How Does Utah Have A Better Team Than Tech …

1. The GT campus is safe. They’ve built some nice, interesting new buildings in the post-Olympics era and continue to add more, and have added a lot of green space as well.

2. Mathematically impossible given their stadium size, which was only recently expanded to be slightly smaller than BDS.

It’s a peculiar sickness that leads GT fans to öööö on everything about the school they claim to support, and in favor of some irrelevant never-was school from Utah at that.

JRjr
How many home games have you attended 2018-last year?
1. The GT campus is safe. They’ve built some nice, interesting new buildings in the post-Olympics era and continue to add more, and have added a lot of green space as well.

2. Mathematically impossible given their stadium size, which was only recently expanded to be slightly smaller than BDS.

It’s a peculiar sickness that leads GT fans to öööö on everything about the school they claim to support, and in favor of some irrelevant never-was school from Utah at that.

JRjr
lol. When is the last time you’ve been to a GT home football game?

How many home games have you attended 2018-last year?

lol. When is the last time you’ve been to a GT home football game?

I’ve attended every single home game since at least 1998 or earlier.

I’ve been on campus since 1988. Since I’ve worked for Tech since 1994, I’ve been on or around campus daily up until late 2019 (when my office moved away from campus), and I’m still around campus pretty regularly.

I follow things like football attendance and the general state of campus and the surrounding area pretty closely.

JRjr

I’ve attended every single home game since at least 1998 or earlier.

I’ve been on campus since 1988. Since I’ve worked for Tech since 1994, I’ve been on or around campus daily up until late 2019 (when my office moved away from campus), and I’m still around campus pretty regularly.

I follow things like football attendance and the general state of campus and the surrounding area pretty closely.

JRjr
Then you don’t pay much attention. Bobby Dodd is a ghost town on Saturdays. The only time Bobby Dodd gets even close to 46 or 47,000 fans is if we are playing Clemson or Georgia and over half the stadium is orange or red respectively.

Utah has averaged 101% attendance since 2015 home games. See #5. https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2021/09/01/top-five-utah-football-home-field-advantage-pac-12/

The topic of the thread asked a simple question. I’m not going to make excuses or lie.

Utah brings more fans to a single home game than 3 or 4 Tech games is far from a mathematic impossibility. It’s a reality. Utah is a much better football program the Georgia Tech is right now. Georgia Tech has a long, long way to go until it could probably keep a football game against Utah even close.

Only part I can readily refute here is #3. Gt doesn't flunk people like they used to and hasn't for decades. Our retention rate was 96% when I was a freshmen well over a decade ago.
I been around the block with the assholes in the Admissions department about this retention rate bull öööö before.

How are you defining it?

How about this. Whatever you want to call it, what percentage of students who enter as Freshman ever graduate with a Georgia Tech degree? How many do it in 4 years? How many in five?

I ööööing guarantee you NONE of those answers is "96%."

@1982Jacket Here’s some date. I have no idea how accurate these people are, but I’d think they’re unlikely to be off by much. Things have gotten much better as far as grad/retention, as far as capability of GT grads 1st day on the job my experience has been less than stellar. 10-15 years ago, grads arrived ready to contribute and motivated. These days our grads are not much better than average and the work ethic has diminished a fair amount.

I believe 'curriculum' and 'academics' has been the favorite explanation for why other schools are better than us.

But the real answer, of course, is good coaching, administrative support, fan enthusiasm, the roll of the die, etc.
It seems to me that 'curriculum' and 'academics' are a big part of administrative support. Administrative support also factors into coaching retention and hiring.

JRjr
You have totaly discredited and embarrassed yourself with the the claim that "Utah has more fans show up at a home game than we do in 3 or 4 put together" is "mathematically impossible" due to stadium size. Sounds like you do not understand that stadium size only caps attendance; it does not set a foor. And Tech football attedance (other than when it;s 90% dwags) has been closeer to the floor under the current regime than the cap. Other than the dwag game, they could play in a stadium with a capacity of 25K and not really run into any problems, while Utah has sold out every game for years and even with the recent expansion, demand still exceeds supply. We couldn't get jackshit number of fans to travel a few hundred miles to Miami for the Orange Bowl, or even to Tampa for the ACCCG in 2009 (it was a sea of Orange). Utah packed Allegiant Stadium for the PAC12 championshop game, and then filled at least 70000 of the seats in the Rose Bowl a few days ago. Probably closer to 80000.

