Here we go again. Conference expansion

You started out so well by saying that almost all of the suggestions were laughable...but then say adding Army and Navy is very realistic. No, it's not even close to realistic, because math.

The only reasonable expansion options are those that increase the average payout per school. That's it.

Oh wait! You're right. Let's just take Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and Tennessee from the SEC, and kick out WF and Duke. That will work.

You started out so well by saying that almost all of the suggestions were laughable...but then say adding Army and Navy is very realistic. No, it's not even close to realistic, because math.

The only reasonable expansion options are those that increase the average payout per school. That's it.
Basically Notre Dame + 1

That Texas group together is the only thing that provides value. No one is looking to add one of those schools individually. Alone, they don't move the needle. But collectively they provide some market saturation. Adding TCU alone doesn't do much. Sure they are in a big media market, but they are about the 10th biggest sports team in that market. Add Baylor and TT and suddenly you get more penetration (giggity). Also, keeping them together keeps some traditional rivalries together that keeps those teams more relevant. Simply adding TCU and having them play Colorado, Utah, UCLA, etc. each year doesn't help in those markets. I don't know if that is enough to make them viable for another conference, but it gives them a better shot by sticking together.
I like the Texas group together, but i want ND and WVa too.
then we bigger than SEC,take that!
Pie in the sky? Sure, but i wanna play too.

ATLANTIC Pod#1
ND
Okla St
Baylor
TCU
TTU

ATLANTIC Pod#2
WVa
VT
Pitt
Syr
BC

COASTAL Pod#1
Clemson
Miami
FSU
UVA
Lousiville

COASTAL Pod#2
Ga Tech
NC
NC State
Duke
WF

We'll still need 4 OOC's to fluff our records
4-Play podmates annually
2_same Div pod (5yr rotation)
2-cross-div pod (1 Ea- 10 yr rotation)
Scrap cross-div rivals
puts most of old acc in same division

I like the Texas group together, but i want ND and WVa too.
then we bigger than SEC,take that!
Pie in the sky? Sure, but i wanna play too.

ATLANTIC Pod#1
ND
Okla St
Baylor
TCU
TTU

ATLANTIC Pod#2
WVa
VT
Pitt
Syr
BC

COASTAL Pod#1
Clemson
Miami
FSU
UVA
Lousiville

COASTAL Pod#2
Ga Tech
NC
NC State
Duke
WF

We'll still need 4 OOC's to fluff our records
4-Play podmates annually
2_same Div pod (5yr rotation)
2-cross-div pod (1 Ea- 10 yr rotation)
Scrap cross-div rivals
puts most of old acc in same division
These pods are absolute nightmare fuel.

Notre Dame fans are gonna love their pod too.

Haha. That was my first thought too.

Join the BigTen and play Michigan, Purdue, and some of their other traditional rivals or Join the ACC and make trips to Waco and Lubbock. Hmmm...

The ACC should contract.
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, UVa, Pitt, Cuse, BC, Duke

Those 10 could land the same contract the current ACC gets. You can still have a championship in football. You still have top flight BBall.

Same pie sliced 10 ways. That is a 40% increase in revenue. ND+1 doesn’t bring that value.

Edit: 9 game round robin with top 2 teams in acccg.

NCSt, Wake, VT, and Lou could join UCF and Cincy in the Big12.

Any expansion that doesn't include ND should be a non-starter.

Pods, whether in the SEC or a hypothetically-expanded ACC, should pair together so that one pod plays the entirety of another in any given year. That would allow for those two pods to function as a "division" for championship game purposes. In the SEC, that would probably mean a 9-game conference slate, with pod A playing all of pod B, and one team each from pods C and D.

Any expansion that doesn't include ND should be a non-starter.

Pods, whether in the SEC or a hypothetically-expanded ACC, should pair together so that one pod plays the entirety of another in any given year. That would allow for those two pods to function as a "division" for championship game purposes. In the SEC, that would probably mean a 9-game conference slate, with pod A playing all of pod B, and one team each from pods C and D.

I don't think they even need to do pods in the SEC, with geographically defined divisions. No significant rivalries are disrupted through a strict East-West divisional split that sends Alabama and Auburn to the east. They can simply expand to a nine-game schedule with no permanent cross-division opponents.

I don't think they even need to do pods in the SEC, with geographically defined divisions. No significant rivalries are disrupted through a strict East-West divisional split that sends Alabama and Auburn to the east. They can simply expand to a nine-game schedule with no permanent cross-division opponents.
Exactly. It lines up perfectly for this. aCC doesn't need pods either, just make it North and South divisions.

Texas gets into a division that pushes out Bama, while Ugag loses Mizzoo and gets to share a division with Bama. I guess that's the silver lining for this expansion.

Back