#GTvsUVA - Coach Collins Postgame Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a different argument. I’m in favor of going for the win and going for two in the right moment as in when the opportunity to win the game presents itself and you have the momentum. I totally agree that those were good calls on their part. But what we did was chase the points early which 1) allows your opponent to adjust on their possessions. 2) eliminates your ability to go for the XP tie in the event of a penalty during the 2 point try.

that’s all he was doing. Going for the win while still having an emergency backup plan. We were going for the win while holding on to the chance of some miracle occurring in OT.

Going for 2 on that touchdown was on the same level as GOL kicking on 3rd or PJ letting UGA score.

that’s all he was doing. Going for the win while still having an emergency backup plan. We were going for the win while holding on to the chance of some miracle occurring in OT.

Going for 2 on that touchdown was on the same level as GOL kicking on 3rd or PJ letting UGA score.
I think it was an impulsive call based on momentum. We didn’t need to do it. It’s not the same as being down 15. I don’t know of any coach who goes for two there unless the kicker is really shaky. Our coach does not have a track record for making next level strategic moves. It requires a lot of mental gymnastics to turn this into one. You essentially risk the option of going for the win later for the benefit of making the GW play easier in the future. I don’t see that as a good risk/reward analysis.

So you were warned about it BEFORE you joined yet you’re here whining about it now? Sounds about right.
I'm not whining about anything. I'm just pointing out how childish some of the posters on here are. Boys' locker room humor is definitely not a sign of maturity or class.

But what we did was chase the points early which 1) allows your opponent to adjust on their possessions. 2) eliminates your ability to go for the XP tie in the event of a penalty during the 2 point try.

1) If our opponent got another possession the game was over, so I don't really see how this statement applies to our situation.

2) Can you elaborate further? If we had gotten a penalty on the 2 point try, why couldn't we have decided to go for the XP instead? Then we still would have been in a position to either tie it with a touchdown and an XP or win it with a touchdown and a successful 2 point try.

Last edited:
Yeah, because sportswriters would vote one of our guys due to the fact that our rushing stats were best in the conference. It doesn't change reality that we were not good at executing the blocking schemes the last 5 years except for second half of the 2014 season. If you really search your mind, you will remember the frustration of our linemen spinning around to watch their missed assignment tackle our guy. We just gave up 48 pts, though, so I find it hard to see why it is relevant to make the first post you made on this subject.

I don't think anyone misremembers how bad our passpro was under sewak. I think the point is that we could at least run block with the belly flop technique. We seem to be struggling with both run & pass blocking this year.

I don't think anyone misremembers how bad our passpro was under sewak. I think the point is that we could at least run block with the belly flop technique. We seem to be struggling with both run & pass blocking this year.
No, we couldn't. Don't let the fog of war cloud your memory. We were really bad at run blocking the last few years.

We really couldn't towards the end of his tenure. It got painful to watch because you could see how the setup for a big gain was there but our guys just couldn't get the blocks off. That was only the last two years or so though.

We really couldn't towards the end of his tenure. It got painful to watch because you could see how the setup for a big gain was there but our guys just couldn't get the blocks off. That was only the last two years or so though.
I'd argue longer, but yeah.

No, we couldn't. Don't let the fog of war cloud your memory. We were really bad at run blocking the last few years.

FWIW

2021: averaged 184 rush yards / gm (4.73 / att)
2020: averaged 212 rush yards / gm (4.06 / att)
2019: averaged 168 rush yards / gm (4.22 / att)
2018: averaged 325 rush yards / gm (5.68 / att)
2017: averaged 307 rush yards / gm (5.37 / att)
2016: averaged 255 rush yards / gm (5.47 / att)

OK, so you decide to go for two and allow a non-quarterback to throw a pass. Now that does make sense.

I'm not whining about anything. I'm just pointing out how childish some of the posters on here are. Boys' locker room humor is definitely not a sign of maturity or class.
You joined 8 1/2 years ago. Why are you just getting around to whining now? After that long one would figure that you know the lay of the land and realize it ain't gonna change cuz your fee-fees are offended.

We went for two because we didn’t think we could win in OT. If you go for two on the last TD and don’t get it the game is over. If you go for two on the second to last TD and don’t get it you can still go for two to tie on the last TD.

That logic doesn’t really make sense - by going for 2 earlier, you’re just locking in your decision if you score again at the end of the game. Make it and you can kick an XP to win, which is good. But miss it and you HAVE to go for 2 again just to tie at the end, and you’ve already shown them one (or two) of your best shots for a 2-pt conversion.

Kick the XP on the last TD and you’re down 7. That way, if you score again you have the option to kick an XP for OT or go for 2 for the win. The higher percentage play on the earlier TD gives you two good options on the later TD. The lower percentage play on the earlier TD is more of a gamble because if it fails then you’ve tied your hands and the next one becomes even harder.

JRjr

You joined 8 1/2 years ago. Why are you just getting around to whining now? After that long one would figure that you know the lay of the land and realize it ain't gonna change cuz your fee-fees are offended.

It also takes a special kind of arrogance to come into a forum and expect all the people already there to change to match your sensibilities.

JRjr

That logic doesn’t really make sense - by going for 2 earlier, you’re just locking in your decision if you score again at the end of the game. Make it and you can kick an XP to win, which is good. But miss it and you HAVE to go for 2 again just to tie at the end, and you’ve already shown them one (or two) of your best shots for a 2-pt conversion.

Kick the XP on the last TD and you’re down 7. That way, if you score again you have the option to kick an XP for OT or go for 2 for the win. The higher percentage play on the earlier TD gives you two good options on the later TD. The lower percentage play on the earlier TD is more of a gamble because if it fails then you’ve tied your hands and the next one becomes even harder.

JRjr
No way. The decision was smart.

We're talking about percentages so tiny here. If you're going to pull off what needed to be pulled off, screw it - go for the W instead of "only" pushing it to OT.

No way. The decision was smart.

We're talking about percentages so tiny here. If you're going to pull off what needed to be pulled off, screw it - go for the W instead of "only" pushing it to OT.

I’m saying that going for 2 later gives you a slightly better chance of winning than going for it earlier, assuming you only have a finite well of good 2-pt plays (we already ran one earlier in the game, too) and luck.

The only real reason to go for 2 earlier is if you were trying to beat the 6.5 point spread. We had the collective prayers of a bunch of gamblers working against us in that conversion attempt, too.

JRjr

1) If our opponent got another possession the game was over, so I don't really see how this statement applies to our situation.

2) Can you elaborate further? If we had gotten a penalty on the 2 point try, why couldn't we have decided to go for the XP instead? Then we still would have been in a position to either tie it with a touchdown and an XP or win it with a touchdown and a successful 2 point try.
I’m saying that going for 2 later gives you a slightly better chance of winning than going for it earlier, assuming you only have a finite well of good 2-pt plays (we already ran one earlier in the game, too) and luck.

The only real reason to go for 2 earlier is if you were trying to beat the 6.5 point spread. We had the collective prayers of a bunch of gamblers working against us in that conversion attempt, too.

JRjr

I think going for two early is intended to try and win the game, not tie the game and go into OT and that is the difference. Assuming success rates of 50% on going for two, you have a 50% chance of winning the game with a TD and XP or if you miss, you still have a 50% chance of tieing the game anyway. The odds stack up in your favor for going for it early.

We will continue to wash and rinse. On Monday, we're going to go back to work and work on getting better at repeating.
We are already excellent at repeating. Headline after the Duke game was something to the effect of, "Georgia Tech Defense Making the Most of Off Week"..... now that is funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back