I am not contesting that Tech;s campus is safe. But the campus is only "super nice" if someone thinks a clean, safe, trailer park is "super nice." It's adequate - and nothing more than that.

As for Utah being irrelevant, are you talking about football? LMFAO!!! Delusional; ööööing delusional. Other than to a dwindling number of aging fans such as me, there are VERY few P5 football programs that are less relevant to ANYTHING than Georgia Tech football. It's been 7 years since Tech was even slightly relevant to anything. Utah has played in three of the past four PAC12 Chanpionship Games - and won it this year.

Academically, Tech is a superior school overall to Utah, for sure. But there are niches where Utah excels - - such as computer video game design where they have one of the top five programs in the country.

I'm guessing if you work at Tech, it's as a janitor or groundskeeper. Please tell me you don't have a Tech degree - even in IM.

Reggie was a 4 year starter who lead the team to an ACCCG. He wasn’t worse than Suggs. He was better than Bennett too. He was better than Marshall and Graham. He is in the same general ballpark as Washington and Sims (so far).
LMFAO!!! Reggie Ball didn't lead Tech to jack öööö. Tashard Choice and Megatron carried Reggie Ball to an ACCCG. Where he promptly went 9-29 (31%!!!) with 0 TDs and 2 INTs. And 8 of the 9 catches were by Megatron. So, please. He was a terrible passer.

LMFAO!!! Reggie Ball didn't lead Tech to jack öööö. Tashard Choice and Megatron carried Reggie Ball to an ACCCG. Where he promptly went 9-29 (31%!!!) with 0 TDs and 2 INTs. And 8 of the 9 catches were by Megatron. So, please. He was a terrible passer.
That game made me sick. That was certainly one of the worst three losses I’ve ever seen in 40 years of watching Georgia Tech football.

The fact that Megatron only had eight touches during that entire game speaks volumes about the inaptitude of Patrick Nix and Chan Gailey. We could have literally Calvin Johnson up in the pistol and beaten WF by 2 touchdowns that game.

Utah brings more fans to a single home game than 3 or 4 Tech games is far from a mathematic impossibility. It’s a reality. Utah is a much better football program the Georgia Tech is right now. Georgia Tech has a long, long way to go until it could probably keep a football game against Utah even close.

LOL. Our lowest football attendance in years was over 30K. But let’s be conservative and say 20K. Unless Utah can fit 60 to 80K in their (just expanded to) 51K stadium, then it’s a mathematical impossibility that they draw 3-4x more fans than we do.

Thanks to Collins we’re pretty ööööty right now, so Utah and literally everybody else can beat us. But their attendance doesn’t have any impact on that fact.

JRjr

You have totaly discredited and embarrassed yourself with the the claim that "Utah has more fans show up at a home game than we do in 3 or 4 put together" is "mathematically impossible" due to stadium size. Sounds like you do not understand that stadium size only caps attendance; it does not set a foor. And Tech football attedance (other than when it;s 90% dwags) has been closeer to the floor under the current regime than the cap. Other than the dwag game, they could play in a stadium with a capacity of 25K and not really run into any problems, while Utah has sold out every game for years and even with the recent expansion, demand still exceeds supply. We couldn't get jackshit number of fans to travel a few hundred miles to Miami for the Orange Bowl, or even to Tampa for the ACCCG in 2009 (it was a sea of Orange). Utah packed Allegiant Stadium for the PAC12 championshop game, and then filled at least 70000 of the seats in the Rose Bowl a few days ago. Probably closer to 80000.

I am not contesting that Tech;s campus is safe. But the campus is only "super nice" if someone thinks a clean, safe, trailer park is "super nice." It's adequate - and nothing more than that.

As for Utah being irrelevant, are you talking about football? LMFAO!!! Delusional; ööööing delusional. Other than to a dwindling number of aging fans such as me, there are VERY few P5 football programs that are less relevant to ANYTHING than Georgia Tech football. It's been 7 years since Tech was even slightly relevant to anything. Utah has played in three of the past four PAC12 Chanpionship Games - and won it this year.

Academically, Tech is a superior school overall to Utah, for sure. But there are niches where Utah excels - - such as computer video game design where they have one of the top five programs in the country.

I'm guessing if you work at Tech, it's as a janitor or groundskeeper. Please tell me you don't have a Tech degree - even in IM.

LOL. You need to get a new schtick, dipshit. This GTRI senior research engineer with two engineering degrees (BCE and MSCE) says you can go öööö yourself.

Who do you love more, btw: Miami or Utah? You seem to be more of a fan of them than you are of Tech. What other dirtbag programs are you an expert on?

