Here we go again. Conference expansion

georgytech

Varsity Lurker
They’ll need to change their name. That they are a directional school is the only reason UCF hasn’t gotten to a major conference. Is there a directional school in any of the power 5?
North & South Carolina, N. Carolina St., Southern Cal, West Virginia do they count ?

Beeski

Dodd-Like
If Texas and OU moving to the SEC and the 12 team playoff force Notre Dame's hand to join the ACC, I like UCF as the 16th team. 60k students, Orlando, 3rd Florida team, not bad in Football, etc.

How about this for 4 team pods:

GT
FSU
Miami
UCF

Clemson
Louisville
VPI&SU
UVA

UNC
NCSU
Duke
Wake

Notre Dame
Syracuse
BC
Pitt

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I see your reasoning there. I really wish we had added UCF instead of Miami. I think Miami had already peaked whereas UCF has potential for substantial growth.

Neither WVU or Cincy excite me much, they are about like Memphis to me. I guess WVU has a more significant program history?
And a rivalry with Pitt, another "meh" addition to the conference. None of these options excite me, either. Not even that big a fan of ND joining.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Not disputing the geography, but is the Orlando market really that coveted? And the ACC Network is already available there, right?
The ACC network is available everywhere there is Hulu, YouTube, or other streaming services. Who is going to be doing classic cable 10 years from now?

With UCF you would be hoping to get more viewers from that corridor that stretches from Tampa to Orlando to Daytona. You would be competing with USF in Tampa and UF in Orlando.

BuzzinWreck78

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what any of this means, but I'm intrigued.
Saban's ain't played QB and the LSU gymnast are supposedly going to make over a $mil this year, thong twins could earn more.
now thi$ - how much the SEC, Texas and OU gonna make? then ripple effects
I'm disgusted and may watch professionaL wrasslin instead.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I'd like to see the ACC add Army and Navy. It would bring a large military/veteran audience and turn the Army/Navy game into a signature ACC matchup.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
And I think you guys that want the NCAA to vanish aren't exactly cognizant of what you are hoping for. The NCAA (for all its faults) is an equalizer. Take them away and the imbalances that already exist will magnify - probably exponentially. We are already having enough trouble trying to catch up to the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world. Take the NCAA out of the equation and that gulf gets a lot bigger. So think before you chuck the NCAA out with the bathwater.
Seriously? You want to continue slurping an organization that took away an ACC Championship that was actually played and won by GT due to clothes, yet allow UGA to buy players and admit players who can’t read and yet haven‘t been touched by the NCAA? Come on now. The gap between the haves and have nots was created by the NCAA yet you honestly think they are the solution? They are the definition of cronyism, good ole boy network, and back door deals. Let the conferences determine their own rules. I can live with that. If the SEC wants to bring in players who can’t read or are getting huge paychecks then fine. It’s been happening for decades anyway. At least now everything will be out in the open.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I have to agree with our mod flunkout. Y’all are retards for wanting UCF. UCF goes undefeated and gets snubbed out of playoffs. If Miami was one loss at the end of the season every newspaper in the country would be printing da U is back and hyping it up for them to be in the playoffs. We already own what we can outside of UF in Florida. There’s no point to adding UCF or USF or any other Florida school unless you pull UF itself.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
This. I hate our conference schedules and think it’s a big reason that our ticket demand sucks.
I also like the 'boutique' conference size of 8 or 9 teams. But we are in a position to have two such boutique conferences within the larger ACC umbrella. One for the classic ACC teams, and another that looks something like the old Big East. You get both tradition AND money. Who gives a öööö about playing cross sectional games? Meet up in the ACC championship and have at it. If you play someone in the other "sub-conference', just treat it as a non-conference game.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
I also like the 'boutique' conference size of 8 or 9 teams. But we are in a position to have two such boutique conferences within the larger ACC umbrella. One for the classic ACC teams, and another that looks something like the old Big East. You get both tradition AND money. Who gives a öööö about playing cross sectional games? Meet up in the ACC championship and have at it. If you play someone in the other "sub-conference', just treat it as a non-conference game.
Or lets have 20 teams in a big round-robin soup and play college football from August through April. I mean, people want money and football right?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
There seems to be a lot of smoke on this and that this may actually be a thing. As someone who wants to see the world burn, I’m ready. I just hope whatever happens is disruptive enough to get us a better and more interesting schedule.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I have to agree with our mod flunkout. Y’all are retards for wanting UCF. UCF goes undefeated and gets snubbed out of playoffs. If Miami was one loss at the end of the season every newspaper in the country would be printing da U is back and hyping it up for them to be in the playoffs. We already own what we can outside of UF in Florida. There’s no point to adding UCF or USF or any other Florida school unless you pull UF itself.
a) UCF got snubbed because they are not in a P5 conference (and they got a ton of press hyping them to be in playoffs).
b) If Miami had one loss at the end of the season they actually would be back. :dunno:
c) At a minimum you pull all the alumni of a very large school that you don't have now. (wouldn't it instantly be the largest school in the ACC?)

But hey, who wants to road trip to Orlando when you could be on your way to Cincinnati or Morgantown.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
a) UCF got snubbed because they are not in a P5 conference (and they got a ton of press hyping them to be in playoffs).
b) If Miami had one loss at the end of the season they actually would be back. :dunno:
c) At a minimum you pull all the alumni of a very large school that you don't have now. (wouldn't it instantly be the largest school in the ACC?)

But hey, who wants to road trip to Orlando when you could be on your way to Cincinnati or Morgantown.
Or none of the above, which would make the most sense?

Georgia State would be the biggest school in the ACC too. Think of all those proud Pantha alumni. Let's get them since it's obvious GT doesn't own Atlanta.