GT and Vandy - Comparison

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Vandy, like Duke, has very low requirements for football, basketball and baseball recruits. On the other hand there are some good recruits in Tennessee and we should be heavily recruiting the private schools in Middle Tennessee (Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, CPA, etc.)

ClydeBrick

All Being Master of Time Space & Dimension
I almost don't know where to start, all that rambling drivel you wrote

But I'll try, my point was rather simple GT FB had a huge advantage over 95% of the CFB programs in the P5 in that we are located in a hotbed of elite talent, not good talent, but elite talent

Earth Science & 2 math classes isn't what is causing mediocrity in our FB Program no matter how much the academics excuse makers whine abt academics and limited majors

All those folks that spout narrow curriculum obviously never met nor got to know an elite HS - College level athlete during their younger yrs

If they did, they would know that academic major is kinda a fluid situation with those types

They all want to go pro, but they also want to graduate in a degree that will lead to them to a better job than their parents had at the local factory, mill, or post office

Most of these guys are undecided abt academic major, for example if GT was putting guys in the NFL, they'd be glad to major in Business or LMC and go wherever that takes them if their NFL dreams don't materialize

REGULAR STUDENTS with 2100s++ on their SATs get hung up on what they're majoring in coming out of HS, but the elite athletes with a 1050+ on the old SAT they ARE NOT gonna walk away from a FB program that is gonna put them in the NFL because they lack "his major"

Reading your post about coddling until they can go to the NFL is an outdated stereotype from an elitist jerk

These elite athletes have all heard the injury horror stories and they know they're a split second away from FB being over for them, so your assumptions that most good FB players are anti academics is bunk, they might not wanna be brain surgeons, but they are not lazy and they are not anti academics

GT's issues have always been self inflicted starting from allowing a legendary HC to be AD when he was clearly overmatched to running a system that elite HS recruits hated with a passion

I'll throw this hypothetical out there, ask any FB program outside the Top5, if they could switch physical locations with GT would they with the caveat that they would also have to adopt GT's admission stds for athletes and their so-called limited degree offerings

Tons of P5 schools would take that in a heartbeat simply because so much elite talent is in GTs backyard

In fact, tons of P5 coaches and CFB writers and media types all classify GT as a "sleeping giant" with the right HC & AD, the reason, all the nearby elite talent that is smart enough to major in business

Coaches and insiders in the industry believe more of what I have written than that outdated, stereotypical crap that you wrote
I do know where to start with all your random drivel; you are apparently from another planet and have a very distorted view of nearly everything that is going on in CFB right now - or you are the best troll ever.

Clemson became who they are today because of the money they spend on coaching, recruiting and facilities.

If there has been a sleeping giant in the state of Georgia, it was the dwags - and really it was just a nap. Sadly it appears that they have woken up.

I would love for your statements about academics, facilities and location to be true because of what it would mean for GT. However, I think that you are as full of öööö as you think I am.

Rodzilla

Dodd-Like
Quit comparing us to private schools that can do whatever they want with admissions and course requirements for football players. And no, Vandy sucks at football and always has. Who gives a öööö if they went 6-6 and won their crap bowl this year? We won the orange bowl in 2014 in a blowout victory.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I've never understood why Vandy doesn't try the triple option.
Because fans don’t want it. Fans want to be able to talk about the NFL players their teams have. They want to see their team throw the ball. They don’t want to look silly rooting for the weird team in front of their friends. Lou Holtz said as much about Notre Dame.

From Lou Holtz’s book. See if it sounds familiar.
"I think it's one word: recruiting," says Lou Holtz, who ran option football at five stops in his college coaching career, including with his Notre Dame national champion in 1988. "Once alumni started treating recruiting like it was a season in itself, it became very difficult to run the option. All of a sudden, [if you were an option team,] you couldn't get the dominant quarterback, because you weren't going to throw the football and get him ready for the NFL. You couldn't get the dominant left tackle, because you weren't going to teach him to pass-block. You couldn't get the dominant running back, because he wasn't going to be featured enough. Now, you can still win with the option even if you don't get those people, but if you're not getting those top recruits, the alumni start to think you're losing and you're not exciting enough."

