How Much Does a Good College QB Cost?

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
And does it bother anyone else that this is even a question???

Whatever happened to amateurism? What about student athletes?

Matt Ruhle says that a good college QB costs at least $1 to 2 milion. Some are making $5 or $6 million. I read that Caleb Williams is making $6 million. Shadeur $4.9 million.

By comparison, Brock Purdy's current 4 year contract with the 49ers has an average annual value of $934,252.

How is Tech ever gonna compete in that world when $3.5 million is too much for a head coach . . . I believe we're currently paying Key $2.8 million this year? Less than half of ONE player on USC's team. How are we going to pay quarterbacks $2 million? Sure it's NIL not the AA. But ultimately . . . it's ALL boosters. We just don't have the deep pocket boosters of a USC, a Bama, Oregon, dwagville, TA&M, Tejas, The O$U, UMich, etc. Some of those schools have been paying athletes under the table for years. But they haven't been paying them millions and then they're literally off to the highest bidder at the end of the year.

Six wins was nice this year. But only because the last four years were terrible. Unless folks are happy for six wins into perpetuity, I don't see how we ever get to 8, 9, 10 wins.

And in the meantime, I don't want to read ANY more crap about Haynes King. We are damn lucky to have him. The comeback he engineered at the end of the Miami game is probably Tech's best highlight in several years. Plus, when he talks about being a Tech Man, it makes you feel like he WANTS to be here, and it makes one proud.

So unless you're going to pony up a mill or two for someone else, shut the öööö up and be thankful for what we have.

You may now flame away at will.

I think while this may be true now, it’s in a temporary bubble that will come down to reality. College football players are pretty replaceable.

There is no proof of any of those amounts. Wild speculation, player/agent announcements, marketing estimates, etc.

This didn't take long:

This is the ranking that Shedeur is #2 and Travis Hunter is #6.

It's an algorithm value, not actual money the athletes are going to receive.

" While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career. The On3 NIL Valuation calculates the optimized NIL opportunity for athletes relative to the overall NIL market and projects out to as long as 12 months into the future. "

How Do I Increase My On3 NIL Valuation?
"Performance in an athlete’s arena will always lead to the biggest increase in an On3 NIL Valuation. Showing out at a high level in key games on the national stage will lead to a significant increase. Another example is the impact of being nationally ranked at a position. Rankings are based on continuity and consistency of performance

Athletes who constantly market themself and position themselves by doing the work and getting deals will see a jump in their valuation. Not everyone needs to be the top athlete in their sport to generate NIL income. By building strong NIL portfolios and verifying deals in the On3 Athlete Network, student-athletes can increase their On3 NIL Valuation and market rate."
One more item from the ON3 NIL list page:

" The On3 NIL Deal Tracker lists all NIL Deals across the NCAA for college and high school athletes being reported by players, collectives, agents and media. On3 does NOT disclose deal financial terms. Financial data is undisclosed and private to the athlete."

Sort of like recruits reporting their offers to ratings services.

Y'all got any claims that aren't fluff?

Are you seriously that ignorant? My degree just decreased in value

There is no proof of any of those amounts. Wild speculation, player/agent announcements, marketing estimates, etc.

[/QUOTE]
Are you seriously that ignorant? My degree just decreased in value

We've already had this discussion in the Deion thread and you never posted anything remotely resembling proof.

I reposted the links from that thread here in my OP.

All the proof I need is watching him on every other commercial on TV to know he's getting paid

Appreciate your posts calling BS on the NIL claims (or at least pointing out they're lacking evidence)

What is the OP’s point? To bash people non-supportive of Haynes King? to lament the current state of cfb? ….to point out for the umpteenth time that GT athletics is underfunded?

Maybe we should enjoy the bowl game for now and appreciate the effort from this staff and these kids….the future will be what it is.

All the proof I need is watching him on every other commercial on TV to know he's getting paid

Right. And you have no idea how much.

ON3 has done a great job of conflating their NIL valuation algorithm output with how much it "costs" to get a player.

So some agent representing a QB who wants to sign or transfer goes into the AD/Coach with the ON3 "valuation" and says, "See, Spencer Rattler made $1.4M so I need $1M for my QB." Ruhle then regurgitates that like that's what they have to come up with to get a QB. Rattler didn't make $1.4M - that is ON3's algorithm's "valuation" of his NIL earning potential.

Ruhle is either ignorant of ON3's game or using it as a lever to try to get donors to chip in more NIL $. Maybe both.

ON3 itself shows how their algorithm weights field performance, NIL deals, etc. to come up with a "valuation" and describes what it means. They also clearly state they are not divulging actual contract values.

Appreciate your posts calling BS on the NIL claims (or at least pointing out they're lacking evidence)
This reminds me of the early days of recruiting rankings that people called BS but most everyone now has come around to believe 5 star guys are generally better than 3 star guys

What is the OP’s point? To bash people non-supportive of Haynes King? to lament the current state of cfb? ….to point out for the umpteenth time that GT athletics is underfunded?

Maybe we should enjoy the bowl game for now and appreciate the effort from this staff and these kids….the future will be what it is.
Or, hear me out, we can start some öööö in a brand new thread and call people idiots on multiple fronts on a Thursday afternoon.

Partially why I quit responding to the thread, you still ignore the facts. There is a reason Caleb Williams is discussing not going to the draft and is putting a lot of parameters on his draft wishes.

It's not because he isn't making insane amounts of money as a college QB. On3 may not be perfect, but the numbers are close enough.

whatdoyourecommend.gif

Riddle me this….If Geoff Simms cost $100k+ and Haynes King cost $0, how much does a good college QB cost from the portal?

“Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future’s not ours to see
Que sera, sera”

Partially why I quit responding to the thread, you still ignore the facts. There is a reason Caleb Williams is discussing not going to the draft and is putting a lot of parameters on his draft wishes.

It's not because he isn't making insane amounts of money as a college QB. On3 may not be perfect, but the numbers are close enough.
He realized he lost the argument when he resorted to personal attacks
Riddle me this….If Geoff Simms cost $100k+ and Haynes King cost $0, how much does a good college QB cost from the portal?
Haynes King valued at 275k

We've already had this discussion in the Deion thread and you never posted anything remotely resembling proof.

I reposted the links from that thread here in my OP.
There's very clear proof of top QBs getting six figure NIL deals. Is it that crazy to assume they are getting 10-20 of those?

Whatever happened to amateurism? What about student athletes?

Amateurism went out the door the moment the first billion dollar TV contract was signed, and the first million dollar check was deposited into a coach's account.

It just took a while for it to actually happen.

Back