Hype Train Boyz... explain this

This is for you. Three GT legends. The one with the three phones in his hand is the one recrootin. The other two just love him.

Maybe I'm the only one here, but who are the two guys CGC is with? Also, thanks for the good info you've been sharing lately thwg. :bigthumbup:

I'm commandeering this thread now to enlist Stingtalkers with musical talents to join our new band Hype Train Boyz. Reply to this post and I will add you and the instrument you play. We will meet at coit's basement on the weekends for rehearsal, schedule TBA.

Hype Train Boyz
---------------------------
akinji - Trumpet/Keyboard
savbandjacket - Drums
Can you do a boats and hoes remix?

@Skydog ... the post is very logical, but maybe my communication is poor. I’ll clarify. People said CPJ was a bad recruiter and also that the option prevented GT from getting high ranking recruiting classes. They also say he is a SOB and his krankiness also prevent good recruiting classes.

I was debunking this stance through sarcasm by pointing out that basketball faces the same true GT recruiting issues that football does and it has nothing to do with CPJ, his krankiness, and or the option. The option will never get the NFL uga type players, but neither will GT in general compete with uga budgets and 80k stands. The option gave us a top 25 offense 8 of 11 years despite getting GT normal talent as averaged over the last 30 years.
Well, right up until he retired I was on the fence about CPJ. I didn't dislike him. I actually think he's a good guy. But, the whole thing, him, the offense, had run it's course. I don't buy into that we can't consistently recruit 4 or 5 star prospects for football and send folks off to play on Sundays. My thought is if you aren't going to go after the best people (players) the why even field a team. The goal every year should be to win the ACC and make the playoff. In regard to hoops: I think the problem now is not GT but rather Pastner himself. I never liked that hire. He may prove me wrong down the road but for now the outlook is not good.

I give CPJ credit for his offensive production, but going back to the Ross, B L and O'Leary days, we recruited better than under CPJ. Gailey, no, up until that 2007 class. If the "data is out there" to disprove that, show me. CPJ hasn't signed anything approaching the quality of O'Leary's top classes, some of which were at the back end of the Top 25 nationally. I had the old recruiting magazines and used to follow the old Border Wars website. We used to get one or two of the Super 11 every year. We're lucky to get one of the top 50 prospects in Georgia now. I hate to keep this argument going, but you are delusional. Matt Miller (AJC Super 11), Dez White, Joe Burns (AJC Super 11), Ed Wilder (AJC Super 11), Chris Edwards (AJC Super 11), Kerry Watkins (4 star), Sidney Ford (4 star), Jeremy Muyres (4 star), Nate Curry (4 star), Tony Hollings (4 star and Super 11) all were guys who CPJ wouldn't have sniffed. Mark Logan didn't pan out as a QB, but he was a 4 star recruit. Heck, B L signed AJC Super 11 guys like CJ Williams and Derrick Stegall. Shall I continue? iiwii

Gailey recruited several guys with long NFL careers. Will Heller, Calvin Johnson, Bebe Thomas,Michael Johnson, Andrew Gardner, maybe Chris Reis. Going by memory on a plane but I would say Gailey absolutely recruited more elite players in 7 years than Johnson did in 11 years.

GT has consistently had elite talent even in the 70s/80s/90s because of where we are located. It is only in the last 7 seasons the talent has been noticeably declining.

Last edited:
Gailey recruited several guys with long NFL careers. Will Heller, Calvin Johnson, Michael Johnson, Andrew Gardner, maybe Chris Reis. Going by memory on a plane but I would say Gailey absolutely recruited more elite players in 7 years than Johnson did in 11 years.

GT has consistently had elite talent even in the 70s/80s/90s because of where we are located. It is only in the last 7 seasons the talent has been noticeably declining.

Wheeler, Morgan, Bey Bey, Burnett, Vance Walker

Maybe I'm the only one here, but who are the two guys CGC is with? Also, thanks for the good info you've been sharing lately thwg. :bigthumbup:

Joe Burns, former RB. Ashley Henderson, former lineman.
Wheeler, Morgan, Bey Bey, Burnett, Vance Walker

Yes I was just trying to remember the non-2007 class since folks only remember that class. Hell, Calvin and Demaryius alone are pretty impressive. Two potential HOFers. Forgot about Wheeler and Walker. Man for those who have only watched GT since 2010, they can’t fathom having elite talent like GT always has until recently. The problem has always been depth.

But that plays more into our favor than it does football.

You can come here, sign up for the hardest classes tech has to offer, fail every one of them, and still go to the NBA. Classes are completely irrelevant thanks to the one and done rule.[/

I guess even Marbury survived Psych1010. Or is he famously the only person to ever fail that class?

The GT issues are real. Granted, staying in school at GT now is a helluva lot easier than ever. But recruiting with UGA or Clemson is not the goal or expectation. Recruiting and beating Ole Miss, UNC, SC, Vandy, NC state, etc. is the goal. If Collins can get us to top 25 consistently in recruiting, we at least have a chance to compete for ACC Championships consistently.

I was listening to Tom Luginbill yesterday morning on XM. An NC state fan asked him about the Griffin kid in Rome staying committed. He and McElroy said Griffin goes to GT if GT wants him but the bigger issue is many of these SEC and ACC schools plucking 4 stars from GA just changed. Luginbill, no fan of GT, said basically NC state and others are not going to beat Collins for recruits. The landscape has drastically changed in Georgia.

a talking ESPN head saying it is one thing.
I hope they're right. But I also want to see some evidence.
we got led down a road where we wound up, for whatever reason, playing guys who were not academically eligible - or not staying on track - and it cost us twice, didn't it? Recruiting at Tech isn't easy and it's different, not just because of PJ's scheme, than the last time Collins was here.

Here we have a guy in CGC who is out there selling Tech's challenges as advantages; a great degree AND big time football.

we've been doing that.
Part of CPJ's sell has been that Tech isn't a four-year decision, it's a 40-year decision, because Tech gets you ready for life beyond college.
The Ellison who committed under PJ - and has stayed committed - said it doesn't matter to him what the offense is. He wanted to come to Tech for its education.

Back