How will parking changes impact visiting fans ?

Before Vince Dooley came to Athens, the Yellow Jackets and Bobby Dodd owned the dawgs. It appears Dooley and the dawgs can see the handwriting on the wall. Tech is about to come back strong and dominate the dawgs like we did prior to the Dooley entrance. Dooley and the dawgs sense this and want to replace Tech on their schedule with New Mexico State.

rolleyes.gif

I'll try to answer.....

First of all, The GTAA took away plenty of parking lots that were over-run by the visiting fans. This was done as a service to OUR fans. The ones who buy season tickets year in and year out.
bigthumbup.gif

Last year was simply incredible that OUR prime tailgating spots like AMC, O'Keefe, and others where over-run by the visiting UGA fans THREE DAYS PRIOR to the game. I'll bet that over half of those partying in the AMC lot did not even have tickets!
mad.gif

Now as far as where ya'll are going to park, my advice would be to try the lots over on Spring Street and maybe The Varsity. The problem I see for ya'll is that most of those lots may not want ya'll squatting for three or four days. But get this: The GT Police WILL ENFORCE the parking permits this year and most certaintly next year.
grin.gif

As far as Vince telling Dave Braine that the game will be moved from BDS to The Dome, I'm sure you were kidding. If that game is to be moved to The Dome, it will be for EVERY year! Not when its our home game, but to be played there as a neutral site. Interested? Did not think so.
pat.gif

Anyway this is well over a year away, so I would not worry about it too much. Good luck with your season.
cool.gif

In all seriousness, parking will be a problem now and forever. Until we all get Segways, that is.

Tech is fortunate enough to be located in the middle of a large city. This enhances us culturally, and financially. Unfortunately, it hurts our ability to grow. I've seen many green areas replaced with concrete or buildings in my time there.

I love it when I hear UGA fans (not the one who started this thread) make fun of BDS and how old it is. They don't realize that we don't have 50 cow pastures to put stadiums in whenever we want. Parking goes along the same way. The best way is to take Marta. A lot of people will make fun of us for this, but ask yourself this question...how many people drive to Yankee stadium when they go to a game? True, there is not a lot of tailgating at a baseball game, but sacrifices must be made somewhere.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
It appears Dooley and the dawgs can see the handwriting on the wall.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Time to find the crying towels, boys. Its in the cards..
thefinger.gif

Originally posted by MeLuvUgaLongTime:
Yeah, run away from Jackets. Right. I'm just saying that like it or not college sporting events are a business. You mistreat the paying customers and they'll take their business elsewhere. We'll tolerate losing an occasional athletic event to Tech but we won't play an opponent that does not provide an enjoyable gameday experience for UGA fans. This is about entertainment. Tech could learn a few lessons from Arthur Blank. I want visitors to Athens to have a great experience other than the outcome of the game. Maybe I'm just too steeped in southern hospitality. So enjoy our beautiful stadium, campus, and city and may the best team win.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I had to laugh at this... you want visitors to have a great experience in Athens? Are you kidding me... Athens, Ga?

Come on guy... lets get real here... unless someone is a student, there is little to enjoy in Athens... unless you like antiques or a good burger...

we will get you parked next year, dont worry... but I bet you will be cranking that RV up early to head back home... or across the street to your beloved Cheetah... (Give me a break !!)

Well. Nobody's been much help in me finding a good spot to put the RVs and tailgate in 03
smile.gif
. I'll have to take this up directly with the GTAA. We'll find a good spot to park and have a rockin good time. We may lose some games but we never lose the party. I'm still looking for this handwriting on the wall that says GT is about to overtake UGA. Must be the same handwriting that signed O'Leary's grad school diploma. Seriously, I would be concerned about GT had McWhorter been retained. I thought the Mac,Roof, O'Brien group was a winning hand that could have kept some continuity in success, coaching, and recruiting. But nooooooooooooooooooooo. GT couldn't hire a UGA man
smile.gif
. Take care all and we'll see you in Athens.

Originally posted by MeLuvUgaLongTime:
Seriously, I would be concerned about GT had McWhorter been retained. I thought the Mac,Roof, O'Brien group was a winning hand that could have kept some continuity in success, coaching, and recruiting. But nooooooooooooooooooooo. GT couldn't hire a UGA man
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">M.L.U.L.T.,
You don't make a lot of good points, and I seldom ever agree with a dawg, but you hit the nail squarely on the head this time. But it was not about hiring a Ugag man....it was about promoting from within the right man for the job.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Gailey may do a fine job at Tech. I've heard him praised by some people I respect. McWhorter probably was a more high risk/high reward candidate but I'm thinking that's what Tech should have tried. The good looks and people skills of a UGA man would have been a nice change from GOL. His UGA ties could have actually generated some broader fan interest too. Anyway no matter now. Funny what a difference a year makes. Gailey at GT and Zook at UF. Who woulda thunkit.?

