HUNH Offense

While the HUNH can help create mismatches either through alignment or personnel ,via rapid substitution, I don't think HUNH will do much in the way of alignment or personnel mismatches for GT. First, CPJ uses the same personnel all the time (i.e. 1xBB, 2xAB, etc). Second, CPJ uses one alignment most of the time. We've seen saw pistols looks last season, in some games he'll run out of a trips look, and we see the WR/AB-as-a-TE alignment sometimes. However, none of these are drastic changes compared to what you'll see in some offense. For example, we're not going to go from an I-formation to a five-wide to a pro-set on consecutive snaps.

Since the opposing defense doesn't have to contend with the changing personnel and doesn't have to contend with varying formations, I don't see GT creating any alignment or personnel mismatches by virtue of going HUNH. What the HUNH brings to the table then is just the ability to run more plays in less time, which, as has been noted, is not necessarily beneficial.

Here's a gem from CPJ's radio show:

Johnson watched the North Carolina-South Carolina game, in which broadcasters evidently spoke about the effect of North Carolina’s no-huddle game.

“Hell, they had 10 points,” Johnson said. “It was like, Yeah, they’re wearing somebody out, but it’s not the other team.”

Back