I think the main reason I want B'OB to ..................

law_bee

Dodd-Like
I think the main reason I want B\'OB to ..................

leave is because of Beeware.

I think I can let slide

1. the fact B'OB was prepared and packed to sneak off to southbend like a bandit in the night

2. got on an atlanta radio station and was giddy with his new opportunity

3. seems to interview for every job opportunity (excluding custodial)

4. seems to be confused and not use his personel effectively

BUT WHEN BEEWARE OPENLY SUPPORTS SOMEONE it would make me question the great DODD himself

Re: I think the main reason I want B\'OB to ..................

Hey Law, I wondered where my gauntlet got off to, now I think you must have taken it.
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Bill O'Brien is one of the finest young coaches in the entire college game. Don't believe me???? Then ask Ralph Friedgen.

Of course when George O'leary got the Notre Dame job he asked both Bill O'Brien and Ted Roof to go with him?? Why did he do that??? Because he knew that they both are excellent coaches, young and energetic, and getting better every year.

Bill O'Brien held this team and this program together while Chan Gailey was leading Miami to the Super Bowl (yeah right). We ended up with a small but effective recruiting class because of Bill O'Brien. Without him, the hiring of Chan Gailey would have been an even bigger immediate disaster.

Bill O'Brien was sought after by other teams. No surprise at that. But it did look kind of funny (really a forewarning) that once O'Brien got a close-up look at Chan Gailey and this ragamuffin staff that he put together, that he was smart enough to realize that Chan did not have a clue what it was going to take to win in Division 1 (Division 1 experience that was obviously lacking for anyone that actually read 'the resume' and wasn't blinded by the 'lites' sic).

Bill O'Brien has done as well as could be expected this year with Chan Gailey stifling him at every corner. As has been stated before, Bill O'Brien is the designated scapegoat. He will be gone after this year and all the FOCers will use this as an excuse to ignore the coming demise of our program under a clueless Chan Gailey and Dave Braine.

All this was not necessary. We had an excellent staff that coached the Seattle Bowl. We had momentum from the big win over the #9BCS Stanford Cardinal. We had a staff of excellent recruiters. They would have been ready to hit the ground running in spring practice instead of trying to learn their way around campus or learning the players names.

The hiring of Chan Gailey was the wrong man at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. It is an abomination of historic proportions for TECH's program. We will pay for this for many, many years. It was not necessary.

BW how do you respond to the fact that DB wanted to hire someone else but the nerds would not let him? Why can you not respond to sincere questions about your rantings? Are you just gutless with no ability to defend what you say?

Texstinger, not speaking for Beeware, but from his post it appears he is saying if we had hired the Seattle Bowl staff, Braine would not have had to search for a coach. I don't know how good Mac would have done, but I do know Braine's handling of his coaching hires has been classless.

Beware - you may be correct. Do you think we will actually know?

texstinger,
I don't necessarily buy your premise that Chan wanted to hire someone else. I would agree, that given Chan's other hires, it is unlikely he would have hired a talent like Coach O'Brien on his own though.

Chan needed someone to hold the fort together while he was still struggling down in Miami....so I don't buy the fact that O'Brien was forced on him.

I have stated many times that when Coach O'Brien interviewed for the Minnesota Vikings job, that it was a big indication of his lack of confidence in Gailey, than it was actually thinking he would get the pro job.

I think O'Brien probably should have left. I think Gailey should have hired his own man. I stated that at the time. It would have been a big loss for TECH but it would prevent all the FOCers from having an excuse for the oh-so-slow learing curve that has prevented Chan from having the success that this talented team deserved.

Coach O'Brien is merely a scapegoat....to buy Gailey a little more time until everyone realizes what a mistake has been made in his hiring.

Tenuta is the BEST Defensive coach we have had at TECH in my lifetime.

The Offensive Line is playing better than it has in years. WE have a WALK ON FRESHMAN running for 100 yd games.

So which coaches are not doing their job?

the only problems I see are on the offense. We do have lapses on special teams but they have improved as well.

who is the offensive coordinator? that seems to be the weak link to me

I honestly don't want BOB to go...I think he has the potential to be a good one, but he is definitely not there.

I know BOB isn't the QB coach, but he needs to do something about that position. He should have groomed Suggs and Bilbo a lot better than he has. Suggs shouldn't have looked like a deer in headlights early in the season. BOB should have taken actions to fix this. Granted, Suggs has gotten significantly better, but I wonder if thats just because Suggs is getting his groove back as a big time QB. Of course we are all wondering how Bilbo can be here for 1.5 years and still only know a small portion of the playbook. In the end, BOB has to be responsible for all this.