JRjr

My brother n law lives near the University of Utah and I’ve spent a lot of time out there.

1. The University is very nice. It makes Georgia Tech’s ugly brick buildings look like the eye sore they are. And it’s safe to walk around campus.

2. Utah has more fans show up at a home game than we do in 3 or 4 put together.

3. Utah is more of a fun college town and fun atmosphere. The University isn’t overrun by a bunch of nerd professors that take pride in flunking its’ students out, and snobby academic elitism. Those things are repulsive to student athletes and football players.

4. Just my opinion, but Utah is a much, much nicer place to live than Georgia. You get the best of all the seasons—-hiking and golf in the summer, skiing in the winter. And it doesn’t rain all the damn time.

5. They don’t have to compete with then”mini-NFL” UGA, Bama, Clemson, SEC for local talent.

I love GT. But you asked. Hope this helps.
Been living in slc since 2014, so here is some direct local perspective. I attend about one Utah game a year.

1. Yes and no. I don't find the buildings around the U's campus to be that much better than Tech. Adjacent scenery far exceeds at Utah though.

2. True. They just completed a major stadium expansion and it is very nice. The atmosphere is. Very good at each game, and tailgating is decent, but not close to Tech. The best their atmosphere gets (I was at the Michigan game in 2015) is not close to Tech at its best.

3. Completely agree on Utah being nicer than the South, but it's not for everyone, especially those that don't like cold, bad air quality with temperature inversions (it not uncommon to be worse than China), and hot and very smoky summers. The access to mountains cannot be beat by another city over 250k, but football players aren't exactly lining up to go ski.

5. Yes, and Utah/byu are the only players in town. There is no nfl nearby and no consistent fan loyalty to any one team, so there is generally more interest in college football.

No. It's still really low. And the liquor stores are state run and suck balls.
False and true. The law used to be 3.2% ABW which is equal to 4%ABV. This was changed to 5% ABV a couple years ago, and only applies to draft beer and beer sold in grocery stores and gas stations. The liquor stores are quite terrible, and most of us purchase liquor out of state.

Overall, Utah beer laws are not that far off from the rest of the country and we have medical marijuana now. Aside from ööööty liquor stores (Pennsylvania is far worse for alcohol laws), some weirdness on liquor license type (restaurant license requires food purchase with alcohol), and 5% beer in gas stations/grocery stores, it's not that bad.

Regardless, most of the above is anecdotal. Utah is very consistent both in recruiting, coaching, and player development. They have broad based support from sidewalk fans and alumni and pipelines to big Samoan guys. The upside at Tech is much higher once we have the coaching price figured out.

This was changed to 5% ABV a couple years ago, and only applies to draft beer and beer sold in grocery stores and gas stations. The liquor stores are quite terrible, and most of us purchase liquor out of state.
Yeah, the beer we bought was in a grocery store. We did have some pretty decent micro-brew in Moab, UT though.

I been around the block with the assholes in the Admissions department about this retention rate bull öööö before.

How are you defining it?

How about this. Whatever you want to call it, what percentage of students who enter as Freshman ever graduate with a Georgia Tech degree? How many do it in 4 years? How many in five?

I ööööing guarantee you NONE of those answers is "96%."

Freshmen retention was 96%. I don't remember the graduation rate offhand. My bad for not being more specific.

LOL. You need to get a new schtick, dipshit. This GTRI senior research engineer with two engineering degrees (BCE and MSCE) says you can go öööö yourself.

Who do you love more, btw: Miami or Utah? You seem to be more of a fan of them than you are of Tech. What other dirtbag programs are you an expert on?

JRjr
First, total bullshit that the lowest attendance in years was over 30000 as you claimed in another post. Total bullshit. Sold tickets, maybe. There is no WAY that the actual attendance at the BC game was anywhere near the listed 31000. Probably about 20K. 25K would be generous.

Second, I'm not arguing that the Utah attendance is 3 or 4 times Tech's. Wasn't me that said that, and I don't think it's true. But ACTUAL attendance is probably about double (ugag game and their 40000 dwag fans excepted). Anyway, you initially based your "mathematical impossibility" by only mentioning stadium capacity, which was asinine. So it may not be true - and I think it almost certainly ISN'T true - but the stadium capacities do not make it a "mathematical impossibility." And if 2022 isn't any better than 2021, it might become actual fact.

Third, I can most definitely see reasons to call Miami a dirtbag program, but what exactly makes Utah a "dirtbag program?" Back up your claim with something tangible. That is what a competent research engineer would do - back up his claims with facts and evidence.

