point.

Not really. Notre Dame away games are controlled by the team they are playing and their deal. So half of ND's game's each year are viable.

I think adding Notre Dame and UCONN is probably more likely.

In this article, the main thing that stood out to me is Notre Dame could be left out in the cold (as ridiculous as that sounds) when it comes to the Super Conference-alignment in football. They would also be stuck in a depleted Big East in basketball.

Notre Dame to the ACC is more logical than I had previously thought about (basically because I ddin't think much about it).

I personally am not going to worry about Notre Done joining the ACC. Why bother? Let them continue their slide to irrelevancy, NBC deal or no NBC deal.

They haven't been a big player for over 15 years and sucked more often than not during that span.

Why throw them a lifeline? I don't get it......
noidea.gif

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

I wonder how involved ESPN is with the conferences/teams discussing expansion, since money is the driving factor behind all of this. The conversations between the conferences and schools breaks down to "You're making X now. In our conference, you'll make Y." The latter is where my question really lies. Is ESPN sitting at the table along with the conference commish telling A&M or 'Cuse/Pitt that with the addition of their school the current SEC and ACC deal will probably change by such and such amount?

They're just as big a players in this as anyone else. After all, it's in their best interest to see A&M in the SEC or 'Cuse/Pitt/PSU/ND in the ACC.

I personally am not going to worry about Notre Done joining the ACC. Why bother? Let them continue their slide to irrelevancy, NBC deal or no NBC deal.

They haven't been a big player for over 15 years and sucked more often than not during that span.

Why throw them a lifeline? I don't get it......
noidea.gif

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

Its about the MONEY, Theirs and the ACCs

I'd venture that the Irish end up in the Big Ten + 4. No matter how butthurt the Big Ten was last time when ND said no, just like a slob who can't say no to the hot girl, they'll take her back in a heart beat and they'll let her do whatever she damn well pleases. Notre Dame, no matter how irrelevant they should be, is still a big money maker.

They make more sense in the Big Ten, both geographically and historically. The ACC would score a major coup by picking them up, but I don't think it will happen.

Notre Dame and Penn State to the ACC would make for 2 EPIC North/South Divisions and probably draw in a small portion of the Sons of Confederate Veterans constituency.

Atlantic Coast Conference

North
Boston College
Maryland
Notre Dame
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech

South
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina
N.C. State
Wake Forest

For anyone who thinks PSU isn't in play, consider that the majority of their alumni/fans (BY FAR) are located in the ACC region. Sure, the western side of the state likes being apart of the B1G, but the eastern side is/would giving the ACC some serious consideration. A lot of old natural rivalries, a chance for fans to visit a lot of nearby ACC venues.

Money may be the biggest factor here, but you can't compare what the B1G and ACC were making last year, or even this year, as a way to evaluate whether PSU would jump ship. Just a couple of years ago the ACC made the most money per team.

With the BE likely going down, and a chance for the Big 12 to go down, there's going to be a lot of money out there to go into a revamped ACC. And with all the killer basketball programming available, an ACC network for 3rd tier programming could potentially produce killer numbers. UNC already makes KILLER numbers selling their 3rd tier rights basically off their fluff basketball programming.

Back