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Vandy, like Duke, has very low requirements for football, basketball and baseball recruits. On the other hand there are some good recruits in Tennessee and we should be heavily recruiting the private schools in Middle Tennessee (Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, CPA, etc.)
No we shouldn't, the talent coming out of those schools and in places like Tenn is sub standard for where we want to be as a CFB program

Plenty of better talent in the Private Schools here in Ga

You're looking for luck, you want to avoid the hotbed of talent here in Ga that everyone knows is elite and want to "fish in lesser waters" where you hope GT's "academic reputation" will win us some recruits that other schools overlook

I got news for you, there are very few overlooked ELITE recruits, in a rare instance you'll have a kid grow 3 inches or put on 45 lbs and get 3 steps faster and bloom on the college level, but recruiting now with players uploading their own highlights on the Net is so extensive rarely are there any diamonds in the rough

Recruiting private schools that play crappy Tenn HS FB is what got us #51 and #31 in our starting lineup this yr

Tenn can have em all

Gimme Recruits from Ga, Fla, Texas, Ohio, Cali and maybe the NE corridor

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Because fans don’t want it. Fans want to be able to talk about the NFL players their teams have. They want to see their team throw the ball. They don’t want to look silly rooting for the weird team in front of their friends. Lou Holtz said as much about Notre Dame.

From Lou Holtz’s book. See if it sounds familiar.
"I think it's one word: recruiting," says Lou Holtz, who ran option football at five stops in his college coaching career, including with his Notre Dame national champion in 1988. "Once alumni started treating recruiting like it was a season in itself, it became very difficult to run the option. All of a sudden, [if you were an option team,] you couldn't get the dominant quarterback, because you weren't going to throw the football and get him ready for the NFL. You couldn't get the dominant left tackle, because you weren't going to teach him to pass-block. You couldn't get the dominant running back, because he wasn't going to be featured enough. Now, you can still win with the option even if you don't get those people, but if you're not getting those top recruits, the alumni start to think you're losing and you're not exciting enough."
The meat of Holtz's career was over before the Big12 style RPO offenses & HUNH offenses became all the rage

Comments from 30 yrs ago might as well be from 50 yrs with all the recent rules changes combined with all the changes to HS FB Nationwide

The numbers of accurate, drop back passers that can make P5 claiber reads & throws as T-Fr has exploded, with that kind of talent out there there's no reason for anyone in a State like Ga to run 3O FB

Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, Iowa places like that should be running 3O FB, not here in Ga

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I do know where to start with all your random drivel; you are apparently from another planet and have a very distorted view of nearly everything that is going on in CFB right now - or you are the best troll ever.

Clemson became who they are today because of the money they spend on coaching, recruiting and facilities.

If there has been a sleeping giant in the state of Georgia, it was the dwags - and really it was just a nap. Sadly it appears that they have woken up.

I would love for your statements about academics, facilities and location to be true because of what it would mean for GT. However, I think that you are as full of öööö as you think I am.

If GT's academics were such a barrier to GT getting good players that can graduate, explain your hero and idol CPJ himself making offers to 26 of the 39 players here in Ga that were rated either 4* or 5*

If he offered them during their Sr yr and he did, then he thought they could get accepted, if you give him all the credit for raising Grad rate then you also have to trust his judgment that he thought they could graduate from GT

26 of 39 is .666, extrapolated among the Top100 here in talent-rich GA that means that CPJ thinks that 66 of the Top100 players in GA HS FB can get accepted to GT

Coach G knows this also, he has always known it and he's gonna recruit Ga like crazy to the angst of you whiny academics excuse makers

Stanford, ND, Mich, Penn St et al can come to Ga and get fat recruiting HS talent, but you want us to believe that Earth Science and 2 math classes is keeping GT from Recruiting better, it was CPJ

Even Chan eventually learned to recruit to GT, at his firing he was about to sign another 2007 caliber recruiting class, no telling where GT FB would be had we given him a chance to get ONE POSITION - QB figured out

Lion82

Varsity Lurker
The funny thing is that the college spread offense most programs run does a terrible job of preparing players to play in the nfl.
Qb never gets under center, no progression reads, no route trees for receivers, linemen don't learn how to finish blocks or even play out of a 3 point stance.