Fourth, people say Miami has no fanbase . . . and yet Tech's game at beautiful Hard Rock Stadium drew at least 10000+ more than ANY Tech home game this year.

Fifth, I am an expert on a lot of öööö, and I know a öööö ton about a lot of college football programs. Would it be better if I was an ignorant doofus like you? I also like several college football teams, and root for many of them so long as they are not playing Tech, or a win would hamper Tech's bowl chances or conference championship chances, etc. Utah, yes, since my kid goes there. Oklahoma since that was my father's school. Used to follow Tennessee since my cousin played for them, but not so much anymore since he passed away. FCS ND State, just because I like the way they built that program and created a fun atmosphere in the middle of ööööing nowhere. Georgetown in the crappy Patriot League, just because I got one of my graduate degrees there. I followed the U when I lived in SoFla, before I even attended Tech, but can't really say I was ever a fan, although I have friends and family who are. WGAF. anyway?

Finally, I'm still sad that Tech has conferred one degree (never mind two) on an obvious moron like you. Then again, two of the dumbest öööööööööööös I have ever dealt with both graduated from Yale Law School. So öööö happens.

I still don't get the premise of the OP.

Why would anyone compare Utah with GT?

It's a dumb comparison.

First, total bullshit that the lowest attendance in years was over 30000 as you claimed in another post. Total bullshit. Sold tickets, maybe. There is no WAY that the actual attendance at the BC game was anywhere near the listed 31000. Probably about 20K. 25K would be generous.

Second, I'm not arguing that the Utah attendance is 3 or 4 times Tech's. Wasn't me that said that, and I don't think it's true. But ACTUAL attendance is probably about double (ugag game and their 40000 dwag fans excepted). Anyway, you initially based your "mathematical impossibility" by only mentioning stadium capacity, which was asinine. So it may not be true - and I think it almost certainly ISN'T true - but the stadium capacities do not make it a "mathematical impossibility." And if 2022 isn't any better than 2021, it might become actual fact.

Third, I can most definitely see reasons to call Miami a dirtbag program, but what exactly makes Utah a "dirtbag program?" Back up your claim with something tangible. That is what a competent research engineer would do - back up his claims with facts and evidence.

Fourth, people say Miami has no fanbase . . . and yet Tech's game at beautiful Hard Rock Stadium drew at least 10000+ more than ANY Tech home game this year.

Fifth, I am an expert on a lot of öööö, and I know a öööö ton about a lot of college football programs. Would it be better if I was an ignorant doofus like you? I also like several college football teams, and root for many of them so long as they are not playing Tech, or a win would hamper Tech's bowl chances or conference championship chances, etc. Utah, yes, since my kid goes there. Oklahoma since that was my father's school. Used to follow Tennessee since my cousin played for them, but not so much anymore since he passed away. FCS ND State, just because I like the way they built that program and created a fun atmosphere in the middle of ööööing nowhere. Georgetown in the crappy Patriot League, just because I got one of my graduate degrees there. I followed the U when I lived in SoFla, before I even attended Tech, but can't really say I was ever a fan, although I have friends and family who are. WGAF. anyway?

Finally, I'm still sad that Tech has conferred one degree (never mind two) on an obvious moron like you. Then again, two of the dumbest öööööööööööös I have ever dealt with both graduated from Yale Law School. So öööö happens.

TL;DR. Probably more of the same stupid öööö.

JRjr

I still don't get the premise of the OP.

Why would anyone compare Utah with GT?

It's a dumb comparison.
It’s not a dumb comparison imo. It brings up a lot of current realities in the “college” football landscape.

I’m guessing someone has the opinion that it should be easier to win at Georgia Tech than Utah. And that was probably the truth 15-20 years ago.
But “college” football is much more popular today than it was then. And there is certainly more $$$ to be made in CFB today.

Some schools——Utah have probably made winning football games more of a priority than they used to. My guess is winning football games is no more important tom the people that really run Georgia Tech right now, than it was 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago or 40 years ago.

The vast, vast majority of the alumni from Georgia Tech are far more envious of MIT than they are Alabama, Clemson or Georgia.

In other words where are they recruiting? I can’t believe HS football in Utah is that great. They must hit CA pretty hard but what is the selling point? Come play for the Mighty Utes.
Bottomline they have a better coaching staff, while we have a clown show on the Flats.... Georgia Tech needs to let the circus go, however the AD has his man!

Back