GT v. FSU in Ireland 2024

The thing about that game was we were the ones who had a few unlucky breaks that kept it from being a beat down.

Facemask on Height on a 3rd & long sack

2 4th and long conversions

Missing wide open Singleton on that corner route

Rutherford just falling down open on 3rd down

A 59 yd FG

FSU WR knicking a blade of grass to catch a 3rd and long

On the GT side:
I do think the ref could have blown it dead on our 3rd and gl to tie it. We were due for a favor

OL Jumping on that muffed exchange amidst a bunch of Garnett and Gold and our lone OL won(!) the recovery was lucky.

Something that really grabbed me is that usually in Tech lore when we were on the last drive and we false start, I felt like ‘this is where it goes’. Perfect all game, knocking their vaunted Dline in the dirt and then that unforced error. Then the timing issue on the snap that King lost behind him out of FG range due to the WR motion. Tech lore says that ball gets recovered by FSU or at least we have to punt. Not today, my friends. Im sure y’all will say anticipating that end is a loser mentality. Fair. But this team wasn’t hearing it. Maybe it’s knowing how to win. I’m ready to go with.

The thing about that game was we were the ones who had a few unlucky breaks that kept it from being a beat down.

A 59 yd FG

On the GT side:
I do think the ref could have blown it dead on our 3rd and gl to tie it. We were due for a favor

OL Jumping on that muffed exchange amidst a bunch of Garnett and Gold and our lone OL won(!) the recovery was lucky.

Something that really grabbed me is that usually in Tech lore when we were on the last drive and we false start, I felt like ‘this is where it goes’. Perfect all game, knocking their vaunted Dline in the dirt and then that unforced error. Then the timing issue on the snap that King lost behind him out of FG range due to the WR motion. Tech lore says that ball gets recovered by FSU or at least we have to punt. Not today, my friends. Im sure y’all will say anticipating that end is a loser mentality. Fair. But this team wasn’t hearing it. Maybe it’s knowing how to win. I’m ready to go with.
All of these things went through my head as well. 40 years of being a tech fan will do that to you.

A 59 yd FG

On the GT side:

Was on couch with my kids and wife who has no pics. On that final drive, before the fumbled mesh, during the timeout commercials my wife asked me if I was nervous. I said I’m not nervous, but 22 years as a Tech fan - I know how this ends. We’re going to drive it down and fumble. Blocked field goal. Something stupid will happen and we’ll beat ourselves after a near perfect game. And then the fumbled mesh and I was just like…here we go. And it never happened. Maybe it’s finally our time.

Was on couch with my kids and wife who has no pics. On that final drive, before the fumbled mesh, during the timeout commercials my wife asked me if I was nervous. I said I’m not nervous, but 22 years as a Tech fan - I know how this ends. We’re going to drive it down and fumble. Blocked field goal. Something stupid will happen and we’ll beat ourselves after a near perfect game. And then the fumbled mesh and I was just like…here we go. And it never happened. Maybe it’s finally our time.
Both times we put the ball on the ground and recovered, standard practice for Tech offenses in my time has been to fold immediately. The first time, late in the 3rd quarter we responded by driving the remaining half the of the field for a touchdown. The second time, King and Singleton remained composed and got enough yards on the next play to put Birr in position to win it.

Today we saw a lot of the bits and scenarios which became part of the script for playing Florida State back in the 90's. But this team responded every single time. They almost looked like they thrived in response to their own mistakes, which is not something I remember thinking about any Tech team in at least the last 20 years, even at our best.

The second time, King and Singleton remained composed and got enough yards on the next play to put Birr in position to win it.
just re-watched it. On that play there was a beautiful outside block by the grad transfer TE from Yale, #85 Hawes, that gave Singleton the space to get the needed yardage. Singleton was able to drive back the DB with his legs to gain an additional 5 yards on that play.

Take a pic of wife this morning, pls

just re-watched it. On that play there was a beautiful outside block by the grad transfer TE from Yale, #85 Hawes, that gave Singleton the space to get the needed yardage. Singleton was able to drive back the DB with his legs to gain an additional 5 yards on that play.
On the second and third rewatch, you notice just how many moments there were which traditionally inflict momentum swings strong enough to change the game or lose it. The two fumbles, the missed open deep ball to Singleton, the facemask which negated Height's sack, Shelley's decision not to fair catch which got him promptly clobbered, the false start on 3rd and 2. There may be others I'm missing.

In any case, any one of these plays can cause weak teams to lose confidence and focus, and can at least appear to trigger subsequent mistakes and poor play. I have seen Tech fall victim to this sort of thing more times than I could count at this point. A strong team can take the bad bounces and errors in stride, even improving in their wake. That was what Tech did in Dublin yesterday. We recovered both fumbles and turned the long-yardage "oh ffs" downs into points. When the facemask gave FSU fresh life, the defense held them to a field goal. King missed the deep endzone pass to Singleton but drove for six anyway. When Shelley got blasted and we started from our own 10, the offense drove the length of the field, overcoming one of the fumbles along the way and draining the remainder of the third quarter clock before punching in a TD for the lead. Facing 3rd and 7 instead of 3rd and 2, King, on his heels and with a defender in his face, lays the ball into Haynes' arms, who then breaks loose for the first and then some, setting the stage for the game-winning drive which also included overcoming a fumble and long-yardage situation.

IMG_8047.jpeg

At Birr Castle

(I did not do it)

On the GT side:

I'd add our returner holding on to the ball after getting creamed on punt return he should've fair caught. If that had gotten knocked out we might be talking about how a failure of special teams coaching cost us the game.

I'd add our returner holding on to the ball after getting creamed on punt return he should've fair caught. If that had gotten knocked out we might be talking about how a failure of special teams coaching cost us the game.
We had our share of mistakes, but they didn’t cost us the game. That’s the progress that I’m encouraged to see.

It was a great week in Ireland. It’s a beautiful country with great culture to enjoy. But of all the things we did, by far my favorite (besides the game, of course) was walking through the airport yesterday. Seeing all the shellshocked, hungover FSU fans, along with our giddy, still tipsy Georgia Tech fans, was priceless. Made it that much sweeter knowing they had to put up with us for 10 hours on the flight.

Throughout the game, the cheerleaders were all barefoot. I’ve not noticed that before. Is that normal?
IMG_6027.jpeg
I believe that's due to an Irish law which states:

Shall ye be a darlin lass, prancin about in nary a garment that be coverin ya treasures, then tis incumbent upon ya to do so with ya bare feet like a fairy or wood nymph so as not to anger the elder lasses, accomplishin this by pretendin to be a mythology reference worthy of a fine Irish tale.

Back