Here we go again. Conference expansion

I’m for not expanding just because everyone else is doing it. But, if ND decided to join, I’m all for it. Conference is too big already.

I’d be ok with them out too. Didn’t even think of them to be honest.
I’m only for ND and Penn State (or one of the other top B1G teams if they were to want to leave, which they aren’t).

I’m also for kicking WF, Duke, and BC out.
Hard to convince the commissioner of the best basketball conference to kick out basketball schools

There are rumors swirling around USC shopping their program to get more national recognition to jump start their football program. Most of the talking heads are saying they’re talking to B10, but if the ACC can bag them with ND, that would be a huge push on getting us headed in the right direction. ND gets a nationwide schedule built in an ACC schedule, USC gets coverage coast to coast with access to southeastern recruiting grounds, and the ACC opens up California recruiting and markets. Hopefully we’re not asleep at the wheel here. That could dramatically alter the ACC’s attractiveness in attracting other high end programs (PSU).
Notre Dame is not going to join a basketball conference. And that’s what the ACC is, always has been, and always will be. The ACC minus Clemson and Bobby Bowden is a crappy football conference, and ND wants no part. Can’t blame them.

Notre Dame is not going to join a basketball conference. And that’s what the ACC is, always has been, and always will be. The ACC minus Clemson and Bobby Bowden is a crappy football conference, and ND wants no part. Can’t blame them.
BALONEY

There’s only 1 true football first and football only conference, and I doubt they join the SEC anytime soon. ND had a list of boxes they consider essential, national schedules with national coverage being among them. I would venture a guess that access to southern recruiting territory also being important, along with ideally associating with other like minded institutions. The ACC checks those boxes (with a USC addition) better than their alternative via the dust bowl conference.

“I don’t want Florida State to be left behind,” said Thrasher. “I consider us as part of the ACC, but I also know that we have a marquee name, Clemson has a marquee name. I think there might be people coming after us, I don’t know, but we’ve got to be prepared no matter what the options are.”

If FSU's President said they want to be in SEC, then FSU should be kicked out of ACC right now. They might discover they're not as great as they think they are. If FSU got kicked out of the ACC, they might be surprised that the SEC doesn't want or need them. We need to kick ND out unless they join for FB, too.

The ACC has got go show some self-respect and pride

If FSU's President said they want to be in SEC, then FSU should be kicked out of ACC right now. They might discover they're not as great as they think they are. If FSU got kicked out of the ACC, they might be surprised that the SEC doesn't want or need them. We need to kick ND out unless they join for FB, too.

Yes. Let’s make what their president said into a Dodd level error.

Who needs who? If Clemson and FSU were gone is the conference capable of carrying competitive football teams? If the SEC added those two and Michigan/Ohio State what is there left?

We can try to force their hand by making the conference exit payout extreme maybe.

The rest of college football allowed a handful of well funded programs to make this almost entirely a funding arms race. They did not force the NCAA to fix the problem, and now it is too late. The SEC with OSU and Clemson would have more power than the NCAA if they dont already. The NCAA will do whatever the SEC tells them to do from then on.

If the OSU/Mich/Clem/FSU deal was to happen, the other schools have to split from the SEC. If the NCAA sides with the SEC at all, then cast them aside also.

Be real. That 20 team league will simply be a different tier. Currently Div1 is two tiers P5 and everyone else. With that new SEC tier, we wont be in the top anymore. We will get treated like non power 5 is now.

Understand, that is under a hypothetical 20 team SEC that includes Clem, FSU, OSU, and Mich.

I’d welcome letting the SEC become minor league pro football and the rest of the teams going back to student athletes and less money all around. Put some integrity back into the game.

But no one will let go of the money.

As such, the right move is to isolate the SEC and/or to build a competing conference. I didn’t read the NASCAR article, but I used to go to the races and now I couldn’t tell you a thing about it.

My interest in college football is going in the same direction.

FSU hasn’t been a decent football program for quite a while. Why would SEC even want them?

Who needs who? If Clemson and FSU were gone is the conference capable of carrying competitive football teams? If the SEC added those two and Michigan/Ohio State what is there left?

