I have some more coaching news

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Look at what their RBs gained. They were gashing the Clemson D but they kept going away from it.
I agree. The only thing stopping the Bama run in the first half was the Bama playcalling passes. Dabo said that at halftime. Why Bama didnt ride that horse to a lead is inexplicable.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Look at what their RBs gained. They were gashing the Clemson D but they kept going away from it.
If you watched the game you saw Bama's RBs getting stuffed in the red zone. I think Bama had 3 trips with first and goal for zero points.

“We didn’t finish drives in the red zone,” coach Nick Saban said. “We could have got right back in the game now. We had the ball down there three times and didn’t score a point, didn’t score a point. We had a fake field goal, went for it on fourth down twice, had the ball on the 1-yard line.”
Most of that was Clemson's DL manhandling and/or blowing through Bama's OL.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
If you watched the game you saw Bama's RBs getting stuffed in the red zone. I think Bama had 3 trips with first and goal for zero points.

Yet they couldnt do that between the 20s. Actually the 5s. Of course on the 1 the OL is outnumbered, no?

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like

That's crazy. It was far more atrocious playcalling or brain farts on Bama's part than it was Clemson making Bama uncomfortable...let alone manhandling them.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
That's crazy. It was far more atrocious playcalling or brain farts on Bama's part than it was Clemson making Bama uncomfortable...let alone manhandling them.
What's crazy is watching Clemson swarm a Bama RB for a loss and arguing that the OL dominated. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, Bama's OL is very good; but Clemson's DL is better.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
What's crazy is watching Clemson swarm a Bama RB for a loss and arguing that the OL dominated. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, Bama's OL is very good; but Clemson's DL is better.
Who said Bama OL was dominating? For most of the game, Bama gained a billion yards between the 20s and then went hurr durr in the redzone.

In the end, sure you could say Clemson's DL made some plays but no way did they impact the game more than Bama's questionable playcalling and bone headed penalties and unforced mistakes.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Arent we the guys who complained when we got away from the TO? The ol’ cliche goes, “Dance with the one who brought you” The passing game/Tua is what got Bama to the title game. This was not the ground and pound and play good defense Bama squad. So expecting them to do otherwise in the MNC is a bit ridiculous

Last edited:

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Arent we the guys who complained when we got away from the TO? The ol’ cliche goes, “Dance with the one who brought you” The passing game/Tua is what got Bama to the title game. This was not the ground and pound and play good defense Bama squad. So expecting them to do otherwise in the MNC is a bit ridiculous
Tua was injured, right? Not that I care. I was pulling for CU.

Keys? Need to know basis, but heard we are waiting for Peterson to clear out his office suite so coaches can move in.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
I think there's another saying along the lines of "do what works", but I legit have no idea who says that.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
I still don't understand why they didn't throw it to Calvin Johnson on almost every play. Out of four chances I'm sure he would have at least caught it once.
No my friend, you must dance with Pat Nix.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
but...but...but the guy calling the plays should have recognized the fact that the running game was moving the ball at a consistent clip, and then they'd call for a pass that totally destroyed any momentum they may have gained. IMO, offense should be used for at least two purposes. 1) Put points on the board and 2) Keep the other team's offense on the sideline to prevent them from putting points on the board. The OC failed to recognize the art of positive reinforcement with the run game, and it bit them in the arse.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
but...but...but the guy calling the plays should have recognized the fact that the running game was moving the ball at a consistent clip, and then they'd call for a pass that totally destroyed any momentum they may have gained. IMO, offense should be used for at least two purposes. 1) Put points on the board and 2) Keep the other team's offense on the sideline to prevent them from putting points on the board. The OC failed to recognize the art of positive reinforcement with the run game, and it bit them in the arse.
As stated before, Veneables was able to effectively coach the CTR bend but don’t break defense. Yes, Bama run game was get 4.8yds/rush, but they were stopped from scoring TDs once in the red zone. So it’s kinda moot point imo. Even if they ran the ball more, Bama wasnt stopping Clemson without a pass rush.

Last edited:

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Agreed, bee. Venables spent the space between the 20s making sure Tua didn't get a receiver slipped past the secondary. His adjustments in the red zone made a big difference. I was amazed Bama never got away from the run game. The play where they slipped the tight end (Herb Smith I think) out left on a right strong side defense showing full blitz was flawless. Venables was clearly covering the middle and right side run game that got Alabama into a goal line situation. In my mind I called for the same type of play call on defense... definitely would have been scored on just like Venables. After that drive, there were no surprises from Alabama's offense. It was power running with a little option in there (and one errant shovel pass that Clemson would score on during their following drive). Anyone that watched Clemson play the triple option this year could tell you Clemson has the discipline and lateral speed to stop a 3rd down QB sweep, but Alabama was out there trying it anyway. The only thing I can think is that Alabama got gun shy with the play calling after Tua's interceptions. Clemson was playing some lights out man coverage all game, getting wrapped up at the point of completion and getting their hands in there to disrupt. Maybe they didn't want to risk a tight window in the end zone.