GT v. FSU in Ireland 2024

They aren’t barefoot. They have skin-tone slippers on. My guess is that they’re equivalent to a dance shoe of sorts.
Gotcha, I’m not a foot fetish guy so when I zoomed in and closely examined my own picture, I didn’t make it that far down.

Throughout the game, the cheerleaders were all barefoot. I’ve not noticed that before. Is that normal?
IMG_6027.jpeg
*dance team

It was a great week in Ireland. It’s a beautiful country with great culture to enjoy. But of all the things we did, by far my favorite (besides the game, of course) was walking through the airport yesterday. Seeing all the shellshocked, hungover FSU fans, along with our giddy, still tipsy Georgia Tech fans, was priceless. Made it that much sweeter knowing they had to put up with us for 10 hours on the flight.
Most - and by most, nearly all, save one, of the FSU fans were very nice before the game, and very complimentary (though they looked like they had just seen Jimbo Fisher's ghost) afterward.
Got a lot of Go Jackets! and the right answer to my often asked question "What's the Good Word!?!?" across Dublin and in the airport going home.

Sunday night, met an English couple who asked if I was an American. Said, sure. They asked, why are there so many Americans in Dublin this week? I said well, here this week, the American football teams from two universities played and the fans traveled to see the game. They asked, is American football at the university level that big in the states? I said, in our part of the country, it's like this - it's Liverpool vs. Manchester United. Every week.
They were shocked.

We did the Guinness Storehouse tour (excellent), did the Titanic Museum tour in Belfast (spectacular and gripping) and did the 1916 Easter Rebellion walking tour the morning before the game.
Fish and chips were spot on most of the places tried them. Two were outstanding, one in Dublin, one in Belfast; one was OK. Great Irish stew at one location.
And found an Italian restaurant late Saturday night that was amazing.

Disappointed by the amount of American music I heard played in bars and pubs. I can hear the Eagles 15 times a day on the radio here.
I shoulda just grabbed the microphone and started belting out Roddy McCorley or Go on Home, British Soldiers, Go on Home (find that one on YouTube; it isn't for polite company).

While the young lady singing the Irish national anthem did a wonderful job with it, I thought, you know, there is a better choice for the Irish national anthem. As politically incorrect as it may be.
But I'll be damned it should be A Nation Once Again.

Most - and by most, nearly all, save one, of the FSU fans were very nice before the game, and very complimentary (though they looked like they had just seen Jimbo Fisher's ghost) afterward.
Got a lot of Go Jackets! and the right answer to my often asked question "What's the Good Word!?!?" across Dublin and in the airport going home.

Sunday night, met an English couple who asked if I was an American. Said, sure. They asked, why are there so many Americans in Dublin this week? I said well, here this week, the American football teams from two universities played and the fans traveled to see the game. They asked, is American football at the university level that big in the states? I said, in our part of the country, it's like this - it's Liverpool vs. Manchester United. Every week.
They were shocked.
By the way, were you the guy sitting on a barstool on Anglesea St. in Temple Bar on Friday afternoon saying “what’s the good word?” to all the Tech fans walking by? If so, I gave you the proper response.

By the way, were you the guy sitting on a barstool on Anglesea St. in Temple Bar on Friday afternoon saying “what’s the good word?” to all the Tech fans walking by? If so, I gave you the proper response.
We were at Temple of Beer on Friday.
At O'Riordan's on Saturday night. May have been at Doyle's, too.
Hit a few different places Sunday.
Nope, didn't hit a pub on Angelsea. As far as I can remember.

Here’s one of the better Irish newspaper articles about the game that I’ve found:

Anybody found any comment from actual Irish locals about the game? I’m curious how they perceived it.

JRjr

Was on couch with my kids and wife who has no pics. On that final drive, before the fumbled mesh, during the timeout commercials my wife asked me if I was nervous. I said I’m not nervous, but 22 years as a Tech fan - I know how this ends. We’re going to drive it down and fumble. Blocked field goal. Something stupid will happen and we’ll beat ourselves after a near perfect game. And then the fumbled mesh and I was just like…here we go. And it never happened. Maybe it’s finally our time.
Ididn't have that feeling - I thought we would WIN it but I'm usually optimistic with us and I think we clutch out most of the time if it's close - Our problem is sometimes we just get beat and bad

We got Tech at +10. I felt good about covering 13, the original line.
I was not 100% we could cover the 10 (probably about 95% sure) but enough so that we put money on it. Must have been some money coming in on Tech to lower the line like that late.

Here’s one of the better Irish newspaper articles about the game that I’ve found:

Anybody found any comment from actual Irish locals about the game? I’m curious how they perceived it.

JRjr
I don't have any links but I have anecdotes.

I talked to a number of Irish fans in the pubs before the games. You could tell who they were, they were mostly wearing various NFL jerseys. I didn't get to talk to any after the game, but these guys are big American football fans and a couple I talked to even fly to the US every year or two to watch some NFL games live. I've got zero doubt they were *very* impressed with GT. Many of them were pulling for GT to start with, b/c the Irish love an underdog.

I sat next to an older Irish couple and they loved it. The husband had on a Falcons jersey and was pulling for Tech, and kept fist bumping me. Was glad to have him there since I was sitting with FSU friends in their section. I did have to explain some rules to him here and there, though.

On the train to Howth the next day I ran into an Irishman decked out in Tech gear -- GT jersey and GT hat. He had Packers and NFL logo pins on his jacket, so he was another of those Irish NFL fans who has now adopted Tech as his college team and is showing out after the big win. How cool is that? I really wish I'd gotten a photo with him.

JRjr

I’m here for “at the death” being used to denote the end of the game.

Despite frequently shortening our respective names to Georgia and Florida, that was charming write-up. Thanks for sharing.

Back