We can try to force their hand by making the conference exit payout extreme maybe.

The rest of college football allowed a handful of well funded programs to make this almost entirely a funding arms race. They did not force the NCAA to fix the problem, and now it is too late. The SEC with OSU and Clemson would have more power than the NCAA if they dont already. The NCAA will do whatever the SEC tells them to do from then on.

If the OSU/Mich/Clem/FSU deal was to happen, the other schools have to split from the SEC. If the NCAA sides with the SEC at all, then cast them aside also.

Be real. That 20 team league will simply be a different tier. Currently Div1 is two tiers P5 and everyone else. With that new SEC tier, we wont be in the top anymore. We will get treated like non power 5 is now.

Understand, that is under a hypothetical 20 team SEC that includes Clem, FSU, OSU, and Mich.

That could backfire on them so easily though. By creating a super league the sport would probably collapse and so would the massive revenues. You would hope they would not be so short sighted to remove any hope of competition from any school outside of a handful of schools. If that were to happen the ratings would collapse. Personally, in that scenario my weekends in the woods would dramatically increase in the fall.

What POSSIBLE reasons could you have for arguing the ACC is even a decent football league? 0-6 in bowls last year, 4-6 the season before that, and 5-5 the year before that.

Well, by that reasoning the best football conference last year was the Big 12, and the best football conference over the past 10 years is Conference USA. :dunno:

The ACC has more Bowl Challege Cup championships than the Big 10, PAC 10, or Big 12. Historically the conference with the best bowl record is the Mountain West with 4 Bowl Challenge Cup Championships. ACC is about middle of the pack and second best P5 conference.

If you want to look at Playoff National Champions, the ACC had more Champions and more Championship appearances than any conference except the SEC.

Could the r
I’d welcome letting the SEC become minor league pro football and the rest of the teams going back to student athletes and less money all around. Put some integrity back into the game.

But no one will let go of the money.

As such, the right move is to isolate the SEC and/or to build a competing conference. I didn’t read the NASCAR article, but I used to go to the races and now I couldn’t tell you a thing about it.

My interest in college football is going in the same direction.
Amen. It would be impossible to compete with the 20 team SEC under the NCAA, because the SEC rules the NCAA and they would make sure the rules make it impossible for the rest of us to compete.

However, if we were not affiliated with the SEC via the NCAA, we could make our own rules. Why does a football player have 5 to play 4 after HS graduation? If they are enrolled, let them play. If some NFL retiree wants to finish his degree why cant he play college football?

Better, why make them go to school the same time as playing anyway? It is dumb. If the SEC wants to spin all the rest of Div 1 off, lets build our own model. First, forget recruiting. Lets have tryouts. Whoever makes the team it is 100% football until they are NFL draft eligible. No classes and that BS "SA" game when we know at Alabama it is 99% athlete/1% student. Make it weights, drills, scrimmages, film, coaching 24-7. If you make the NFL, great. If not, for each year you played, you get one year of tuition paid. Come back and get a degree when you can focus on the degree. Maybe think of it like the GI bill for athletes.

Well, by that reasoning the best football conference last year was the Big 12, and the best football conference over the past 10 years is Conference USA. :dunno:

The ACC has more Bowl Challege Cup championships than the Big 10, PAC 10, or Big 12. Historically the conference with the best bowl record is the Mountain West with 4 Bowl Challenge Cup Championships. ACC is about middle of the pack and second best P5 conference.

If you want to look at Playoff National Champions, the ACC had more Champions and more Championship appearances than any conference except the SEC.
And a lot of that has to do with crap bowl arrangements and our conference having a lot of crap teams (us included recently). If you were a bowl exec, do you really want an arrangement with the acc team where you may end up with Duke, Wake, Pitt, BC or Syracuse? We aren’t great and we are probably the 4-5th most desirable team in the conference when it comes to bowl $. Virginia sucks too when it comes to getting a crowd for a bowl game.

You know how else to try to break this SEC bullshit up? Why not replicate the model used at the big soccer clubs? Reopen the high school up on campus. Identify youngsters. Contract with them.

Back