Here we go again. Conference expansion

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
You know how else to try to break this SEC bullshit up? Why not replicate the model used at the big soccer clubs? Reopen the high school up on campus. Identify youngsters. Contract with them.
Wut? How does that break the SEC up? Are the youngsters suddenly not going to be enamored with the SEC?

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
B
I’d welcome letting the SEC become minor league pro football and the rest of the teams going back to student athletes and less money all around. Put some integrity back into the game.

But no one will let go of the money.

As such, the right move is to isolate the SEC and/or to build a competing conference. I didn’t read the NASCAR article, but I used to go to the races and now I couldn’t tell you a thing about it.

My interest in college football is going in the same direction.
Best and most realistic post on the board. GT will never be able to compete with programs that pay players on the table and under the table and are “going to college” just to get a crack at the NFL. I’m done with that part of “college “ football.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
whose going to lose the conference games? somebody's got to lose the games...
Exactly what I was going to say.
And if OSU and Michigan were to go to the SEC, then we pick up PSU and ND like we should anyway.
And the NLI idea for 13 year olds is good, just start being smart and competitive.

Zaac2000

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I’m for not expanding just because everyone else is doing it. But, if ND decided to join, I’m all for it. Conference is too big already.
Yall do realize that don't the folks in positions of power don't really care if you think the conferences are too big. Right?

This is about money and power. Your feelings are irrelevant. If the ACC doesn't expand in a manner that lets it renegotiate its tv rights, then it's a wrap. It'll fall even further behind in team revenue distribution and teams will leave for the greener gra$$!

If the SEC is trying to build a superconference, beat them to it. Unless there's already some backroom deal that pulls all of the ACC teams into the SEC Superconference, merge with PAC-12 or BIG-10. If the BIG wants to maintain its fake academic requirements, it could easily make a grab for the 12 ACC/PAC schools (Duke, GT, Stanford, U of Arizona, Cal Berkley, UCLA, USC, North Carolina, U of Oregon, Pitt, Virginia, U of Washington) that have AAU membership.

Or the ACC can take the lead and merge with the PAC and grabbing ND and Penn State.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Yall do realize that don't the folks in positions of power don't really care if you think the conferences are too big. Right?

This is about money and power. Your feelings are irrelevant. If the ACC doesn't expand in a manner that lets it renegotiate its tv rights, then it's a wrap. It'll fall even further behind in team revenue distribution and teams will leave for the greener gra$$!

If the SEC is trying to build a superconference, beat them to it. Unless there's already some backroom deal that pulls all of the ACC teams into the SEC Superconference, merge with PAC-12 or BIG-10. If the BIG wants to maintain its fake academic requirements, it could easily make a grab for the 12 ACC/PAC schools (Duke, GT, Stanford, U of Arizona, Cal Berkley, UCLA, USC, North Carolina, U of Oregon, Pitt, Virginia, U of Washington) that have AAU membership.

Or the ACC can take the lead and merge with the PAC and grabbing ND and Penn State.
I like your first plan. It guts the ACC; but it gets us out of a conference that includes powers like Wake, NCState, and others. Tough part is it doesn't give us many regional games. UNC, Duke, UVa & Maryland would probably be our normal schedule (assuming Duke gets picked up).

This is Tucker

Medical redshirt poster
Exactly what I was going to say.
And if OSU and Michigan were to go to the SEC, then we pick up PSU and ND like we should anyway.
And the NLI idea for 13 year olds is good, just start being smart and competitive.
I don't see a scenario where the mediocrity is not expanded in the sec..

to the delusional sec fan, 2 losses are a disappointment, 3 losses an embarrassment, 4 losses a catastrophe, 5 losses is a radioactive coaching hot seat.

adding programs where this is the outlook - they don't seem to realize that crooked number loss season is going to be the rule, not the exception

well, that will be the case for at least 10 or 12, maybe more, of the 18, 20 teams.... more than half the programs "tennesseeing" themselves, grinding thru coaches every 3rd year or so (we can only hope the cesspool will slide onto this broad road.)

and increased conference games? forget 9, you ought to play 10! show me the money! show me the losses!!!

frankly, I welcome this collection of high brow programs joining their own little club... have at it and tear yourselves apart...

kind of humorous that f$u wants to move to the sec so they can take their place alongside vandy and miss st as the "prison b***h" on Saturday afternoons...or mornings, the 11am kickoff on the "sec 3" network

JJacket

If FSU wants to punk themselves out to the SEC like little bitches, let them.

