I forgot how fun it was to watch a solid defense

CGC's time at Bama is paying uge dividends

CGC isn't a lazy recruiter that just fills a slot with a Guy that wants to be at GT

CGC tries really hard to use each scholarship on a Guy that has a certain Ht-Wgt-Speed Profile for his projected position

We look a lot longer and faster at the DE & DL positions, CGC goes after guys like Ivey that was 6-6 245lbs coming out of HS

When the other Team snaps the ball we just look a lot different on Defense from just a raw Athlete perspective, we are starting to look more like Noter Dame (sic) on Defense

Notice how Collins never complains about what some other School (Bama, uga, Clemson) has , never complains about Academics, he just goes and finds Athletes with the Ht-Wgt-Speed Profile to build his Team from the ground up

Honestly, it shocks me that CGC catches so much grief from our Fans, he's a non Stop GT Marketer regardless of the constraints he has to work with , a quality that should endear him to a tightwad Fanbase like ours

Not only this, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a coach who wants to win as badly as him. My man is in tears (or almost in tears) every time we win. His halftime interview at the Benz, he was so red in the face and eyes were red and he was drenched in sweat. He is out there busting his ass on the sideline and wants so badly to win. It means so much to him. The WANT TO and the NEED TO win for a coach just over 2 years into a 7 year contract is great to see.

A few of the coaches on staff have the drive too. Look at this dude and tell me he doesn’t want to win.

We are getting to the point where we are turning the corner, I believe. All the hype and gimmicky stuff that has been painful in back to back 3 win seasons is going to start making a lot of sense soon. For all the talk about relentless effort and attacking and PtBD and win every play, that sure looked like a team who believed in all of that last Saturday. They dominated Carolina in every phase of the game till the final whistle.

Agreed. I’ve been in the habit of preparing my anus after each change in possession thanks to CPJ’s bend-and-probably-break defenses. Bless CPJ, but his defense … :puke:

I actually thought Woody was building something good before cpj left. Everyone else was too inconsistent to be good on the whole.

While cgc seems to have finally turned the corner on this defense, let's not overstate the change. The team is growing in their maturity and have only had 2 standout performances on defense. CGC still has a long way to go to build a trend that outpaces his average.

Let's play Parallel Universe for second

What do you think CGC's record would have been had the Previous Staff left him a Roster substantially equivalent to the 2008 Roster that the previous Guy walked into?

Do you still think he's a 3-win HC walking into that kind of Roster?

If you still think he would have been a 3-win HC, then maybe you can't be helped, you are probably set in your ways

However, if you think CGC would have been more than a 3-win HC with a better Roster left behind by the previous staff, then that leads to one conclusion

You have to take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself why the previous staff didn't leave behind a 2008-quality Roster talent-wise

I've already done that analysis, have a good idea as to the right answers, and that's why I'm giving CGC a long leash to get things right

Based on our Budget and current situation, we are lucky as hell to have CGC as our HC, I already know that, by the end of the Season a lot of others will know that also

Get used to these words and phrases:

Elite

High Level

If you're still playing the "prior coach's roster" argument, you may want to check out the starters for this year and see how many were cpj recruits.

My football X’s and O’s are not the greatest. But I did not understand several of the defensive schemes we used against Carolina. Were we in a 3-4 set some of the time? What were we doing to pressure Howell and get tackles for a loss?

Last edited:
I mainly agree with your point, but the Citadel game sticks out as a huge problem with your question. Even with our roster where it was going into 2019, we should have been bigger, faster, and stronger across the board compared to the Citadel, and been able to win just by physical superiority. If we found a way to lose that one, I'm not 100% convinced having a better roster would have made a huge difference at the beginning of 2019. That said, we appear to be starting to get the wrinkles ironed out and starting to build a true team identity. I'm excited to see how this year shapes out and I'm confident for the first time that we won't be playing games with one leg moving forward.
You underestimate the lack of functionality of the inherited roster in doing basic offensive football, and some defensive stuff too, There were essentially no upperclassmen to lead the younger players. Everyone had to be walked through by the coaches on everything they learned. That did not leave any time to prepare for the option, part of a week at most, which as everyone here knows takes some time to prepare for.

And no, we did not have the physical superiority to just roll out helmets onto the field. If you look at the recruiting class of 16 which should have been the backbone of the 2019 team, it was gutted before the new coach got here, and the remainder of the players had ratings of players Citadel could have recruited. Not saying we did not have any players, but when the top 10 players of any class injure, transfer out, whatever, you have taken a huge hit.

You underestimate the lack of functionality of the inherited roster in doing basic offensive football, and some defensive stuff too, There were essentially no upperclassmen to lead the younger players. Everyone had to be walked through by the coaches on everything they learned. That did not leave any time to prepare for the option, part of a week at most, which as everyone here knows takes some time to prepare for.

And no, we did not have the physical superiority to just roll out helmets onto the field. If you look at the recruiting class of 16 which should have been the backbone of the 2019 team, it was gutted before the new coach got here, and the remainder of the players had ratings of players Citadel could have recruited. Not saying we did not have any players, but when the top 10 players of any class injure, transfer out, whatever, you have taken a huge hit.
You're going to trigger some Scanners head explosions this morning

My football X’s and O’s are not the greatest. But I did not understand several of the defensive schemes we used against Carolina. Were we in a 3-4 set some of the time? What were we doing to pressure Howell and get tackles for a loss?
Looked like 3-4 most of the time, and looked like a lot of the sacks were caused by good coverage. Just my 0.02.

I'll be honest, if we can just have our offense play decent and our defense to play like this every game, we'll be lethal

I don’t quite under stand the people that emphasize some of the sacks were coverage sacks. In years past, it did not matter how good the coverage was; the QB had as much time as he wanted to wait for someone to break open. It is a good sign if an OL doesn’t make a gross mistake and your DL can still collapse the pocket after a couple of seconds.

You can scheme stuff and take away the QBs first option if you DL can do that. If your DL can’t then you have few options.

I don’t quite under stand the people that emphasize some of the sacks were coverage sacks. In years past, it did not matter how good the coverage was; the QB had as much time as he wanted to wait for someone to break open. It is a good sign if an OL doesn’t make a gross mistake and your DL can still collapse the pocket after a couple of seconds.

You can scheme stuff and take away the QBs first option if you DL can do that. If your DL can’t then you have few options.
Coverage sacks are the best types of sacks. It literally means all 11 guys did their job effectively.

Coverage sacks are the best types of sacks. It literally means all 11 guys did their job effectively.
Yeah, I just want to make sure we appreciate that the DL is playing at a high level. I don’t think we have a Derrick Morgan but as a group they are playing well.

Too often a non-coverage sack is cuz an OL screwed up and let someone blow in unblocked. Fun to watch, but I don't want to have to rely on the other team making mistakes like that.

But it is super fun to watch when it is not your quarterback.

What’s the story with Clayton… has he played this year? Zero tackles vs UNC.

and any update on Keion White’s return?

Back