Votes: 52 24.8%

Votes: 73 34.8%

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • 8 or more

Votes: 18 8.6%

• Total voters

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
Where is a difference of 2 or 3 touchdowns a game going to come from in margin?
With an actual offseason, an actual QB going into year 2, talent upgrades at OL, DL, LB, and WR, and losing little experience and production from last year, I could see the offense gain 1 TD per game, and the defense prevent 1 additional TD per game. There's a 2 TD swing. Add in even considering kicking FGs and (hopefully) making better decisions on KR and PR, and that's somewhere between 2-3 TDs overall per game made up in margin. Ideally...

The Champ

Dodd-Like
With an actual offseason, an actual QB going into year 2, talent upgrades at OL, DL, LB, and WR, and losing little experience and production from last year, I could see the offense gain 1 TD per game, and the defense prevent 1 additional TD per game. There's a 2 TD swing. Add in even considering kicking FGs and (hopefully) making better decisions on KR and PR, and that's somewhere between 2-3 TDs overall per game made up in margin. Ideally...
I think the offesne will be much better, maybe 1 td again (especially when also considering the upgrade at K). Not sure why I'd expect the D to improve significantly, its basically the same crew +/- a few guys but I dont see where we are way better anywhere.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
I think the offesne will be much better, maybe 1 td again (especially when also considering the upgrade at K). Not sure why I'd expect the D to improve significantly, its basically the same crew +/- a few guys but I dont see where we are way better anywhere.
I think the biggest change we'll notice on defense will be on the DL. Getting TK, Younjouen (Belgium kid), and Clayton back healthy and ready to play is big on it's own at least as far as depth goes. Then add in Harris, White, and all the TF that get a full offseason, I think they'll be a lot better. On top of that, LB traded out Curry (who played well, but was limited with his speed) for Eley and I think another guy transfering in. Overall, We may see 4-5 players on the field on defense at a given time that weren't on the team last year. I think the defense will be very different.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
A complete roster turnover would mean replacing old regime seniors with new regime seniors, old regime juniors with new regime juniors, and so on.

What we have is very different. We have a roster of true freshmen, true sophomores, and redshirt freshmen, with a hodgepodge of flex seal transfers.

People wonder why I have so little respect for the old guard calcified GT fan base.
That's old school thinking. Clemson of all places started 5 true freshmen and true sophomores on defense last year.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
I think the biggest change we'll notice on defense will be on the DL. Getting TK, Younjouen (Belgium kid), and Clayton back healthy and ready to play is big on it's own at least as far as depth goes. Then add in Harris, White, and all the TF that get a full offseason, I think they'll be a lot better. On top of that, LB traded out Curry (who played well, but was limited with his speed) for Eley and I think another guy transfering in. Overall, We may see 4-5 players on the field on defense at a given time that weren't on the team last year. I think the defense will be very different.
Not sure any of the upperclassmen you mentioned are difference makers, if we’re counting on them to finally emerge I don’t have much hope for the D to be drastically better . In my mind one of the younger guys blossoming would be the only way the front 7 (or 6) transforms.

Wreck Em

Dodd-Like
5-7 because some of our opponents could be pretty good, or really terrible and at this point it's hard to tell. (Eg: VT, Pitt)
I'd be happy with 6

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
I think we go 6-6... We go Bowling!

NIU - WIN
KSU - WIN
at Clemson - Loss
UNC - Loss
Pitt - WIN
at Duke - WIN
at UVA - WIN
VT - Loss
at Miami - Loss
BC - WIN
at ND - Loss
UGA - Loss

BigChooch0405

Varsity Lurker
I voted 4, but I think the team will look better than a four win team. Clemson and UGA will be ugly losses but some of the others will be 7 points or less. I believe we are one year away from returning to the Tony the Tiger Sunbowl in El Paso

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Our roster appears to have improved. If we fail to be bowl eligible, we should be in the market for TWO new coordinators.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I don't foresee a bowl this season either. A lot of losses last year weren't close.

vs UCF: Loss by 4 touchdowns ... UCF finished 6-4 in the AAC
@ Syracuse: Loss by 2.5 touchdowns ... Syracuse didn't win another game all year
vs Louisville: Win by 2.5 touchdowns ... UofL finished 4-7
vs Clemson: Loss by over 9 touchdowns in what is easily the biggest loss of my entire lifetime
@ BC: Loss by 3 touchdowns
vs Notre Dame: Loss by 2.5 touchdowns
vs Duke: Win by 3.5 touchdowns
@ NC State: Loss by 1.5 touchdowns
vs Pitt: Loss by 2 touchdowns
As I remember it, we had a lot of 4th quarter collapses last year. Those collapses weren’t really depth failures so much as confidence failures where we could not handle something bad happening late. I think if we can gain confidence in being able to 1)score when it matters and 2) get stops when it matters, we could see a 2 TD per game swing.

I’m hoping CGC can show something this year. I think it would boost our recruiting, which is his strategy. Right now we are floating around 4th to 6th in recruiting in conference. Getting a win over UNC or Miami would be a big boost.

clapper

Dodd-Like
As I remember it, we had a lot of 4th quarter collapses last year.
You're not remembering correctly. All losses not named Clempsin (which was a total disaster), saw the other team putting up lots of points early to mid-game with no response from us.

UCF - 4 TDs straight across the 1st and 2nd quarters.
SYR - 17 straight 1st quarter points.
BC - 24 1st quarter points (34 1st half).
ND - 24 straight points from mid-2nd quarter.
NCSU - 20 1st half point (against 1 GT TD and 2 2nd half FGs).
Pitt - 20 straight points from late 2nd Q to mid-3rd quarter.