Hey! We Got A Player Drafted

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
1) Collins is definitely going to bring in more NFL draftees than CPJ.

2) Yes, it was time to move on, and Paul’s talent pool was at a nadir.

3) Collins is going to have so much more financial support and resources than Paul had, and most people are going to forget that when comparing the two 5-10 years from now. The AA got passed by pretty much every power conference athletic department in the country around the mid-2010s.
Juanyeh and possibly Tariq will be drafted next year. Charlie Thomas might be a NFL safety and I can see Jordan Mason playing RB in the NFL too. All four were PJ signees.

There's also no telling what could have happened had PJ had had TS instead of MBob as AD.
But that's another story for another day.

swampsting

Davis was, for the most part, a very effective blocker. His pass catching numbers certainly weren't eye popping. He likely had put himself on some NFL radars for what he did at an abysmal UConn program. And helped himself this year.

swampsting

as for Mr. Tongo, he was a member of the 2006 signing class, which was ranked 57th by rivals.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Juanyeh and possibly Tariq will be drafted next year. Charlie Thomas might be a NFL safety and I can see Jordan Mason playing RB in the NFL too. All four were PJ signees.

There's also no telling what could have happened had PJ had had TS instead of MBob as AD.
We knew what was going to happen and that the offense was not changing which was both a hinderance to both sides of the ball.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
as for Mr. Tongo, he was a member of the 2006 signing class, which was ranked 57th by rivals.
lol you said that as negative? Class had 14 signees and 2 Grayshirts

For comparison with similar class size by CPJ:

‘12- 17 signees- 57th
‘13 - 14 signees- 84th
‘16 -18 signees - 67th

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
We knew what was going to happen and that the offense was not changing which was both a hinderance to both sides of the ball.
This is my view. CPJ designed an offense that was very efficient in putting up grotesque numbers with average and below average players. It could also win some games. When special players came along, the system could be something else and was a sight to behold. It’s problem was that the special players were too far between because the system almost guaranteed no prospect of NFL play and special players tended to run from it.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
lol. Self fulfilling prophecy. If they stopped it, they were prepared. If not, they were unprepared.

This goes for every offense, except Gailey’s offense, which generally didn’t even put up big numbers on cupcakes.

Here’s to hoping CGC can make us exciting on both sides of the ball. A sight not seen since Ross (O’Leary/Ralph as coordinators).

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Any word on other undrafted free agent signings for our seniors?
Jared Southers and Christian Campbell were the only other guys who did pro day and heard from teams. They haven't gotten the call though, so it may just be Tyler and Nate.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like

I love the kid but I don't think Jordan Mason will be drafted. I'd be very surprised if he even makes an NFL team. He's a shifty and super-hard running back but he simply doesn't have the speed.

In fact, if the line play improves this year as much as I hope it will, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets fewer & fewer carries by the end of the season...losing carries to Griffin and Gibbs. I think he'll turn into more of a short yardage back.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I love the kid but I don't think Jordan Mason will be drafted. I'd be very surprised if he even makes an NFL team. He's a shifty and super-hard running back but he simply doesn't have the speed.

In fact, if the line play improves this year as much as I hope it will, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets fewer & fewer carries by the end of the season...losing carries to Griffin and Gibbs. I think he'll turn into more of a short yardage back.
I don’t know. Last year Mason was very good at waiting and letting blocks develop. He is strong, has a good starting burst, can break arm tackles, and blocks well. Yeah the top end speed isn’t there and he won’t see gapping open field holes like with the 3O.

Mason, more than anyone else, might have benefited from the switch from CPJ to CGC. Because as a bback, he never read blocks.

He reminds me of Choice more than any of our other backs. And Choice did ok with the nfl. It would probably help Mason if we could have a few more Iformation looks.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
If you break down the current NFL drafting habits, you see that not only are backs drafted later than they used to be, but the early draft picks are drafted based on their 40 speed. A guy like Mason will be one of a dozen backs picked late or not at all. I think Mason is a Day 3 pick, but I don't agree with the NFL on their current favorite metric.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
I don’t know. Last year Mason was very good at waiting and letting blocks develop. He is strong, has a good starting burst, can break arm tackles, and blocks well. Yeah the top end speed isn’t there and he won’t see gapping open field holes like with the 3O.

Mason, more than anyone else, might have benefited from the switch from CPJ to CGC. Because as a bback, he never read blocks.

He reminds me of Choice more than any of our other backs. And Choice did ok with the nfl. It would probably help Mason if we could have a few more Iformation looks.
Few things would make me happier than to be wrong and see Mason have a long and productive NFL career. By all accounts, he's a great teammate and a hell of a hard worker.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
If you break down the current NFL drafting habits, you see that not only are backs drafted later than they used to be, but the early draft picks are drafted based on their 40 speed. A guy like Mason will be one of a dozen backs picked late or not at all. I think Mason is a Day 3 pick, but I don't agree with the NFL on their current favorite metric.
The other key is the players ability to contribute on special teams.

05GTCorndog

Staff member

While he isn't a burner and probably won't put up an eye turning 40 time to get him into the top of the draft, I bet he runs fast enough to be a solid mid-round pick. Maybe improved offensive line play will give him some more holes to showcase some straight-line speed we haven't seen yet.

He kinda reminds me of Benny Snell who was drafted by the Steelers in the 4th round last year. Not a burner, but good at running through tackles and falling forward.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
While he isn't a burner and probably won't put up an eye turning 40 time to get him into the top of the draft, I bet he runs fast enough to be a solid mid-round pick. Maybe improved offensive line play will give him some more holes to showcase some straight-line speed we haven't seen yet.

He kinda reminds me of Benny Snell who was drafted by the Steelers in the 4th round last year. Not a burner, but good at running through tackles and falling forward.
All of that would make me very happy.