Here we go again. Conference expansion

Maybe the ACC realizes that ESPN has not been that friendly.......
A guy can hope. But the amount of grotesque arse kissing of Swofford on the way out suggests that's not the case. A proper send off for Swofford would have been a firm kick in the ass followed by "You f*cked up not getting Penn State. You f*cked up again having the legislature in a state do your conference expansion for you. You f*cked up again having a bunch of New England schools with subpar fans, subpar facilities, and no cohesiveness added to the conference. And you f*cked up constantly not emphasizing football. GTFO and we don't need anybody from NC making decisions as long as FB drives the bus."

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
Has anyone really speculated what this means scheduling wise for college football? Would Tech per say play one Pac 12 team a year and one Big10 per year? Could it mean that college football really is breaking away and you only schedule teams from theses three conferences? Would we do away with the three conferences and play under one big umbrella? Seems like a lot of talk without any real scenarios listed.

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like
Stolen from a Reddit post:

B1G = USA, most money and ratings firepower, biggest long term threat to the SEC, protected on all sides by oceans of academic research funding

ACC = USSR, allied but a little too much like the SEC for comfort, most likely to be invaded and mortally wounded by the SEC

Pac-12 = UK + European Resistance, strategically important and happy to make alliances… but you just know as soon as the wars over we’re gonna underfund our defenses and support an Olympic Sports welfare state instead

Big XII = Poland

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Stolen from a Reddit post:

B1G = USA, most money and ratings firepower, biggest long term threat to the SEC, protected on all sides by oceans of academic research funding

ACC = USSR, allied but a little too much like the SEC for comfort, most likely to be invaded and mortally wounded by the SEC

Pac-12 = UK + European Resistance, strategically important and happy to make alliances… but you just know as soon as the wars over we’re gonna underfund our defenses and support an Olympic Sports welfare state instead

Big XII = Poland
PAC is more like the ussr. No matter how much money damage the sec does, the pac will soldier on. Infinite capacity to absorb losses because they don’t care.

ACC is France. Probably 7 ACC schools that would immediately bolt to the SEC if offered. I guess that makes the acc more like Austria or Norway.

79tech

Damn Good Rat
I find the alliance very interesting. We will see what all this means - SOON lol - but I do know one thing this makes clear. The other conferences have none-absolutely no trust in the SEC. For the non SEC conferences to go and discuss alliances excluding the SEC absolutely proves this point. I think the SEC has dug themselves a hole that may be hard for them to get out of for a while. The SEC while the strongest cannot operate alone and has also lost their leadership spot. In previous conference discussions, the SEC was able to take a leadership role due to their higher standing money-wise - now they have has lost all credibility and therefore will not be allowed to lead. This could really hurt them in setting direction for college football.

Last edited:

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
I find the alliance very interesting. We will see what all this means - SOON lol - but I do know one thing this makes clear. The other conferences have none-absolutely no trust in the SEC. For the non SEC conferences to go and discuss alliances excluding the SEC absolutely proves this point. I think the SEC has dug themselves a hole that may be hard for them to get out of for a while. The SEC while the strongest cannot operate alone and has also lost their leadership spot. In previous conference discussions, the SEC was able to take a leadership role due to their higher standing money-wise - now they have has lost all credibility and therefore will not be allowed to lead. This could really hurt them in setting direction for college football.
You are nuts. The SEC could care less what a bunch of uppity nosed research schools plan to do regarding football. I can’t believe smart GT fans can’t see this. Swofford has killed the ACC in football and now wants to align with a bunch of non football schools. Just brilliant.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
You are nuts. The SEC could care less what a bunch of uppity nosed research schools plan to do regarding football. I can’t believe smart GT fans can’t see this. Swofford has killed the ACC in football and now wants to align with a bunch of non football schools. Just brilliant.
Well Swofford retired. The SEC should care about the alliance because an isolated SEC does not make for good bedfellows. All those SEC teams vying for a single playoff spot will cause issues. Texas wanting to rule to roost will cause issues. SEC having to beat each other all season will cause issues. Then there are non-playoff bowl alliances, BIG and PAC12 can sway a lot of influence there because of their alumni in corporate sponsor leadership positions. I am not predicting the demise of the SEC; but this may not play out as well as they planned long term.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Well Swofford retired. The SEC should care about the alliance because an isolated SEC does not make for good bedfellows. All those SEC teams vying for a single playoff spot will cause issues. Texas wanting to rule to roost will cause issues. SEC having to beat each other all season will cause issues. Then there are non-playoff bowl alliances, BIG and PAC12 can sway a lot of influence there because of their alumni in corporate sponsor leadership positions. I am not predicting the demise of the SEC; but this may not play out as well as they planned long term.
I hear you and it could turn out that way. Or it could lead to the opposite with schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oregon, Ohio State joining the SEC and then them hosting their own playoff. So even if those teams stay in their conference and the SEC hosts their own 4 team playoff. The SEC could be Bama, UGA, LSU, Texas, or Oklahoma. The others could be Ohio State, Oregon, Clemson, ND, or Penn State.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I hear you and it could turn out that way. Or it could lead to the opposite with schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oregon, Ohio State joining the SEC and then them hosting their own playoff. So even if those teams stay in their conference and the SEC hosts their own 4 team playoff. The SEC could be Bama, UGA, LSU, Texas, or Oklahoma. The others could be Ohio State, Oregon, Clemson, ND, or Penn State.
A SEC playoff could never be billed as anything other than a conference championship though. The Alliance would stretch from Los Angeles to Seattle to New York to Miami, it would be a National Championship. I think that would be the draw for the SEC to stay in a playoff similar to the current structure. Alliance gets 3 teams and the SEC gets 1, or 1 team per conference. ND will need to either join a conference or negotiate for survival somehow.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
A SEC playoff could never be billed as anything other than a conference championship though. The Alliance would stretch from Los Angeles to Seattle to New York to Miami, it would be a National Championship. I think that would be the draw for the SEC to stay in a playoff similar to the current structure. Alliance gets 3 teams and the SEC gets 1, or 1 team per conference. ND will need to either join a conference or negotiate for survival somehow.
I don’t see anyway it works out that way. The playoff will expand no matter what the Alliance wants. The money is too great. I remember reading these same discussions when the BCS started. Then it went to 4. It’s not going to stop. And if you really believe a 4 team playoff without the SEC will be seen as legit then I don’t know what more to say. We‘d be back to the old days. Besides, even if the Alliance did hold a 4 team playoff of their own, how long until a Jerry Jones type offers 30 million to the Alliance Champ to play the SEC champ. I’m guessing year 1.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Oregon?