Here we go again. Conference expansion

I don’t see anyway it works out that way. The playoff will expand no matter what the Alliance wants. The money is too great. I remember reading these same discussions when the BCS started. Then it went to 4. It’s not going to stop. And if you really believe a 4 team playoff without the SEC will be seen as legit then I don’t know what more to say. We‘d be back to the old days. Besides, even if the Alliance did hold a 4 team playoff of their own, how long until a Jerry Jones type offers 30 million to the Alliance Champ to play the SEC champ. I’m guessing year 1.

A 4 team playoff between 3 power conferences is more legit than a 4 team playoff of only 1 power conference. A Clemson vs. Ohio State championship would simply look more legit to viewers than the rematch of Alabama vs. LSU or Georgia vs. Texas A&M. Personally I don't think the SEC wants that anymore than the Alliance would though.

I like the strategy of isolating the sec. they'll be a regional entity and the acc can cover the sec region in a national organization

Csb I sat next to a USC cheerleader on a plane once.. she was hotter than any in that pic really... She was actually from Texas (where we were headed) and very conservative and down to earth, so it was extra sweet when she reached over the armrest and started
Do go on...

I did get her phone number only because her phone was dead and needed to borrow mine

You need you a fine Michigan lady.
drunk-michigan-fan-54457.gif

A 4 team playoff between 3 power conferences is more legit than a 4 team playoff of only 1 power conference. A Clemson vs. Ohio State championship would simply look more legit to viewers than the rematch of Alabama vs. LSU or Georgia vs. Texas A&M. Personally I don't think the SEC wants that anymore than the Alliance would though.
Now you aren’t being honest. College football fans know who the best teams are. Let the Alliance hold a playoff with teams perfectly geographically fitted so you have a southern team, northeast team, Midwest team, and western team. That won’t fool anybody. And seriously, what makes the PAC 12 a power conference? I hate the SEC as much as the next ACC guy but some of y’all sound like UGA enginneers drawing comparisons between us and them. There is no comparison right now because the SEC schools have poured resources into athletics the last 20 years while other conferences did not.

As to your hypothetical, that game of Clemson vs. Ohio State would never happen because those teams would not stick around a weak alliance. For the same reason OK and Texas joined so would they - money. And before you give me the, but Clemson has an easy path to the playoffs every year, those teams would lose recruits to the superior football league if they truly split.

Now you aren’t being honest. College football fans know who the best teams are. Let the Alliance hold a playoff with teams perfectly geographically fitted so you have a southern team, northeast team, Midwest team, and western team. That won’t fool anybody. And seriously, what makes the PAC 12 a power conference? I hate the SEC as much as the next ACC guy but some of y’all sound like UGA enginneers drawing comparisons between us and them. There is no comparison right now because the SEC schools have poured resources into athletics the last 20 years while other conferences did not.

As to your hypothetical, that game of Clemson vs. Ohio State would never happen because those teams would not stick around a weak alliance. For the same reason OK and Texas joined so would they - money. And before you give me the, but Clemson has an easy path to the playoffs every year, those teams would lose recruits to the superior football league if they truly split.

Well sure, if Ohio State, Clemson and all the other marquee teams jump to the SEC; but then it wouldn't be the SEC, it would be a new college football division. I thought you were talking about the currently proposed SEC.

What do you think the SEC (or whatever they change their name to) will do if the other 3 conferences try and freeze them out? They aren‘t going to sit back and take it. This is the same conference that got GT to host the their conference hoops tournament one year. We all may hate them but they are a shrewd bunch when it comes to athletics. They will entice other big time teams from the Alliance to come on over.

What do you think the SEC (or whatever they change their name to) will do if the other 3 conferences try and freeze them out? They aren‘t going to sit back and take it. This is the same conference that got GT to host the their conference hoops tournament one year. We all may hate them but they are a shrewd bunch when it comes to athletics. They will entice other big time teams from the Alliance to come on over.

Why can't the Alliance entice big time teams from the SEC to come over? An Alliance could find itself on top of the money tree, the only uncontested major market the SEC would have would be DFW. It wouldn't even have to be the biggest players. If they pulled Oklahoma or Texas A&M from the SEC that would be one big dent. Pull Oklahoma and restart the Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry, or pull Texas A&M simply because they are miffed at the way the SEC screwed them.

Let's try this. SEC needs an equitable position now that 3 conferences are ganging up on them. ESPN sees danger because suddenly they might be negotiating with other networks for the CFP if they don't get the 12 team playoff by 2024. SEC paying $45 million per school currently. ACC paying $32 million. That is a gap of $13 million. ACC has TV contract problem until 2036. Here is my solution.

SEC acquires the ACC entirely and persuades Notre Dame and either Oklahoma St or West Virginia to come along. That makes a 32 team conference. ESPN and the ACC schools can tear up ACC contract. It would cost them ~$250 million more yearly to pay each of the 16 schools what the SEC schools are getting and in exchange the SEC agrees to play 10 conference games. Also gives the votes for the CFP to go to 12 and ESPN can get the rights without involving other networks.

How would the ten games work......Each team would have 3 rivals they play each year. They would play 7 rotating games per year meaning you would play all 28 other teams in a four year span.

The conference would dominate in football, basketball, and baseball, and many other spring sports. TV would be awesome with all of the matchups that are created. There are already two TV networks to feature the games along with the three ESPN networks and ABC. You would have 6 networks on Saturday to show 16 games.

I'll put down the bottle now.

Let's try this. SEC needs an equitable position now that 3 conferences are ganging up on them. ESPN sees danger because suddenly they might be negotiating with other networks for the CFP if they don't get the 12 team playoff by 2024. SEC paying $45 million per school currently. ACC paying $32 million. That is a gap of $13 million. ACC has TV contract problem until 2036. Here is my solution.