GT98

Dodd-Like
In fact, tons of P5 coaches and CFB writers and media types all classify GT as a "sleeping giant" with the right HC & AD, the reason, all the nearby elite talent that is smart enough to major in business

Coaches and insiders in the industry believe more of what I have written than that outdated, stereotypical crap that you wrote
Name them.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
The funny thing is that the college spread offense most programs run does a terrible job of preparing players to play in the nfl.
Qb never gets under center, no progression reads, no route trees for receivers, linemen don't learn how to finish blocks or even play out of a 3 point stance.

More than likely you're correct

But everyone's perception is their own reality

Even though you may be correct, The college Spread Off is still preferred to the 3O by a mile among NFL GMs

At a school like GT that operates with such a fragile balance between FB & academics, the GTAA should have foreseen how hiring a 3O coach could hurt GT FB long term WRT the way recruits see us

ClydeBrick

All Being Master of Time Space & Dimension
If GT's academics were such a barrier to GT getting good players that can graduate, explain your hero and idol CPJ himself making offers to 26 of the 39 players here in Ga that were rated either 4* or 5*

If he offered them during their Sr yr and he did, then he thought they could get accepted, if you give him all the credit for raising Grad rate then you also have to trust his judgment that he thought they could graduate from GT

26 of 39 is .666, extrapolated among the Top100 here in talent-rich GA that means that CPJ thinks that 66 of the Top100 players in GA HS FB can get accepted to GT

Coach G knows this also, he has always known it and he's gonna recruit Ga like crazy to the angst of you whiny academics excuse makers

Stanford, ND, Mich, Penn St et al can come to Ga and get fat recruiting HS talent, but you want us to believe that Earth Science and 2 math classes is keeping GT from Recruiting better, it was CPJ

Even Chan eventually learned to recruit to GT, at his firing he was about to sign another 2007 caliber recruiting class, no telling where GT FB would be had we given him a chance to get ONE POSITION - QB figured out
Lol.

Troll on dude.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Lol.

Troll on dude.

It ain't trolling if it's true, simply check out the 247 composite rankings that combines the 3 major services (ESPN,Rivals, 247) and I'll be proven correct

GT fans like you blaming academics for all the issues WRT our FB Program is the modern day version of Chicken Little

IMO those that constantly play the academics card are the biggest trollers amongst us all, and they continue to get away with it because for so many GT FB fans this "false mythology" about academics has taken on a life itself

Sad, but true

I thinks it's funny that Stanford, ND, Dook, Michigan, UVa, Vandy, and others can target GA HSs for the combination of talent and "good enough" academics, but GT cannot

I'm not the troll, your narrow outdated beliefs make you the troll

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
No we shouldn't, the talent coming out of those schools and in places like Tenn is sub standard for where we want to be as a CFB program

Plenty of better talent in the Private Schools here in Ga

You're looking for luck, you want to avoid the hotbed of talent here in Ga that everyone knows is elite and want to "fish in lesser waters" where you hope GT's "academic reputation" will win us some recruits that other schools overlook

I got news for you, there are very few overlooked ELITE recruits, in a rare instance you'll have a kid grow 3 inches or put on 45 lbs and get 3 steps faster and bloom on the college level, but recruiting now with players uploading their own highlights on the Net is so extensive rarely are there any diamonds in the rough

Recruiting private schools that play crappy Tenn HS FB is what got us #51 and #31 in our starting lineup this yr

Tenn can have em all

Gimme Recruits from Ga, Fla, Texas, Ohio, Cali and maybe the NE corridor
I did not say we should restrict our recruiting to Tennessee. We need to recruit nationally. In general, the private schools across the country produce players who are more likely to suceed at Tech. Derek Barnett, Jalen Ramsey, Corn Elder, Rashaan Gaulden, Benny Cunningham, Kennean Reynolds, C.J. Bethard and Golden Tate are current NFL players from the Nashville area private schools. Brandon Adams was at Brentwood Academy at the same time as Derek Barnett and Jalen Ramsey. We currently have several Nashville area public high school players. Our most famous Nashville area player is Shaq Mason.

