Here we go again. Conference expansion

I once started a rumor that Mark Richt got into a fist fight with Jeremy Pruitt in Butts-Mehre that eventually Richt had to come out and deny on Twitter. Don’t underestimate the viral power of message board rumors wrt Kansas
tenor.gif

More history? Sure. If you go back 50 years. "But Navy went 7-5 against a öööö schedule and played in the "öööö on my face Bowl" 5 of the past 7 year!!!". Who cares?

But larger fanbase? Not a chance. A lot of people assume that anyone who served in the Navy is a Navy football fan. The fact is the only people in the Navy who care about Navy football are the 1,000 new Ensigns who graduate from there each year (and half of them aren't even football fans and/or resent the football team for their bullshit admission standards). Officers from ROTC don't give a öööö about Navy football. The enlisted don't give a öööö about Navy football. "I know I grew up in rural Texas as a lifelong TAMU fan, but now that the Navy is paying me $30k a year to chip paint and swab the deck on this ship I've change my allegiances to Navy! #Midshipmen4Lyfe" Nah.

The Army-Navy game which is the only game on that weekend usually draws between 3 and 4 million viewers each year to watch high school football out of nothing other than patriotism. The same number of people watched GT play ND.

Kansas has sucked for a decade, but if they ever fielded a competitive team again they would sell out like they did in 2008. They have 20,000 undergrads and are the marquee college in the state. They have a rabid basketball fanbase that would gladly hop on the bandwagon if the team didn't completely suck.

All of these suck and I don't want any of them. Army and Navy shouldn't even be mentioned at all in these discussions except as a joke.

If you think Kansas has a larger football fan base than Army or Navy then I can't help you. The odds of Kansas fielding a competitive team in the B1G is a really long shot; but ok, when Kansas starts contending for the B1G title against Ohio State, PSU and Wisconsin then the fans will come. Of course if Rutgers ever starts winning the B1G they'll fill their stadium as well.

The Army-Navy game typically draws about 8 million fans and even in a bad year:
Despite the lower numbers, Army-Navy ranks tenth among college football games this season. CBS aired five of the top ten.
Ratings: NFL on CBS, Army-Navy, Heisman - Sports Media Watch

In a good year it draws around 10 million fans:
  • Along with Ohio State-Michigan, only three other regular-season college football games topped Army-Navy in overnight ratings: Ohio State-Penn State, Alabama-Florida State and Alabama-Auburn.
    [*]
Army-Navy TV ratings hit 23-year high (militarytimes.com)

If you think Kansas has a larger football fan base than Army or Navy then I can't help you. The odds of Kansas fielding a competitive team in the B1G is a really long shot; but ok, when Kansas starts contending for the B1G title against Ohio State, PSU and Wisconsin then the fans will come. Of course if Rutgers ever starts winning the B1G they'll fill their stadium as well.

The Army-Navy game typically draws about 8 million fans and even in a bad year:

Ratings: NFL on CBS, Army-Navy, Heisman - Sports Media Watch

In a good year it draws around 10 million fans:
Army-Navy TV ratings hit 23-year high (militarytimes.com)

Last year it drew 4.9 million. I don't care about historical highs in 2017.

Lets look at Navy's other games in 2020:

Navy - SMU - lowest rated nationally televised game of the week with 218k viewers on EPSN2
Navy - ECU - 2nd lowest rated nationally televised game of the week with 261k viewers on EPSN2
Navy - Tulane - 1.35 million for a nationally televised game on ABC. (This was ABC 2nd lowest viewed game of the year out of 50 games)
BYU - Navy 1.15 million for a nationally televised game on ESPN (They lost 55-3).

BuT MUh naVy FanS!!!!

Last year it drew 4.9 million. I don't care about historical highs in 2017.

Lets look at Navy's other games in 2020:

Navy - SMU - lowest rated nationally televised game of the week with 218k viewers on EPSN2
Navy - ECU - 2nd lowest rated nationally televised game of the week with 261k viewers on EPSN2
Navy - Tulane - 1.35 million for a nationally televised game on ABC. (This was ABC 2nd lowest viewed game of the year out of 50 games)
BYU - Navy 1.15 million for a nationally televised game on ESPN (They lost 55-3).

BuT MUh naVy FanS!!!!

Now do Kansas.

I'll give you a start, KU vs K St, all the eyes in Kansas were on this barn burner, 289K viewers.

