I forgot how fun it was to watch a solid defense

Some of my favorite Tech games ever were during the Gailey/Tenuta era. The 7-3 win over Maryland was one of the most exciting and enjoyable games I've ever seen. It must have been at least 2007 since the last time I found our defensive play this encouraging and fun to watch. Can't wait until next week.
I'd prefer 35-3 where offense works too.

And just think - we still have a couple of defensive lineman who haven't played yet and *might* make a big impact when they do.

/

CGC's time at Bama is paying uge dividends

CGC isn't a lazy recruiter that just fills a slot with a Guy that wants to be at GT

CGC tries really hard to use each scholarship on a Guy that has a certain Ht-Wgt-Speed Profile for his projected position

We look a lot longer and faster at the DE & DL positions, CGC goes after guys like Ivey that was 6-6 245lbs coming out of HS

When the other Team snaps the ball we just look a lot different on Defense from just a raw Athlete perspective, we are starting to look more like Noter Dame (sic) on Defense

Notice how Collins never complains about what some other School (Bama, uga, Clemson) has , never complains about Academics, he just goes and finds Athletes with the Ht-Wgt-Speed Profile to build his Team from the ground up

Honestly, it shocks me that CGC catches so much grief from our Fans, he's a non Stop GT Marketer regardless of the constraints he has to work with , a quality that should endear him to a tightwad Fanbase like ours

CGC's time at Bama is paying uge dividends

CGC isn't a lazy recruiter that just fills a slot with a Guy that wants to be at GT

CGC tries really hard to use each scholarship on a Guy that has a certain Ht-Wgt-Speed Profile for his projected position

We look a lot longer and faster at the DE & DL positions, CGC goes after guys like Ivey that was 6-6 245lbs coming out of HS

When the other Team snaps the ball we just look a lot different on Defense from just a raw Athlete perspective, we are starting to look more like Noter Dame (sic) on Defense

Notice how Collins never complains about what some other School (Bama, uga, Clemson) has , never complains about Academics, he just goes and finds Athletes with the Ht-Wgt-Speed Profile to build his Team from the ground up

Honestly, it shocks me that CGC catches so much grief from our Fans, he's a non Stop GT Marketer regardless of the constraints he has to work with , a quality that should endear him to a tightwad Fanbase like ours
His best win total on a season is 3 games. Fans root for the team and like to watch the team win. They don’t root for recruits.

why would it shock you that one of GT’s worst coaches by winning percentage catches grief from the fans? It’s the defining metric that matters in his position.

His best win total on a season is 3 games. Fans root for the team and like to watch the team win. They don’t root for recruits.

why would it shock you that one of GT’s worst coaches by winning percentage catches grief from the fans? It’s the defining metric that matters in his position.
Let's play Parallel Universe for second

What do you think CGC's record would have been had the Previous Staff left him a Roster substantially equivalent to the 2008 Roster that the previous Guy walked into?

Do you still think he's a 3-win HC walking into that kind of Roster?

If you still think he would have been a 3-win HC, then maybe you can't be helped, you are probably set in your ways

However, if you think CGC would have been more than a 3-win HC with a better Roster left behind by the previous staff, then that leads to one conclusion

You have to take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself why the previous staff didn't leave behind a 2008-quality Roster talent-wise

I've already done that analysis, have a good idea as to the right answers, and that's why I'm giving CGC a long leash to get things right

Based on our Budget and current situation, we are lucky as hell to have CGC as our HC, I already know that, by the end of the Season a lot of others will know that also

Get used to these words and phrases:

Elite

High Level

Notice how Collins never complains about what some other School (Bama, uga, Clemson) has , never complains about Academics,
Didn't the hill make a few secret concessions when they hired him?

I think if we can hurry up and figure out how to exploit this whole "pay your players with endorsement deals" nonsense we might be able to recruit to the level of our regular competition.

Maybe use Waffle House as a front organization?

Ok here me out.

Waffle House endorses our offensive line. All our OL put WH patches on their jerseys. WH puts their faces on the menu, which means their "likeness" is being used, so they're eligible to get paid. 10% of all hash brown sales go to a pot of endorsement money split among the OL starters.

We become the only team in the country paying OL, which means we end up with one of the most elite OLs in the country.

Profit.

Ok here me out.

Waffle House endorses our offensive line. All our OL put WH patches on their jerseys. WH puts their faces on the menu, which means their "likeness" is being used, so they're eligible to get paid. 10% of all hash brown sales go to a pot of endorsement money split among the OL starters.

We become the only team in the country paying OL, which means we end up with one of the most elite OLs in the country.

Profit.
And to sweeten the deal we let them eat free at the on campus Waffle House. No other school can match that, because they don't have an on campus Waffle House.

We need more Guys around here like you @beej67 with creative ideas to get more Talent on Campus , yep you're right about WaHo

The only rule going forward, is there are no rules WRT illegal recruiting

Our rivals have been paying players for years and that has been out biggest Achilles heel. And they are going to figure out how to exploit the new semipro status of the NCAA quickly. If we care at all about competing we have to figure it out faster and get our guys paid more than their guys. Amateur sports are dead, pay some damn players.

Our rivals have been paying players for years and that has been out biggest Achilles heel. And they are going to figure out how to exploit the new semipro status of the NCAA quickly. If we care at all about competing we have to figure it out faster and get our guys paid more than their guys. Amateur sports are dead, pay some damn players.
Why not TV commercials, Coke cans, head shots on Delta planes on the tail fin, etc. let’s go big.

What was Bobby Ross' record after just two years? It wasn't so pretty either. I'm not say CGC is Ross, what I am saying is look at the big picture. I could tell Ross was building. I can tell Collins is building.

What do you think CGC's record would have been had the Previous Staff left him a Roster substantially equivalent to the 2008 Roster that the previous Guy walked into?

If you still think he would have been a 3-win HC, then maybe you can't be helped, you are probably set in your ways

However, if you think CGC would have been more than a 3-win HC with a better Roster left behind by the previous staff, then that leads to one conclusion

You have to take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself why the previous staff didn't leave behind a 2008-quality Roster talent-wise

I've already done that analysis, have a good idea as to the right answers, and that's why I'm giving CGC a long leash to get things right

Based on our Budget and current situation, we are lucky as hell to have CGC as our HC, I already know that, by the end of the Season a lot of others will know that also

Elite

High Level
I mainly agree with your point, but the Citadel game sticks out as a huge problem with your question. Even with our roster where it was going into 2019, we should have been bigger, faster, and stronger across the board compared to the Citadel, and been able to win just by physical superiority. If we found a way to lose that one, I'm not 100% convinced having a better roster would have made a huge difference at the beginning of 2019. That said, we appear to be starting to get the wrinkles ironed out and starting to build a true team identity. I'm excited to see how this year shapes out and I'm confident for the first time that we won't be playing games with one leg moving forward.

Elite

High Level
Completely agree. CGC started at a very difficult time. A dearth of talent and then covid. Usually you give a coach about 3 years to start making a difference. COVID stole a bit of that time from him, so I'd say 4 years.

Let's think of another institution with a known, great coach who is also having a hard time getting things going (finally turning the corner this year) - UCLA and Chip Kelly. His records the first three years there? 3-9, 4-8, and 3-4

Ok here me out.

Profit.
Not exactly WH, but...

Back