sthorfinnr

We The Vanguard Stockholders
I did not say we should restrict our recruiting to Tennessee. We need to recruit nationally. In general, the private schools across the country produce players who are more likely to suceed at Tech. Derek Barnett, Jalen Ramsey, Corn Elder, Rashaan Gaulden, Benny Cunningham, Kennean Reynolds, C.J. Bethard and Golden Tate are current NFL players from the Nashville area private schools. Brandon Adams was at Brentwood Academy at the same time as Derek Barnett and Jalen Ramsey. We currently have several Nashville area public high school players. Our most famous Nashville area player is Shaq Mason.
Hope we can keep the Nashville connection without Andy Mac. If not, maybe we can build a Jersey connection with this Panagos dude. Lots of good private school SAs seem to come out of there too.

gt2690b

PB time!
This post has it all.

Seriously, every last thing about how GT football isn't what it was under Dodd is right here (and some new öööö too).

Extra credit for not specifically ööööting on CPJ too - shocking considering the font.

I have seen the light, it was us fans all along. NTNPBGC has shown us the way. It is all too simple; raise our expectations.

100k screaming fans in your stadium; not needed.

Playgrounds for NFL wannabes that have been coddled since middle school; unnecessary.

Limited majors with tougher coursework; that's not GT any more.

All we have to be is close to the player's hometown and have nationally-known coaches with histories of winning at a high level (uh-oh) and of course, raise our expectations.

We have met the enemy and it is us; our expectations are too low. All we have to do is want it more - as a fan base - and it will happen for us.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The rest can be tl;dr for the short attention span crowd so scroll on if you are so inclined.

"Excuses", "Quit accepting mediocrity", "Demand excellence", "Expect more" - I have read posts that have these in them over the years and I have never understood this sort of attitude from people associated with GT. My first assumption from people that espouse these platitudes about GT's sports shortcomings has been that the font is a sidewalk fan as GT specializes in producing people that deal with their lives in provable, repeatable, factual, logical ways. I have been mostly disappointed though in that I learn (or already knew) that the font is (or claims to be) a grad. I do understand why people get this way; sports is an emotional thing for a fan and as the Vulcans found out, emotions get in the way of logic.

Funny thing is, we all know what the secret to CFB success is. In a way NTNPBGC is correct in his post; none of the things listed as an "excuse" matter - of course, none of the things that are listed as why GT should be more successful matters either. What really matters is money. Lots and lots of money, both legal money and illegal (according to the NCAA) money are the key to sustained CFB success. Hell, money is a key factor in every successful venture. You may start in your garage with The Next Great Idea, but without funding no one but your neighbors will ever know about it.

Money. Pure and simple.

You want to be in the CFB Playoff more than once in a lifetime? Step up your fund raising. Want to beat you rivals regularly? Beat them at the bank consistently first.

Hold on, I am not delusional about money - understand what I said; money is a key factor, not the factor. For every Bammer and Clemson there is an aTm and Tennessee - what you do with the money it can matter as well. Money is the foundation that allows for the building that success is to stand on. Short term success is in CFB is possible with limited funding; without that foundation that money provides, success will crumble away.

My expectations are for GT football to compete for and win championships each season. Always has been. I would say that everyone here expects that - unless you are only here to troll or make mom jokes. Therefore, I cannot join NTNPBGC in his quest for higher expectations. I guess I will just have to send some more money to the GTAA.

The worst thing about fans like NTNPBGC, and the others that took the last 11 years off, is that they are willing to disappear when they are unsatisfied. Talk about being counter productive; my team isn't winning like I would like so I am going to stop supporting them - while getting even more pissed that my team continues to be unsuccessful. Pretty funny when you think about it; some CPJ haters would always callout CPJ's surliness and stubbornness as reasons why GT has been unsuccessful - while being surly and stubborn about the program that they supposedly are fans of.
tl;dr

gt2690b

PB time!

Clemson wasn't paying dabo crap in his first few years