Last edited:
The best realistic options for the ACC are TCU and/or SMU. No school is leaving the SEC or Big 10 to join the ACC. A major university in DFW makes a lot more sense than WVU, Cincinnati, a service academy or a directional school in a state where we already have two of the three major universities.
TCU is the most attractive of the remaining Big 12 schools since it is the only one in a major metro area. Lubbock, Waco, Stillwater, etc. are not attractive locations with large population concentrations and convenient transportation options.

The best realistic options for the ACC are TCU and/or SMU. No school is leaving the SEC or Big 10 to join the ACC. A major university in DFW makes a lot more sense than WVU, Cincinnati, a service academy or a directional school in a state where we already have two of the three major universities.
TCU is the most attractive of the remaining Big 12 schools since it is the only one in a major metro area. Lubbock, Waco, Stillwater, etc. are not attractive locations with large population concentrations and convenient transportation options.

Hard to argue with that; but I would have to see the numbers on WVU. I don't see a good option for the ACC outside of some sort of merger with the B1G though. Picking up TCU sounds like conceding the ACC is the little brother conference. I don't see TCU ever competing evenly with UT or A&M in Texas.

More history? Sure. If you go back 50 years. "But Navy went 7-5 against a öööö schedule and played in the "öööö on my face Bowl" 5 of the past 7 year!!!". Who cares?

But larger fanbase? Not a chance. A lot of people assume that anyone who served in the Navy is a Navy football fan. The fact is the only people in the Navy who care about Navy football are the 1,000 new Ensigns who graduate from there each year (and half of them aren't even football fans and/or resent the football team for their bullshit admission standards). Officers from ROTC don't give a öööö about Navy football. The enlisted don't give a öööö about Navy football. "I know I grew up in rural Texas as a lifelong TAMU fan, but now that the Navy is paying me $30k a year to chip paint and swab the deck on this ship I've change my allegiances to Navy! #Midshipmen4Lyfe" Nah.

The Army-Navy game which is the only game on that weekend usually draws between 3 and 4 million viewers each year to watch high school football out of nothing other than patriotism. The same number of people watched GT play ND.

Kansas has sucked for a decade, but if they ever fielded a competitive team again they would sell out like they did in 2008. They have 20,000 undergrads and are the marquee college in the state. They have a rabid basketball fanbase that would gladly hop on the bandwagon if the team didn't completely suck.

All of these suck and I don't want any of them. Army and Navy shouldn't even be mentioned at all in these discussions except as a joke.
And most ROTC officers can’t stand the ring knockers

Another bad idea. Smallest stadium in the Big 12 with the lowest average attendance (43k).... if Kansas is not included (lol). TCU is even worse than GT in DFW... Despite recent success they would be a drain on the conference. Add to that their fan base would shrink even more without any local Texas games to keep them interested.

I'm not saying the ACC isn't dumb enough to do something like this, but this is just one more example of expansion for the sake of expansion.

Hard to argue with that; but I would have to see the numbers on WVU. I don't see a good option for the ACC outside of some sort of merger with the B1G though. Picking up TCU sounds like conceding the ACC is the little brother conference. I don't see TCU ever competing evenly with UT or A&M in Texas.
What numbers do you want to see on WVU?
Most outsiders would argue we can never compete evenly with the cesspool.
TCU is not perfect but if we are going to expand it is the best option we have. We are making progress recruiting in Texas due to Coach Choice. This would accelerate that progress.

I’m waiting on the day…. Where I post: georgia’s last national championship is closer to the Pearl Harbor attack than present day. I’m going to remind everyone I know. They will hate me for it.
1628204510850.gif

I’m waiting on the day…. Where I post: georgia’s last national championship is closer to the Pearl Harbor attack than present day. I’m going to remind everyone I know. They will hate me for it.
1628204510850.gif
Oof, who's gonna tell him?

1628204510850.gif

Errr, Dunkirk was before Pearl Harbor. :chad: The day you've been waiting for has already past. On the bright side you can start reminding people of that now.

Errr, Dunkirk was before Pearl Harbor. :chad: The day you've been waiting for has already past. On the bright side you can start reminding people of that now.
Ahh! That’s the thing. I know how time works. Most people including georgia fans don’t know what Dunkirk really was. I believe saying Pearl Harbor will be more demeaning for them.

1628204510850.gif
Pearl Harbor attack was on 12/7/1941. That was 14270 days (check my math) before the mutts won their mnc. I think you’re covered. Post away.

If you like history watch "Darkest Hour" as a prequel to "Dunkirk".

Now back to our programming. If the ACC grabbed TCU, we would be their closest conference rival at a mere 12 hours away.

Back