HUNH Offense

If Clemmons goes quick 3 and out, we go on a 7 or 8 minute drive, and then Clemmons repeats the quick 3 and out, they are dead meat. We will wear them out.

From the other thread, CPJ said this on the radio show regarding HUNH. Don't think we'll see too much of it:

(Regarding Hurry-Up offenses) I believe it was the Carolina game, they kept going on and on about the pace, and they only had 10 points...They're wearin' somebody out but it sure ain't the other team.

Just doesn't fit with the type of team we have.

In a perfect world and executed properly, I think the Death March, with us running as much clock as possible between plays, would be the worst thing as a defensive player. Way better than the HUNH. Just my opinion.

From the other thread, CPJ said this on the radio show regarding HUNH. Don't think we'll see too much of it:

Then you see Jedeveon Clowney huffing and puffing with his hands on his hips during the 2nd quarter of their game against UNC.

I don't think CPJ understood the question. The question was about what we were doing (if anything) to prepare for it not are we going to start running it.

A team that runs the hurry up is going to have better conditioning during games because they practice it every week.

Then you see Jedeveon Clowney huffing and puffing with his hands on his hips during the 2nd quarter of their game against UNC.

I don't think CPJ understood the question. The question was about what we were doing (if anything) to prepare for it not are we going to start running it.

A team that runs the hurry up is going to have better conditioning during games because they practice it every week.

Pretty sure our D practices against a very fast-paced offense during the week. I have heard CPJ say on multiple occasions how he runs the ones and twos back to back against the D, as soon as one play is over, the next group is on the line, ready to go. Can't get much faster than that. Just because we like to "death march" during a game doesn't mean that's what our defense is conditioned to play against.

I think a large facet of our gameplan is to control the clock. HUNH has its advantages, but as pointed out it can kill your defense if you have 3-and-outs. What I would like to see is a change-of-pace use of HUNH. Trapping a defense in a bad alignment or personnel exchange should be a priority I think. For example if we ran trips out there like we did against FSU in '09 when Fisher famously admitted after the game that "we practiced all week against something they didn't even run" or something like that. We have a formation that the defense has not practiced against and then hit them with the HUNH to get a quick TD. Overall though, I don't think it plays into our gameplan.

Pretty sure our D practices against a very fast-paced offense during the week. I have heard CPJ say on multiple occasions how he runs the ones and twos back to back against the D, as soon as one play is over, the next group is on the line, ready to go. Can't get much faster than that. Just because we like to "death march" during a game doesn't mean that's what our defense is conditioned to play against.

I heard him say that last year in preparation for hurry up teams but I don't think we do that every week.

Rumor is that Georgia Southern is going to implementing a good bit of no-huddle. Didn't see it vs SSU, but didn't expect to.

Hopefully you guys can be a pilot program to see what does and doesn't work, and then Tech can steal some of it like we've done with the pistol.

I would like to snap the ball more often on offense, purely to gas the defense more. I mean heck, seems like a quarter of the time we run something that works we go right back and run it again. What if that was just the audible? No playcall necessary, just line up and run the same thing.

In a perfect world and executed properly, I think the Death March, with us running as much clock as possible between plays, would be the worst thing as a defensive player. Way better than the HUNH. Just my opinion.

hunh death march would tire them more, because there's less rest between plays. Would also mean more total possessions per half for each squad, which would give us more time to tire them out.

So long as it's not this kind of offense:

angina+pectoris.jpg

For example if we ran trips out there like we did against FSU in '09 when Fisher famously admitted after the game that "we practiced all week against something they didn't even run" or something like that.

Are you sure FIsher said that? He was OC in 09

hunh death march would tire them more, because there's less rest between plays. Would also mean more total possessions per half for each squad, which would give us more time to tire them out.

It also means our defense is on the field more and our depth is more of a worry than most teams. I would like to see it mixed in for a drive to start the second half or something. If nothing else, it gets us game experience for when we need to play catch-up.

It also means our defense is on the field more and our depth is more of a worry than most teams. I would like to see it mixed in for a drive to start the second half or something. If nothing else, it gets us game experience for when we need to play catch-up.

I'm actually interested to see what our win/loss ratio is for games with fewer possessions and more possessions. I bet we trend oppositely than you think. Our offense tends to wear people out more "per play" than many other offenses do.

I'm actually interested to see what our win/loss ratio is for games with fewer possessions and more possessions. I bet we trend oppositely than you think. Our offense tends to wear people out more "per play" than many other offenses do.

All I know is our defense has had some epic 4th quarter failures. MTSU, BYU, Clemson, and UNC all come to mind from last year. I think it's more of a TOP than number of plays. I remember Nesbitt's death marches just taking the legs out of a defense. Something the quick scoring offense doesn't do to the same extent.

who needs a HUNH offense when you have a HUNG offense?

Football is not supposed to be a chess match. If the offense gets lined up, they can snap the ball. If you don't like it, tough öööö, that's football. Whiny coaches just don't like strategies they aren't prepared for.

Don't want to hear you complain when it becomes standard practice to take a knee and get a medical team to come clear your booboo before letting the game continue. Faking injuries may be illegal, but it's such a grey area that it falls as much within the confines of the rulebook as does the HUNH offense.

Both are gimicks. Both are going to be happening more and more.

Back