I forgot how fun it was to watch a solid defense

cajunjacket

Dodd-Like
Seeing our guys fly around and create utter havoc tonight was so satisfying. It’s the first time in a long time that I’ve seen us absolutely overpower another team.

This isn’t a fluke. We have the athletes. Thacker is maturing each game. Our players were running around tonight with an insatiable lust for knocking the tar holes in the mouth. Damn, I love this squad!

Some of my favorite Tech games ever were during the Gailey/Tenuta era. The 7-3 win over Maryland was one of the most exciting and enjoyable games I've ever seen. It must have been at least 2007 since the last time I found our defensive play this encouraging and fun to watch. Can't wait until next week.

Some of my favorite Tech games ever were during the Gailey/Tenuta era. The 7-3 win over Maryland was one of the most exciting and enjoyable games I've ever seen. It must have been at least 2007 since the last time I found our defensive play this encouraging and fun to watch. Can't wait until next week.
Agreed. I’ve been in the habit of preparing my anus after each change in possession thanks to CPJ’s bend-and-probably-break defenses. Bless CPJ, but his defense … :puke:

Agreed. I’ve been in the habit of preparing my anus after each change in possession thanks to CPJ’s bend-and-probably-break defenses. Bless CPJ, but his defense … :puke:
It's kind of crazy to think about how even in some of our best campaigns over the last 20 years, I don't think we have had any full seasons where we felt like a complete team which wasn't sorely lacking on one side of the ball or the other. Under PJ we just had the offensive firepower to overcome our typically awful defense. Under Gailey we had vicious defenses with an offense ranging between woefully inconsistent and incompetent. It's possible I'm forgetting a season somewhere, but 2000 was the last year that comes to mind where I felt like we had "it" on both sides of the ball.

I think it was UNC's first possession when Dobbs caught a pass over the middle and somebody just crushed him. He had deer-in-the-headlights for the rest of the game and even the announcers noticed - he had several drops after that.

And I can not wait to see what we are cooking up for Pitt. I'm already starting to feel sorry for the Pitt offense - I think Thacker and Collins are going to unleash holy hell on Pitt.

The pure energy! Guys I believe Tech could have played another Quarter easily ! if this continues to roll, that Ugag
game is going to be something else. No way Ugag rolls Tech. Let’s beat the ever shiite out of Penn! Lord knows after last year they deserve it! GO JACKETS!!!!

In the spirit of Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid ... "Who are these guys? Is this the GT D"s "New Reality" or another foolish expectation? I believe that there is a true basis for hope here ...

Add the Miami game to that list (at Miami) when they were ranked #4.

In the Notre Dame 3-3 tie the Black Watch was so good you almost wanted the offense to give the ball back to ND so you could watch them.

Teams that play good defense are more exciting. You are quiet on offense except to cheer the big plays when they happen, but being loud on defense and being rewarded with stops is a more interactive and engaging activity that results in a better fan experience.

Our attendance will improve if the defense keeps this up.

Most sacks in a game since 2007. That would be peak Tenuta.

And many of those were coverage sacks as we rushed 3. Against an early-round pick QB. Collins has always been known to develop DBs, and it's starting to show.

Last edited:
I think it was UNC's first possession when Dobbs caught a pass over the middle and somebody just crushed him. He had deer-in-the-headlights for the rest of the game and even the announcers noticed - he had several drops after that.

And I can not wait to see what we are cooking up for Pitt. I'm already starting to feel sorry for the Pitt offense - I think Thacker and Collins are going to unleash holy hell on Pitt.
Think that was King.

In the Notre Dame 3-3 tie the Black Watch was so good you almost wanted the offense to give the ball back to ND so you could watch them.

Sorry, but that wasn't BlackWatch. Every game except that one was Hard to Watch.

It’s been a long time since we’ve seen so many defensive players in the backfield getting after the QB. It’s the only way to get good QBs like Howell off their game. So nice to see them perform so well when they absolutely had to.

It was great seeing our guys picking up opponents and tossing them around like rag dolls. For years, it’s been the other way around.
Thankfully we didn't do that on the 4th down sack where the refs ate the flag. Three players or so were holding Howell up and after the whistle blew they just dropped him on his back and held their hands up. It was pretty funny

They were bad, but they weren't Ted Roof 1999 bad.

But yes. I'd forgotten what it was like to watch a good defense too. I'm not sold on our defense being truly good yet, because UNC might just be bad, but our defensive positioning, ability to beat blocks, and overall coaching looked better than it has in at least a decade last game.

It's definitely giving me a reason to watch a few more games.

Back