Here’s the Thing

It's almost like you didn't read my post...
I read what you said. I just think CPJ is smart enough to realize that there's no point getting an exception for a kid with a 2.8 GPA who scored an 800 on his SAT, because he ain't passing calculus. So when he says he's getting the exceptions he needs, I realize that still doesn't mean we're recruiting from the same pool of kids as 95% of our FBS competition.

Tech fans. Just ask yourself, if you as a dad had a son that was a very good football player, and had several scholarship offers including Tech, would you want him to play for Paul Johnson?

That's a great question. Twelve years ago my son was a high school Senior and received some recruiting notice - He was a 6'3", 270 pound center. Most of the big schools simply did not believe he had the combination of height, weight, speed and strength they were looking for. The Gailey staff was very cordial, had him on their board for OL, but honestly told him it would be very unlikely he would be offered. He would have signed with them in a minute if offered. He learned a lot at their prospect camp from Coach Dee and was impressed with Coach Gailey. You should have seen him at camp trying to block a DL a year younger from Texas by the name of Morgan. It was the only ACC school other than UNC and Coach Bunting that gave him the time of day.

I would have loved for Coach Johnson to have been the coach at the time of his recruitment. He liked snapping to a QB under center, was a better run blocker than pass blocker, and loved to block low. He just might have been a fit. I think Paul Johnson and his staff are good men of integrity. I would want my kid to play for him. My only reservation would be his tendency to at times throw players under the bus with his comments when they under perform and he seems to have a doghouse that some land in from time to time. But, yes, I would want my son to play for CPJ.

Who is there that I know enough about to say I would want my son to play for? I do hear from my son, now in his 8th year of coaching football back at his high school alma mater, about which programs have coaches that are great with kids, parents and high school staffs. At the top of his list, well ahead of any other head coach and staff, is a fellow named Dabo at a school doing pretty well just across the South Carolina border. Cutcliffe ranks high and his staff at Duke. They are OK with Doeren and don't find Fedora too likable. Actually, Muschamp and Mendenhall and their staffs do well with coaching staffs. And, the coach and staff up at James Madison is outstanding. This is where a school like Florida should turn.

Maybe CPJ pre-filters "the exceptions he wants" based on what he knows about Tech's curriculum/workload? That would support GoldZ's formulation while CPJ would still give you the answer he gave.
Um, yes, like I posted previously.

Tech fans. Just ask yourself, if you as a dad had a son that was a very good football player, and had several scholarship offers including Tech, would you want him to play for Paul Johnson?

Depends on what position, his intelligence, and NFL prospects.

Ex: If my son's smart and is a good PK, hell yes.

So when he says he's getting the exceptions he needs, I realize that still doesn't mean we're recruiting from the same pool of kids as 95% of our FBS competition.
Yes, as do I. What are we arguing about?

Last edited:
This summarizes what I hear in these responses. Where did you get that number from? I was told by CPJ that he gets the exceptions he wants. That's good enough for me.
Logic. Exception likely to be somewhat lower than avg, but not so much as to be ridiculous.

depends on what position he played. anywhere on the defense? sure.

the better question is how many of those kids were coming to play for Chan? or how many would come play for whomever is our next coach?

there is no doubt that Paul and his offense can take unheralded recruits, undersized guys, and effectively utilize them to win games. and if those are the guys we're going to get anyways, then we need someone who can use them best. and Paul is that guy.
Yea, I thought about the "position" question afterwards, that could make a difference, but it was a stand alone question re: PJ.

Absolutely I would.

But I wouldn't mind getting a couple hundred thousand dollars under the table for him to go to Auburn.

Maybe CPJ pre-filters "the exceptions he wants" based on what he knows about Tech's curriculum/workload? That would support GoldZ's formulation while CPJ would still give you the answer he gave.
Here is the thing: EVERY D1 program makes some exceptions to allow players who otherwise wouldn't sniff the school's acceptable ACT/SAT/GPA requirements. Anyone on here that thinks Tech doesn't is living in a delusional world. Does Tech recruit morons and tries to linp them through the curriculum? Absolutely not.

But the sidelines in front of the West stands has a bunch of guys who otherwise wouldn't have gotten a look at Tech. And truly that is OK. Sports, particularly football and basketball bring in revenue, donor monies and notoriety that helps every aspect of the school.

As I mentioned in another post, I follow recruiting fairly close, and there are numerous top flight players in the metro area that Tech did indeed offer, and they had no reciprocal interest. Draw your own conclusions as to why

The problem is that anybody that we get that would be better would leave to go to a higher paying gig. CPJ is a perfect fit for this program. Quit being bitches about it all the time.

Yes, that is consistent. But maybe not the kind of consistency to brag about. I am not trying to say Tech should recruit on a par with Bama, FSU, Clem, UGA, etc. But it does bother me that a large number of 4 and 5 star athletes are right under Tech's nose, (and BTW, Tech did try to recruit them, but they just had no interest). Again, I am not saying Johnson should be run off, but I will never believe him and his "system" are the best Tech can hope for.
BuzzLaw just made it abundantly clear that the wealth of 4 & 5 star talent you mention are under our nose, were not interested in us BEFORE, actually LOOONG before CPJ set foot on campus. Who were the 5 best players for your high school in the last 25 years, and how many of them wanted to bust their arses academically at Ma Tech? There's your answer.
CPJ may in fact not be the best we can do, but who else is going to do an order of magnitude better under the same academic and non-bagmen environment he's operating under? If a GT alum offered to pay Saban $50 Mil a year to coach under the exact same circumstances and he brought Clemson's DC with him, I doubt more than a one win per year difference would materialize (examine Saban's record prior to having LSU/Bama's players/low entrance requirements/crimp majors/bagmen, etc. etc.

BuzzLaw just made it abundantly clear that the wealth of 4 & 5 star talent you mention are under our nose, were not interested in us BEFORE, actually LOOONG before CPJ set foot on campus. Who were the 5 best players for your high school in the last 25 years, and how many of them wanted to bust their arses academically at Ma Tech? There's your answer.
CPJ may in fact not be the best we can do, but who else is going to do an order of magnitude better under the same academic and non-bagmen environment he's operating under? If a GT alum offered to pay Saban $50 Mil a year to coach under the exact same circumstances and he brought Clemson's DC with him, I doubt more than a one win per year difference would materialize (examine Saban's record prior to having LSU/Bama's players/low entrance requirements/crimp majors/bagmen, etc. etc.
You make some valid points. But at the same time there absolutely are some kids that are outstanding athletes and at the same time value a top flight education. My point in all this is to disagree with some of the posters who believe that Johnson and his system are the pinnacle of what Tech can hope for.

Back