Look, little buddy . . .

Riding the Marta train is really not any harder than greasing the zerk fittings on somebody's vehicle which you do everyday at your job at Jiffy Lube. Just drop the token in the slot, walk through the shiny turnstile and grab the transfer card, just in case you get off at the wrong stop and get lost somewhere around Simpson Street and need to catch the bus.

It's too bad that Georgia Tech does not have the benefit of offering free hay rides into the stadium for visiting fans like they do in Athens, but I'm sure you'll find Marta a mite bit hospitable if'n you kin stand the site of folks riding to and from a job on Saturday even, staring out the window disinterested in yore mighty dawgzez.

Be shore to call Zell and Roy and let them know you've stayed loyal to the Democratic Party ever since the Lester Maddox dayzez, and you want them to do sumthin' about these concarned ornery upstart yaller jackets who'd dare to mess with yore partyin' tradishuns.

"M.L.U.L.T.,
You don't make a lot of good points, and I seldom ever agree with a dawg, but you hit the nail squarely on the head this time. But it was not about hiring a Ugag man....it was about promoting from within the right man for the job."

Beeware, I thought you had grown some sense but I guess not.

"Be shore to call Zell and Roy and let them know you've stayed loyal to the Democratic Party ever since the Lester Maddox dayzez, and you want them to do sumthin' about these concarned ornery upstart yaller jackets who'd dare to mess with yore partyin' tradishuns."

Technician, let me know the answer you get when you write our last Republican Governor. Making fun of UGAG is one thing, making fun of the State of Georgia is another.

uzi.gif
rocketlauncher.gif

Wow, Bellyseries, I'm sorry I went over your head.

Here I was trying to make fun of the political naivete of rural podunk dawgfans, and I smoked out a politically ignorant Tech fan. Why don't you compare the politics of the old, populist, Southern Democratic Party with the current Democratic Party, and ask yourself how the h-e-double-hockey-stick we keep electing Democratic governors and hope to honor our state's heritage? I just met a guy tonight at the store who told me he was hoping cokehead Mark Taylor (actually running for Lt. Gov.) would run for Governor so he could vote for him instead of that so-and-so we've got up there now???? Then he talked about how the Democratic Party looked out for the corporations while the Republicans looked out for the people??? (Well, as of this date they both look out for the corporations). As the average IQ of our population continues to drop, we will be a society less and less worthy of democracy.

Believe me, I would never make fun of the state of Georgia. Sorry this is on the wrong board, but PATHETIC, PATHETIC, PATHETIC.

We've gotten off topic but I think a Republican governor would probably be good for Georgia. I endorse Sonny Perdue. He seems like a good guy and he's a fellow UGA alumnus too. Maybe he can get this BDS parking situation straightened out.

Everything about this preseason indicates that we are headed for an exact repeat of 2000. South Carolina wins easy.

Bad choice, MeLuv, but I was thinking the same until recently.

Visit Perdue, Bill Byrne and Linda Schrenko's websites and look at where all of them stand on the issues. Don't make your decision on something superficial. Remember that Perdue is a former Democrat. Go to the 'off topic' board and see my comments on it.

Yeah we have gotten off topic... about all I can figure out is that M.L.U.L.T. and Beeware are the same person, and he/she likes Varsity hotdogs, Sonny Perdue, and the Cheetah....

Tarzan, your honeyed tones reporting the joys of Athens are needed on Tigernet, where this is the impression of UGag gameday:

"Grown men and women, including 85-year old grandmas and grandpas, hurling epithets at you and anyone around you in orange including wives and little girls. Want your (theoretical) daughters to be called sluts and whores in front of you? Take them to a UGA game.

Getting flipped off a lot.

Having stuff thrown at you.

Having physical threats made towards you.

Lots of obnoxious drunks, and there's no significant differences between the fraternity boys (who you'd expect to be obnoxious and plastered) and the middle-aged folks who go to the games.

UGA's fans are awful--they deserve the reputation they have. Their fans are universally nasty to any opposing fan. I would highly recommend not going anywhere in the stadium alone. If they beat us, their fans are horrendous. If WE beat THEM, their fans are pretty close to rioting. Get out of Sanford after the game, and get out quick, no matter what the end result is. I've been to UGA twice (we lost both games) and both times I was threatened with violence.

Say what you want about the Gamecock fans--they're certainly obnoxious and irritating to be around--but I've never in my life felt physically in danger around their fans, even 80,000 of them. "

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Want your (theoretical) daughters to be called sluts and whores in front of you? Take them to a UGA game.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I thought that was a special touch

lach.gif

Back