Hype Train Boyz... explain this

UGAg lost 5 games in 2016. We weren't the only team to give them trouble. We gave neither UGAg nor Clemson any trouble in 2017 or 2018.
2016 was also more than two seasons ago, which is why my statement about giving them trouble said "the past two seasons."

2016 was also more than two seasons ago, which is why my statement about giving them trouble said "the past two seasons."
We're moving on from the option. Unlike some, I think we can beat people with other offenses, even if they are 'just like what everyone else is doing'. If Collins crashes and burns, I'm sure Monken will still be available at Army. No one else in P5 will be beating down his door to run that 'innovative' offense.

If we keep running the option offense, we will be so outclassed by those teams, even stealing their plays won't beat them. It's a catch-22.
Im not intending to suggest its the only way, just expressing concerns about us landing on a scheme thats overly similar to what everyone else is doing. I really enjoyed cpjs offense, but its not the only good one nor the only one that can work for us.

Why do you think this? We beat UGA coached by Kirby Smart in 2016. Using the option. We aren't a national title contender. Those are the only teams that have given UGA and Clemson trouble the past two seasons.

Syracuse beat Clemson last year and gave them a very good game this year. It's been awhile since we gave Clemson a good game. It may be a few more years before we're able to do so.

I'm commandeering this thread now to enlist Stingtalkers with musical talents to join our new band Hype Train Boyz. Reply to this post and I will add you and the instrument you play. We will meet at coit's basement on the weekends for rehearsal, schedule TBA.

Hype Train Boyz
---------------------------
akinji - Trumpet/Keyboard
savbandjacket - Drums
I got the PA.

Syracuse beat Clemson last year and gave them a very good game this year. It's been awhile since we gave Clemson a good game. It may be a few more years before we're able to do so.
Key to competing with Clemson: have the turf eat Deshawn Watson's knee or concuss Trevor Lawrence's coconut.

I'm commandeering this thread now to enlist Stingtalkers with musical talents to join our new band Hype Train Boyz. Reply to this post and I will add you and the instrument you play. We will meet at coit's basement on the weekends for rehearsal, schedule TBA.

Hype Train Boyz
savbandjacket - Drums

gtfan088- Theremin

Key to competing with Clemson: have the turf eat Deshawn Watson's knee or concuss Trevor Lawrence's coconut.

True. Pitt beat them fairly recently (2016?) and NC State has given them some good games occasionally, so it can be done. Of all the things to hold against PJ, though, his recent lack of success against Clemson is pretty far down the list imo. Having said that, we didn't really appear to be doing anything to help minimize the gap either.

Why do you think this? We beat UGA coached by Kirby Smart in 2016. Using the option. We aren't a national title contender. Those are the only teams that have given UGA and Clemson trouble the past two seasons.

LSU and Bama aren't running option offenses nor are Pitt and Syracuse. All 4 gave Clemson and the mutts trouble recently.
Clemson and the mutts have completely bitch-slapped the CPJ offense the past 2 years (And Clemson going even further back than that)

Hype Train Boyz
savbandjacket - Drums
Put me in for the cowbell........you can always use more cowbell.

We're moving on from the option. Unlike some, I think we can beat people with other offenses, even if they are 'just like what everyone else is doing'.
We will beat some, and lose some. I think a GC team will be better on defense than offense just because that’s what he knows. I’m interested in who he brings in. I like that the option maximizes the talent you have. I don’t understand why we would want to get away from something that maximizes our biggest weakness. We have been very good offensively when we have a good QB. Attracting a good QB will always be our issue given the proximity of bigger, more attractive football schools. This is why to me getting Godsey involved may help since he’s able to say he “coached” Tom Brady.

I apologize for the oversight. Do you want to trade football decades with Syracuse? I don’t think Syracuse is as well positioned for long term success as we are or were. I view them similar to Duke and/or UNC a few years ago. That’s just my opinion obviously.

Bobby Cremins ... the battle field has changed. This is not the 80 or 90s... heck it is not even the 00s.

APR changes in 2011 have created more football graduates and basketball graduates but has hurt GTs ability to get and keep talent.

APR changes are an issue, but so was CPJ's offense. The good news is that we are now going to see if it can be done or not and it looks like we got the perfect guy for that job.

I'll say this again to the "but academics!" crowd. If you believe the 2 and 3 star guys we signed had any better academics to qualify than the 4 and 5 stars who turned us down, I've got a bridge to sell you. It takes a kid with a work ethic and academic support system in place.

Hype Train Boyz
savbandjacket - Drums
Also, I hear @JJacket can play a mean skin flute.

I know his mom sure can.

We will beat some, and lose some. I think a GC team will be better on defense than offense just because that’s what he knows. I’m interested in who he brings in. I like that the option maximizes the talent you have. I don’t understand why we would want to get away from something that maximizes our biggest weakness. We have been very good offensively when we have a good QB. Attracting a good QB will always be our issue given the proximity of bigger, more attractive football schools. This is why to me getting Godsey involved may help since he’s able to say he “coached” Tom Brady.

The thing is, while it maximizes that weakness the issue and fear people have is that it might also make that weakness maximum.
Getting Godsey to coach an option QB cause he "coached" Tom Brady is a lesson in contradiction. If you mean in general there then sure, can get him as QB's coach (for a different offense) for that reason.

College basketball is a one and done sport. Nobody worth a öööö is going to come here when they can coast through a giant nothingburger of classes somewhere else for one goddamn semester and go in the first round.

Seriously, it's basically a 16 "school" developmental league at this point. But we got cool alt unis. I guess.

With their QB gone, I don't think Syracuse will be giving Clemson any more fits. He was a difference maker.

College basketball is a one and done sport. Nobody worth a öööö is going to come here when they can coast through a giant nothingburger of classes somewhere else for one goddamn semester and go in the first round.

Seriously, it's basically a 16 "school" developmental league at this point. But we got cool alt unis. I guess.

But that plays more into our favor than it does football.

You can come here, sign up for the hardest classes tech has to offer, fail every one of them, and still go to the NBA. Classes are completely irrelevant thanks to the one and done rule.

Back