Hype Train Boyz... explain this

I'll say this again to the "but academics!" crowd. If you believe the 2 and 3 star guys we signed had any better academics to qualify than the 4 and 5 stars who turned us down, I've got a bridge to sell you. It takes a kid with a work ethic and academic support system in place.

Back in 09, usatoday published a list of average sat scores for FBS football teams. GT was the only team that broke 1000/1600. That isnt an accident.

Back in 09, usatoday published a list of average sat scores for FBS football teams. GT was the only team that broke 1000/1600. That isnt an accident.

And back in 07 we had the number 17 class in the nation.

The thing is, while it maximizes that weakness the issue and fear people have is that it might also make that weakness maximum.
Getting Godsey to coach an option QB cause he "coached" Tom Brady is a lesson in contradiction. If you mean in general there then sure, can get him as QB's coach (for a different offense) for that reason.
I meant in general, not for option.

As has been previously stated, it's not like we haven't been offering a lot of the best recruits in the state. They are not too dumb for us to offer, we're just not getting any of them.

As has been previously stated, it's not like we haven't been offering a lot of the best recruits in the state. They are not too dumb for us to offer, we're just not getting any of them.

Then we'll just assume that they were just too dumb not to accept.

This is half true. There are plenty of guys that we offer and get turned down by, but there are plenty more that we don't even bother to recruit because there's zero chance they'd cut it at GT if they somehow managed to get in.

Help enlighten me on why basketball cannot bring in top ranked recruits given our excellent 100% all out congenial for the people never cranky never smirky people person and recruiting coach... is he just not dedicated like CPJ was not dedicated or did the option hurt basketball recruiting too.

By the way, I like the BB coach, I just don’t like some of you ; )
I've only been on here since Thursday but that's the least logical post I've seen so far. ...Dodd help us.

This is half true. There are plenty of guys that we offer and get turned down by, but there are plenty more that we don't even bother to recruit because there's zero chance they'd cut it at GT if they somehow managed to get in.
I'm sure there are non-qualifiers that we don't recruit. But it's a much smaller number than most people assume.

And in looking at Georgia's top recruits right now, indeed, most of them do have offers from us (at least by the list on Rivals, which is only as good as the recruit telling them.)

The bulk of the talent is now coming from the metro area, which means a lot more of them are likely to get in and do just fine.

Last edited:
I'm commandeering this thread now to enlist Stingtalkers with musical talents to join our new band Hype Train Boyz. Reply to this post and I will add you and the instrument you play. We will meet at coit's basement on the weekends for rehearsal, schedule TBA.

Hype Train Boyz
---------------------------
akinji - Trumpet/Keyboard
savbandjacket - Drums
Can we do death metal covers of Nsync, Backstreet Boys, and Color Me Badd songs?

And logically if you are an offense player at any position with any outside chance of getting drafted in the nfl, you are not going to go to the school that runs an offense based upon the triple option. So that right there is a big time limitation on top end talent.

@Skydog ... the post is very logical, but maybe my communication is poor. I’ll clarify. People said CPJ was a bad recruiter and also that the option prevented GT from getting high ranking recruiting classes. They also say he is a SOB and his krankiness also prevent good recruiting classes.

I was debunking this stance through sarcasm by pointing out that basketball faces the same true GT recruiting issues that football does and it has nothing to do with CPJ, his krankiness, and or the option. The option will never get the NFL uga type players, but neither will GT in general compete with uga budgets and 80k stands. The option gave us a top 25 offense 8 of 11 years despite getting GT normal talent as averaged over the last 30 years.

@savbandjacket the option was not here but for the last 11 years and incidentally included a very bad AD. What 11 year period in he last 30 years did GT recruit better than CPJ. What period in the last 30 years did the offense rank 8 times in 11 a top 25 offense. The data is out there... don’t believe the media or people from uga or people who envy uga.

Take the red pill and find out...

Truely, I should just wait like all the other pot shot shooters that came out after every loss or hung fire CPJ from thier frat house...

@savbandjacket the option was not here but for the last 11 years and incidentally included a very bad AD. What 11 year period in he last 30 years did GT recruit better than CPJ. What period in the last 30 years did the offense rank 8 times in 11 a top 25 offense. The data is out there... don’t believe the media or people from uga or people who envy uga.

Truely, I should just wait like all the other pot shot shooters that came out after every loss or hung fire CPJ from thier frat house...
I give CPJ credit for his offensive production, but going back to the Ross, B L and O'Leary days, we recruited better than under CPJ. Gailey, no, up until that 2007 class. If the "data is out there" to disprove that, show me. CPJ hasn't signed anything approaching the quality of O'Leary's top classes, some of which were at the back end of the Top 25 nationally. I had the old recruiting magazines and used to follow the old Border Wars website. We used to get one or two of the Super 11 every year. We're lucky to get one of the top 50 prospects in Georgia now. I hate to keep this argument going, but you are delusional. Matt Miller (AJC Super 11), Dez White, Joe Burns (AJC Super 11), Ed Wilder (AJC Super 11), Chris Edwards (AJC Super 11), Kerry Watkins (4 star), Sidney Ford (4 star), Jeremy Muyres (4 star), Nate Curry (4 star), Tony Hollings (4 star and Super 11) all were guys who CPJ wouldn't have sniffed. Mark Logan didn't pan out as a QB, but he was a 4 star recruit. Heck, B L signed AJC Super 11 guys like CJ Williams and Derrick Stegall. Shall I continue? iiwii

Last edited:

I care about 1 stat. Wins.

@Skydog ... the post is very logical, but maybe my communication is poor. I’ll clarify. People said CPJ was a bad recruiter and also that the option prevented GT from getting high ranking recruiting classes. They also say he is a SOB and his krankiness also prevent good recruiting classes.

I was debunking this stance through sarcasm by pointing out that basketball faces the same true GT recruiting issues that football does and it has nothing to do with CPJ, his krankiness, and or the option. The option will never get the NFL uga type players, but neither will GT in general compete with uga budgets and 80k stands. The option gave us a top 25 offense 8 of 11 years despite getting GT normal talent as averaged over the last 30 years.

Very few question that he engineered an effective offense. Even many of those who hate the option recognize this point. There's more to being a head football coach than producing a good offense, though. Our defenses were never very good during his 11 years, and special teams were usually somewhere between shaky and terrible. There are plenty of ways to win football games. CPJ's way was with the option; now he's retiring and we're going in a different direction.

Back