How Much Does a Good College QB Cost?

1) An NFT deal paid out of 12 installments (no time period given), tied to revenue share of selling the NFTs. Is the $1M guaranteed? Does he get the money if they don't sell any NFTs? CEO comment didn't say jack about the financial arrangement.

2) Auction of a playing card given to charity. One shot deal, and the player can't spend it.

3) Athletic article is over 18 months old. Can only read the beginning of the Athletic articles (paywalled), but if you click through their link regarding the $8M deal you see that it pays "up to" that amount. Player to receive $350K "almost immediately" then payments after his career starts. What does he get if he sits on the bench? Of course, everyone runs around screaming $8M!!!

Lots of smoke and marketing.
That's some impressive goalpost moving. Would love to hear why Arch "can't spend" his six figure NIL money he earned.

Here's more details from the Athletic article for you. Looking forward to hearing why these don't count either.

"A four-star receiver landed a deal that will pay him more than $1 million over the next four years in exchange for his exclusive NIL rights. A defensive lineman ranked among the top 10 at his position received a three-year deal worth $1 million. And a three-star defensive lineman signed for $500,000 over four years. The latter two are non-exclusive."

That's some impressive goalpost moving. Would love to hear why Arch "can't spend" his six figure NIL money he earned.

Here's more details from the Athletic article for you. Looking forward to hearing why these don't count either.

"A four-star receiver landed a deal that will pay him more than $1 million over the next four years in exchange for his exclusive NIL rights. A defensive lineman ranked among the top 10 at his position received a three-year deal worth $1 million. And a three-star defensive lineman signed for $500,000 over four years. The latter two are non-exclusive."

It said in the article the money was donated to charity and his daddy said he won't accept any NIL money until he is the starting QB.

I'm not saying they don't "count". It's just Hollywood gossip with no proof. One big unanswered question about all these deals is how much is guaranteed money. It's very common in sports deals that there are performance clauses, options and other caveats that make it highly unlikely the full value is reached.

Agents and players want there to be a bidding war for their services so are throwing unverifiable numbers out there to goose the market.

It said in the article the money was donated to charity and his daddy said he won't accept any NIL money until he is the starting QB.

I'm not saying they don't "count". It's just Hollywood gossip with no proof. One big unanswered question about all these deals is how much is guaranteed money. It's very common in sports deals that there are performance clauses, options and other caveats that make it highly unlikely the full value is reached.
A QB from a rich family earned a six figure NFL deal and donated it to charity because he doesn't need the money. That means that he earned a six figure deal. What he does with the money afterwards doesn't seem relevant to your original statement, which was "All I'm asking is for one person to post some actual proof of six figure deals".

There's clearly exaggeration out there and the "on3 valuations" are mostly made up. But players are getting paid.

A QB from a rich family earned a six figure NFL deal and donated it to charity because he doesn't need the money. That means that he earned a six figure deal. What he does with the money afterwards doesn't seem relevant to your original statement, which was "All I'm asking is for one person to post some actual proof of six figure deals".

There's clearly exaggeration out there and the "on3 valuations" are mostly made up. But players are getting paid.

He didn't "earn" it - a card with his likeness was auctioned off for charity. Arch is already on the team, so how does the transaction benefit him? I wonder how much of a tax deduction the purchaser will take on the transaction.

And he isn't rich, his family is.

Why don't you have your salary donated to charity? You'd still be getting paid.

I don't know why we are re-hashing this, it's nothing new the only that is new is transparency. 2010, Cam Newton takes Auburn to a championship and it's no secret Auburn paid for his services. We don't know how much but likely $200k+. And that's just the one that we know about 13 years before NIL.

I don't disagree that it will be hard for Tech to get one of the top level guys. But 3 star QB's aren't getting millions and places like Tech have always struggled with depth not because we don't have 100 guys on the roster like uga, but because we have to take projects and some pan out while others don't. Projects aren't getting paid millions. Tech has to hit on the right projects it's just that simple.

Ultimately GT is going to have to complete the same way Mizzou was able to have a top-10 season this year. Going to have to be happy with 6-7 wins hoping to hit that special season of 10+ wins every 3-5 years. I think expanding the playoffs helps Tech because if we can hit the playoffs in one of those magical years it will help with recruiting.

You are 100% right. The only problem is we never had to blow up the program to get there because we had already arrived under CPJ.