SEC acquires the ACC entirely and persuades Notre Dame and either Oklahoma St or West Virginia to come along. That makes a 32 team conference. ESPN and the ACC schools can tear up ACC contract. It would cost them ~$250 million more yearly to pay each of the 16 schools what the SEC schools are getting and in exchange the SEC agrees to play 10 conference games. Also gives the votes for the CFP to go to 12 and ESPN can get the rights without involving other networks.

How would the ten games work......Each team would have 3 rivals they play each year. They would play 7 rotating games per year meaning you would play all 28 other teams in a four year span.

The conference would dominate in football, basketball, and baseball, and many other spring sports. TV would be awesome with all of the matchups that are created. There are already two TV networks to feature the games along with the three ESPN networks and ABC. You would have 6 networks on Saturday to show 16 games.

I'll put down the bottle now.

Well if this happened and then the PAC 12 and Big Ten merged, it would be okay with me at this point. The reality is that the SEC is top dawg right now, and Vandy, Missouri, Ole Miss, MSU, KY, UT, USCe all hit the lottery as teams like UL, Pitt, Wake, BC, GT, Syracuse have very shaking knees right now as they may not survive the next cut. Honestly, I am torn as to what GT should do. If the ACC joins with the Big Ten/Pac, then that may be a good intermediate decision, but the reality is becoming that if the Big Ten offers GT, they probably should take the deal.

Well if this happened and then the PAC 12 and Big Ten merged, it would be okay with me at this point. The reality is that the SEC is top dawg right now, and Vandy, Missouri, Ole Miss, MSU, KY, UT, USCe all hit the lottery as teams like UL, Pitt, Wake, BC, GT, Syracuse have very shaking knees right now as they may not survive the next cut. Honestly, I am torn as to what GT should do. If the ACC joins with the Big Ten/Pac, then that may be a good intermediate decision, but the reality is becoming that if the Big Ten offers GT, they probably should take the deal.
The Big 10 has already offered us once. If you don't think GT would be at the top of their list, you are wrong. And I mean top over Clemson and FSU. Logistics of Atlanta, academics of the school, and the make up of our student body would be very appealing to the Big10.

The Big 10 has already offered us once. If you don't think GT would be at the top of their list, you are wrong. And I mean top over Clemson and FSU. Logistics of Atlanta, academics of the school, and the make up of our student body would be very appealing to the Big10.

If we were doing normal realignment, GT(Metro-Atlanta), UNC(the Carolinas), and UVA(Virginia and DC) would be high on the BIGs wish list. The three are already members of the prestigious(at least to some) AAU consortium. And would allow the BIG to expand its footprint.

But because the SEC with ESPN in the background is attempting to monopolize, a bigger move to counter their machinations is needed.

I do think the ACC needs to find a new partner other than the SECSPN, or at least hint a little that they are getting tired of their agreement.

I don't think GT would be at the top of their list. And folks need to stop with the Atlanta market nonsense. Vast majority of folks in Atlanta market support Dawgs not Jackets. By the same token, no one in DC market cares about UVA football. Hell, they don't even care about Maryland football and U of Maryland is right here, not 120 miles away like Charlottesville. That's why they're still rocking that crappy Byrd Stadium which in part caused Bobby Ross to leave there 35 years ago, and nothing has changed since then except it now has a more woke name.

They probably care the most (at least in the suburbs) about Virginia Cow College football, but even that is not very much. They care about the Redskins, and Maryland (and to a lesser extent Georgetown) basketball, and that's it.

I don't think GT would be at the top of their list. And folks need to stop with the Atlanta market nonsense. Vast majority of folks in Atlanta market support Dawgs not Jackets. By the same token, no one in DC market cares about UVA football. Hell, they don't even care about Maryland football and U of Maryland is right here, not 120 miles away like Charlottesville. That's why they're still rocking that crappy Byrd Stadium which in part caused Bobby Ross to leave there 35 years ago, and nothing has changed since then except it now has a more woke name.

They probably care the most (at least in the suburbs) about Virginia Cow College football, but even that is not very much. They care about the Redskins, and Maryland (and to a lesser extent Georgetown) basketball, and that's it.
You are unaware of what the Atlanta market does then. Let’s say Penn State plays a game in Bobby Dodd. Then they tell their recruiting targets to come to the game. Penn state doesn’t play ball in Georgia often at all. Same with Ohio state or Michigan. It’s a great market for them.

There is a large portion of folks, especially in the northern burbs of Atlanta, who don't give a damn about UGAg. They are Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Illinois fans. That is the appeal of Atlanta. It isn't gaggers or Tech fans that are the appeal.

You are unaware of what the Atlanta market does then. Let’s say Penn State plays a game in Bobby Dodd. Then they tell their recruiting targets to come to the game. Penn state doesn’t play ball in Georgia often at all. Same with Ohio state or Michigan. It’s a great market for them.
I worked for a Michigan grad in the 90's. Our QC director was an Illinois grad. I know of two Penn State fans who have owned GT season tix who make at least one trek a year to a Penn State home game. Atlanta metro is a melting pot of Big10 fans. Clemson? Not so much

That's a lot of smoke based on one Houston reporter. Going to be a lot of egg on someone's face if this isn't true.

For conjecture, let's just say it's true. The only conference that should feel any pressure to do anything is the Big 12. Houston and BYU would be locked and loaded to at least get back to 10.

There are no good expansion scenarios for the ACC that make any sense beyond Notre Dame, and when they finally have incentive to join a conference their first choice is always going to be the Big Ten.

Back