Here we go again. Conference expansion

I have never watched a Missouri, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas game. I have watched UT maybe three times (other than w/Tech), USCe three times, etc. The SEC has the same crappy teams as the ACC.

Tech beat Kentucky 33-18 in the 2016 Gator bowl, so you are a öööö fan for skipping it.

We even had a pretty good contingent there. Crowd looked like 60/40 KY/Tech from the stands.

Well, sure, it adds interest to play your neighbor's team. But the "I don't care about VT" rant is a bias of being on the edge of the core for GT vs the center. The ACC core of 7-8 teams is much tighter than the SEC. Hell, I bet Wake is closer to GT by car than UGA is to anyone but USC. We border 7 schools while UGA only 6. ACC not splitting geographically was a mistake but iiwii.

The ACC had the tightest core of any conference, and it did not result in football obsessed fans like the SEC. The difference is in what the alumni had to be proud of. Only Vandy fans are honestly and legitimately proud of their academics, and they dgaf about football. The biggest football stadiums in the southern ACC are the worst academic schools.

The sidewalk fans are a similar story, but they are fickle as hell. If UGA ever had a run like Tennessee you would see things go sour quick. Pretty easy to slap a Falcons sticker over the G. Worst thing for them would be if the Falcons ever got good.

And you would lose that beat miserably. According to Google maps it is over 5 hours from GT to Wake Forest; which means the following SEC schools are closer to Athens than GT is to Wake.

USC east
UT
Auburn
Bama
Vanderbilt

And you would lose that beat miserably. According to Google maps it is over 5 hours from GT to Wake Forest; which means the following SEC schools are closer to Athens than GT is to Wake.

USC east
UT
Auburn
Bama
Vanderbilt
Nobody want to play Vanderbilt, except UGAg, who gets that powerful schedule of Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky, and USuCk every season.

It is being talked about in this thread by a few people, and I would agree with the sentiment to me the major appeal of college football for the 30 years I have memories of following it is regional rivalry’s. I don’t love the ACC and I don’t hate the SEC, I like seeing Tech play teams that I can make a road trip to if I wanted to go and talk to members of their fan base because they are in adjacent states.

Conferences expanding outside of their geographical region may be the new norm, and I may understand from a financial standpoint why they do it but I don’t have to like it. My love for college football and specifically Tech football isn’t tied to a conference and I would root for GT anyways and always whether they end up in some-hypothetical 32 teams super conference that completely alters the sport as we know it or on the outside just playing for pride like half the teams do now.

What I’m trying to articulate is for me the regional rivalries make up so much of the appeal to me that if the conferences as we know them blew up and GT had a two choices today to merge into one of two confrences, a hypotetical non-southeast elite “ (Ohio State - Michigan - Michigan State -Penn State - Nebraska - Wisconsin - Oregon - USC - Notre Dame - Stanford) and a hypothetical southeast non football elites (Wake Forest - Duke - UNC - NCState - Vandy - South Carolina - UVA - VT - UK), my vote would still be to stay regionally grouped…Which I’m sure it wouldn’t make sense from a business standpoint for tech but it makes more sense for my roadgame tailgating standpoint, which is why I care in the first place.

This is not a argument regarding the finances of the choice, simply what I value most as a college football fan from the last 30 years, and I’m worried that $ has made this way of thinking crazy.

Last edited:
It is being talked about in this thread by a few people, and I would agree with the sentiment to me the major appeal of college football for the 30 years I have memories of following it is regional rivalry’s. I don’t love the ACC and I don’t hate the SEC, I like seeing Tech play teams that I can make a road trip to if I wanted to go and talk to members of their fan base because they are in adjacent states. Conferences expanding outside of their geographical region may be the new norm, and I may understand from a financial standpoint why they do it but I don’t have to like it. My love for college football and specifically Tech football isn’t tied to a conference and I would root for GT anyways and always whether they end up in some-hypothetical 32 teams super conference that completely alters the sport as we know it or on the outside just playing for pride like half the teams do now. What I’m trying to articulate is for me the regional rivalries make up so much of the appeal to me that if the conferences as we know them blew up and GT had a two choices today to merge into one of two confrences, a hypotetical non-southeast elite “ (Ohio State - Michigan - Michigan State -Penn State - Nebraska - Wisconsin - Oregon - USC - Notre Dame - Stanford) and a hypothetical southeast non football elites (Wake Forest - Duke - UNC - NCState - Vandy - South Carolina - UVA - VT - UK), my vote would still be to stay regionally grouped…Which I’m sure it wouldn’t make sense from a business standpoint for tech but it makes more sense for my roadgame tailgating standpoint, which is why I care in the first place. This is not a argument regarding the finances of the choice, simply what I value most as a college football fan from the last 30 years, and I’m worried that $ has made this way of thinking crazy.

60CF661A-1B8A-4CDD-BB5E-9740317E8E36.gif

Big 12 & Pac 12 Alliance/Merger Talks

Would this put more pressure on the ACC and B1G to act (either together or independent of each other), or would this reinforce maintaining the status quo with the two conferences?
Outside of USC, Oregon, and Stanford I'm not sure there is a team I would even think to watch out of the Big 12 and Pac 12. maybe Arizona State if they put up a bunch of crowd shots.

FSU hasn’t been a decent football program for quite a while. Why would SEC even want them?
They seem like a natural fit for the sec. No academic standards for athletes and are willing to cheat.

Big 12 & Pac 12 Alliance/Merger Talks

Would this put more pressure on the ACC and B1G to act (either together or independent of each other), or would this reinforce maintaining the status quo with the two conferences?
ACC needs to work something out with the BIG. Granted we are in more trouble than the BIG, but they are also are in need of bold action. A few ideas:

1) A football only merger with a POD system
2) A schedule agreement with the BIG - where the ACC and BIG play 2 games per year per team (would also lock out most games with the SEC and put pressure on ND)
3) A complete merger of the two conferences

Back