He didn't "earn" it - a card with his likeness was auctioned off for charity. Arch is already on the team, so how does the transaction benefit him? I wonder how much of a tax deduction the purchaser will take on the transaction.

And he isn't rich, his family is.

Why don't you have your salary donated to charity? You'd still be getting paid.
Are you saying it's a coincidence that the factories with the highest NIL payed players (according to on3) are also the ones winning national championships and playing in CFP games?

Are you saying it's a coincidence that the factories with the highest NIL payed players (according to on3) are also the ones winning national championships and playing in CFP games?

It's definitely not a coincidence, that's how the on3 algorithm works. They can't look at the NIL contracts themselves so they generate the NIL value for a player by looking at a) how big his team's market is (i.e. how many fans they have) and b) how the player and team are performing.

So the causal relationship here is not that the factories are getting the players with the highest on3 value and we can use that to predict that they will make the playoffs. It's that the factories have the most fans and are making the playoffs, thus on3 is assigning their players the most NIL value.

Per on3 itself:

While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career.

On3 saw a gap in the market where people really want to know NIL numbers but they're private, so they came up with a way to produce numbers that are nice and big and give people something to link to/complain about. And since there are a few that have been reported publicly, they stick those in there somehow and now they can claim they use real deal data.

Again, I'm not trying to say that no factory players are getting big NIL deals. Of course they are. I'm just saying that on3 valuations are simple guesses using the same publicly available data all of us have, which does not include the actual value of the players' NIL deals since that is private.

Look at the ON3 top 100 and explain why Spencer Rattler's value is higher than the UGAg QB.

Again, the ON3 value is not "NIL payed (sic)"

Look at the ON3 top 100 and explain why Spencer Rattler's value is higher than the UGAg QB.

Again, the ON3 value is not "NIL payed (sic)"
Because Spencer Rattler is worth more than Beck.. yet the rest of UGAs players make more than SC players

It's definitely not a coincidence, that's how the on3 algorithm works. They can't look at the NIL contracts themselves so they generate the NIL value for a player by looking at a) how big his team's market is (i.e. how many fans they have) and b) how the player and team are performing.

So the causal relationship here is not that the factories are getting the players with the highest on3 value and we can use that to predict that they will make the playoffs. It's that the factories have the most fans and are making the playoffs, thus on3 is assigning their players the most NIL value.

Per on3 itself:

On3 saw a gap in the market where people really want to know NIL numbers but they're private, so they came up with a way to produce numbers that are nice and big and give people something to link to/complain about. And since there are a few that have been reported publicly, they stick those in there somehow and now they can claim they use real deal data.

Again, I'm not trying to say that no factory players are getting big NIL deals. Of course they are. I'm just saying that on3 valuations are simple guesses using the same publicly available data all of us have, which does not include the actual value of the players' NIL deals since that is private.
Again you sound like what people used to argue about the recruiting rankings but eventually gave in

Again you sound like what people used to argue about the recruiting rankings but eventually gave in

No coincidence that the teams at the top of the recruiting rankings are at the top of ON3's NIL list.

ON3 is just providing an extended pre & post-recruiting evaluation service. 5 stars go to the P5 factories, perform well, get higher NIL valuation.

You've shifting from trying to defend illusionary NIL payments to shilling for ON3's valuation measures.

Because Spencer Rattler is worth more than Beck.. yet the rest of UGAs players make more than SC players

Rattler better than Beck? On what basis do can you claim that? If Rattler were at UGAg, would he have done better than gone undefeated?

How so? I am saying that the On3 NIL valuation does not represent the amount of NIL a player has. That's not my speculation, that's literally what On3 themselves say.

I do not deny that there are players getting a lot of NIL. I do not deny that being able to buy players with NIL helps you win. I do not deny that factories are building winning teams on the back of NIL.

I just deny that you can look at On3 to know how much NIL money a player is making, because if you read their fine print they themselves deny it. They do not know the actual NIL numbers any more than we do. They are just guessing in an attempt to provide a number which drives traffic to their site.

Rattler better than Beck? On what basis do can you claim that? If Rattler were at UGAg, would he have done better than gone undefeated?
Most definitely.. they would have had a larger margin of victory but more importantly would have sold millions more in QB # jerseys because he's not half as ugly as beck

Bet UGA wishes they had Spencer Rattler about right now

Back