Yea, money is important to the programs, absolutely. Ultimately, the money comes out of our pockets and there will come a time when SEC football is looked at like NASCAR. Nobody could have ever figured 30 years ago that there wouldn't be a packed house and a waiting list for Bristol tickets. Now, you can walk right up and buy them on raceday.

supersenior

Jolly Good Fellow
. Nobody could have ever figured 30 years ago that there wouldn't be a packed house and a waiting list for Bristol tickets. Now, you can walk right up and buy them on raceday.
I might give this a shot one year. I've never watched a full Nascar race but I went to Bristol with some friends for the ut/VT game and it was fun as hell. Definitely moreso the booze/rv than the event itself so should carry over.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I might give this a shot one year. I've never watched a full Nascar race but I went to Bristol with some friends for the ut/VT game and it was fun as hell. Definitely moreso the booze/rv than the event itself so should carry over.
Bristol def has some action and fun.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I don't see a scenario where the mediocrity is not expanded in the sec..

to the delusional sec fan, 2 losses are a disappointment, 3 losses an embarrassment, 4 losses a catastrophe, 5 losses is a radioactive coaching hot seat.

adding programs where this is the outlook - they don't seem to realize that crooked number loss season is going to be the rule, not the exception

well, that will be the case for at least 10 or 12, maybe more, of the 18, 20 teams.... more than half the programs "tennesseeing" themselves, grinding thru coaches every 3rd year or so (we can only hope the cesspool will slide onto this broad road.)

and increased conference games? forget 9, you ought to play 10! show me the money! show me the losses!!!

frankly, I welcome this collection of high brow programs joining their own little club... have at it and tear yourselves apart...

kind of humorous that f$u wants to move to the sec so they can take their place alongside vandy and miss st as the "prison b***h" on Saturday afternoons...or mornings, the 11am kickoff on the "sec 3" network
They do have to have cannon fodder. Even if the rest of Div 1 splits off they will bring in second tier teams for beatdowns.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I guess I’m on to the acceptance phase. We will just have to see how this shakes out. The next ten years will be the most important in Tech football history. Sept 4th will be here soon…

JJacket

I guess I’m on to the acceptance phase. We will just have to see how this shakes out. The next ten years will be the most important in Tech football history. Sept 4th will be here soon…
If it gets bad, I will bail after 55 years of GT fandom. I've been through a lot with GT football. I remember naively thinking we were back when we beat them out of the box in 1981.

We do have a 1 game win streak over Alabama going

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
The FSU brand thing seems a bit of a mystery - only logic I can see is rabid sec style fan base who, in lieu of anything else to be excited about, will throw their last nickel at football.

If the south/eastern chunk of the ACC jumping to big 10 idea happened, I’d get behind it. Keep 4-5 historical acc rivals. I assume Atlanta is packed full of big 10 alums, down here for jobs and the weather. Couldn’t we pick up fans from that? People who cheer for GT except maybe when they play xyz?

My uninformed guess is the ACC will just settle for being #3 for now, otherwise it will take sec or big 10 forcing the issue.

Adding WVU seems just another Lville to me, without their basketball. Having lived in NC, I always looked at the acc through the lens of Tobacco Road basketball and assumed that helped explain adding Lville.

JJacket

The FSU brand thing seems a bit of a mystery - only logic I can see is rabid sec style fan base who, in lieu of anything else to be excited about, will throw their last nickel at football.

If the south/eastern chunk of the ACC jumping to big 10 idea happened, I’d get behind it. Keep 4-5 historical acc rivals. I assume Atlanta is packed full of big 10 alums, down here for jobs and the weather. Couldn’t we pick up fans from that? People who cheer for GT except maybe when they play xyz?

My uninformed guess is the ACC will just settle for being #3 for now, otherwise it will take sec or big 10 forcing the issue.

Adding WVU seems just another Lville to me, without their basketball. Having lived in NC, I always looked at the acc through the lens of Tobacco Road basketball and assumed that helped explain adding Lville.
FSU hasn't been exactly filling their stadium with their rabid fanbase. They would do much better playing Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Miami every season.

I'd say ND, but ND is a big draw for every team.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
FSU hasn't been exactly filling their stadium with their rabid fanbase. They would do much better playing Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Miami every season.

I'd say ND, but ND is a big draw for every team.
Our brand would be much better playing teams that anyone in this area gives a damned about. Same for FSU. Football is much more fun when you have people to discuss with. People here are far more interested in the outcome of Auburn vs Ole Miss than they are Tech v Pitt or FSU v Syracuse. IIWII.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Our brand would be much better playing teams that anyone in this area gives a damned about. Same for FSU. Football is much more fun when you have people to discuss with. People here are far more interested in the outcome of Auburn vs Ole Miss than they are Tech v Pitt or FSU v Syracuse. IIWII.
You do realize if Clemson and FSU left then that ship is long gone, right?

Big 10 is in as deep of öööö as we are if OSU gets poached. At that point it's every man for himself. We need to be positioned to be in the next 20 teams, which I think we are. But personally I would like the non-SEC teams to get together and split from the SEC. Set rules for competition that make sense, including restoring amateurism, and play for a non-SEC national championship and let the SEC play for their "national" championship.

JJacket

You do realize if Clemson and FSU left then that ship is long gone, right?

Big 10 is in as deep of öööö as we are if OSU gets poached. At that point it's every man for himself. We need to be positioned to be in the next 20 teams, which I think we are. But personally I would like the non-SEC teams to get together and split from the SEC. Set rules for competition that make sense, including restoring amateurism, and play for a non-SEC national championship and let the SEC play for their "national" championship.
Or, I just do more fall hiking and kayaking