How Does Utah Have A Better Team Than Tech …

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
It’s not a dumb comparison imo. It brings up a lot of current realities in the “college” football landscape.

I’m guessing someone has the opinion that it should be easier to win at Georgia Tech than Utah. And that was probably the truth 15-20 years ago.
But “college” football is much more popular today than it was then. And there is certainly more $$$ to be made in CFB today.

Some schools——Utah have probably made winning football games more of a priority than they used to. My guess is winning football games is no more important tom the people that really run Georgia Tech right now, than it was 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago or 40 years ago.

The vast, vast majority of the alumni from Georgia Tech are far more envious of MIT than they are Alabama, Clemson or Georgia.
I wonder if the Utah football players (probably not as good on average as Georgia kids), all of which can presumably get into Utah, are better than the Georgia kids that are willing and able to get into Tech. That is, are they getting in better talent than we are, or is it more of a coaching issue?

JRjr

BuzzinWreck78

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the Utah football players (probably not as good on average as Georgia kids), all of which can presumably get into Utah, are better than the Georgia kids that are willing and able to get into Tech. That is, are they getting in better talent than we are, or is it more of a coaching issue?

JRjr
per 2021 talent composite Utah ranks 32, GT ranks 33, Utah has 17 4stars, GT has 16 4stars
Utah 10-4, GT 3-9, hmmm - that 17th 4star guy must be pretty good

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer

JRjr
There is very little doubt in my mind we would have won 6,7 or 8 games each of the last 2 seasons (certainly last season) with Utah’s coaching staff. Is there yours?

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
per 2021 talent composite Utah ranks 32, GT ranks 33, Utah has 17 4stars, GT has 16 4stars
Utah 10-4, GT 3-9, hmmm - that 17th 4star guy must be pretty good
I don’t really follow recruiting stuff at all, so forgive some dumb rambling. Are the ratings and rankings pretty consistent from area to area? Like, I always hear how Georgia has way better talent than Arkansas or wherever - is a Utah 4-star comparable to a Georgia 4-star? (I assume they would be or else the ratings wouldn’t mean much.)

Has anybody plotted a record (adjusted for strength of schedule somehow) vs recruiting graph to try to get at expected performance based on recruiting, or are there too many variables for that to be feasible?

It certainly seems like we’re underperforming with the players we have, which seems like a coaching thing, but I suppose there are other factors like coaching tenure/time in system, player buy-in, and all that sort of stuff.

JRjr