Here’s the Thing

I don't follow you. Let me just plain about what I'm saying 'exceptions' mean, and see if you agree.

My view is that while there are plenty of academic constraints on GT football, the staff of the admissions office is not among them. If a player wants to come to GT, and if the football staff have a good faith belief that the player can succeed here, then the admissions office works with the coaching staff to get the kid eligible. In the first few years of CPJ's tenure, there were some prominent recruits who couldn't get in bc of X, Y or Z — but as CPJ has demonstrated a commitment to kids' academic success, and proved it with grades and graduation rates, there's been administrative pressure to trust the staff and get kids in. We've obviously also had plenty of examples where kids got in but couldn't hack it and never saw the field. But again, that's not on the admissions staff.

My conversation with CPJ was not some in-depth behind-the-scenes exploration of this issue. It was a handful of boosters asking him if this was a problem, and him saying it wasn't.

I don't understand what else the word "exception" could mean. It means an applicant who wouldn't be admitted, but because the coaching staff wants him, he's granted an exception from the regular admission standards.
Tampa's definition is correct. It's not "regular admission standards" that are lowered because a coach wants a player, it is our own "football program standards" that exceptions don't meet. Without these players, we have ZERO football tradition at Tech, unless you consider RICE to have a football tradition.

Our "football standards" would qualify a player for admission to the vast majority of football programs. Yes, they are significantly lower than Tech regular student standards, yet higher than almost all D-1 "football standards". Your "because the coach wants em" standard, is what is used by most of our competition.

When we have the highest SAT scores among football players in the nation among public schools......we have an incredibly smaller pool to recruit from.

We had two nfl DTs the day cpj arrived.. none since ( not to mention d.morgan and m. Johnson)
Why do we go to another CONTINENT to recruit DL players that are difference makers? I think you missed my larger point---we have had DL (especially interior war daddies) recruitment problems during SEVERAL coaching staffs prior to CPJ.

Tampa's definition is correct. It's not "regular admission standards" that are lowered because a coach wants a player, it is our own "football program standards" that exceptions don't meet. Without these players, we have ZERO football tradition at Tech, unless you consider RICE to have a football tradition.

Our "football standards" would qualify a player for admission to the vast majority of football programs. Yes, they are significantly lower than Tech regular student standards, yet higher than almost all D-1 "football standards". Your "because the coach wants em" standard, is what is used by most of our competition.

When we have the highest SAT scores among football players in the nation among public schools......we have an incredibly smaller pool to recruit from.
That does not make any sense to me. C'est la vie.

Here's the Thing:

thing2.jpg
https://media.giphy.com/media/xpbG0oWGMSMI8/giphy.gif

Tech regular student body standard > Tech football std> Tech football exception std> most any D-1/NCAA football std>because coach wants em std.

The NCAA minimum SAT requirement is on a sliding scale with gpa. Obviously, football stars get hs grade inflation, so let's assume they have a 3.0 gpa which requires a 620 SAT (you get 400 for showing up with a pulse!). Let's assume the hs grades more fairly with the player sporting a 2.5 gpa--this requires a whopping 820 SAT. Our student body averages around 1400/1430. Our football team averages around 1000/1100. Just guessing our exceptions score around 900/950.

The first example above with an inflated 3.0/620 SAT, is how you get kids like Mitchell who read at a Jr.High level. Why? Because the coach wants em! And in this case as in most cases, the coach damn well knows the "score".

We had two nfl DTs the day cpj arrived.. none since ( not to mention d.morgan and m. Johnson)
One, you're playing fast and loose with the definition of "nfl DTs" by applying that label to Daryl Richard.
Two, Adam Gotsis.

What's not to understand? GT exceptions would not even need to be exceptions at other schools. Even with these exceptions, there are still tons of players that are not even a recruiting option for us due to grades, test scores, or both.

Just guessing our exceptions score around 900/950.
This summarizes what I hear in these responses. Where did you get that number from? I was told by CPJ that he gets the exceptions he wants. That's good enough for me.

What's not to understand? GT exceptions would not even need to be exceptions at other schools. Even with these exceptions, there are still tons of players that are not even a recruiting option for us due to grades, test scores, or both.
It's almost like you didn't read my post...

This summarizes what I hear in these responses. Where did you get that number from? I was told by CPJ that he gets the exceptions he wants. That's good enough for me.
Maybe CPJ pre-filters "the exceptions he wants" based on what he knows about Tech's curriculum/workload? That would support GoldZ's formulation while CPJ would still give you the answer he gave.

There are GT exceptions (players who are admitted even though they do not meet GT standards) and then there are NCAA exceptions (players who do not meet NCAA minimum standards.) NCAA minimums are MUCH lower than GT minimums.

To my knowledge, we do not grant exceptions to any players who do not meet NCAA minimums, but many schools do.

But I also think the staff doesn't ask for exceptions on kids they don't believe will survive the academics at GT.

Tech fans. Just ask yourself, if you as a dad had a son that was a very good football player, and had several scholarship offers including Tech, would you want him to play for Paul Johnson?

Tech fans. Just ask yourself, if you as a dad had a son that was a very good football player, and had several scholarship offers including Tech, would you want him to play for Paul Johnson?
depends on what position he played. anywhere on the defense? sure.

the better question is how many of those kids were coming to play for Chan? or how many would come play for whomever is our next coach?

there is no doubt that Paul and his offense can take unheralded recruits, undersized guys, and effectively utilize them to win games. and if those are the guys we're going to get anyways, then we need someone who can use them best. and Paul is that guy.

Hell yes... he doesnt pull schollies like saban, etc

Back