I will say that BOB has made some big improvements the last few games and you can definitely see his potential. But like many of us has said, his QB coaching abilities are sub-par. I doubt our record would have been any better if it was a senior-year Joe running the offense.

I honestly don't want BOB to go...I think he has the potential to be a good one, but he is definitely not there.

I know BOB isn't the QB coach, but he needs to do something about that position. He should have groomed Suggs and Bilbo a lot better than he has. Suggs shouldn't have looked like a deer in headlights early in the season. BOB should have taken actions to fix this. Granted, Suggs has gotten significantly better, but I wonder if thats just because Suggs is getting his groove back as a big time QB. Of course we are all wondering how Bilbo can be here for 1.5 years and still only know a small portion of the playbook. In the end, BOB has to be responsible for all this.

I will say that BOB has made some big improvements the last few games and you can definitely see his potential. But like many of us has said, his QB coaching abilities are sub-par. I doubt our record would have been any better if it was a senior-year Joe running the offense.

Originally posted by beeware:
If we had a senior year Joe Hamilton playing QB for us this year, we would most likely be UNDEFEATED.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bull.

We lost 2 games Joe's senior year we had no business losing: the Miami and Wake games. Miami held us to 13 points!! This is with Joe and Friedgen! How is that exactly possible? Wake held us to 23 while running all over us like they did this year.

Face it, with BOB, the playcalling earlier was shabby. With BOB calling the plays, we probably would have had a better chance with Joe at Clemson, probably done a lot better with Joe at MD. Don't think Joe would have beaten FSU, he never did. This year's Wake games was just like the '99 game. Honestly, the only game that I think Joe would have won for us is the Clemson game.

Originally posted by beeware:

If we had a senior year Joe Hamilton playing QB for us this year, we would most likely be UNDEFEATED.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Not looking to take part in the BOB debate but I was just surprised to see some of the things I saw in the thread.

Pretty bold statements Jimbo. You doubt a senior Joe Hamilton wouldn't have helped Saturday because he could never beat FSU anyway? Jimbo, Joe Hamilton went down to Tally his senior year to take on the #1 team in the nation that also finished #1 and played one of the best games in college football history.

22 of 25 for 387 yards and 4 touchdowns. He led GT to points on nearly every possesion yet GT still lost 41-35 because it's defensive unit was probably the worst in school history.

As far as the other games you mentioned from his senior year, he was sick during the Wake Forest game and hadn't practiced all week. Plus, he was playing without his top WR. In regards to Miami, let's not forget they are 32-1 since that game. We might have had a little business losing to them;-)

Originally posted by Axe:
Pretty bold statements Jimbo.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My point was that if anyone thinks simply plugging in Joe for AJ would have gotten us a perfect season, I don't agree.

How is it ok for Joe to lose games because of a crappy defense, but not AJ to lose because of bad play calling and losing a whole bunch of players on both sides of the ball?

Joe simply played inspired football in that FSU game. Thats why it was such a great game. If you think the defense lost some games for Joe (which I do), you gotta cut AJ some slack too.

Jimbo, I'm not trying to bash AJ. He is probably our best QB option, but IMHO the lack of consistent QB play has been our biggest weakness this season.

I believe the game plan Saturday was on the money. We played great defense, special teams and ran the football. What we didn't do was protect the football or make big plays in the passing game. If you can' suggest a lack of ability at the QB position was a reason we lost this game, then what can you?

You could say that we asked AJ do things he wasn't capable of, but there were big plays there and we just couldn't execute them. If you could blame BOB for anything it would be that he expected too much from AJ saturday. Still you plug in a QB with Joe Hamilton's ability to throw the deep ball and create things with his feet and that GT team rolls against FSU. Everything was cooking pretty good in most areas Saturday. We are just a little limited physically at the QB position.

Tenuta is the BEST Defensive coach we have had at TECH in my lifetime.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Law - you obviously forget the records and aggressive play with Randy Edsell. How many touchdowns do we have defensively this year? This year the entire defense was back and Edsell had freshmen. With Edssell they were always in position to make the plays.

I stand by the statement that Tenuta is the best D coach in 30 years at Tech.

I do know that Edsell did a great job however we were feasting off weak teams.

Tenuta is doing it at a time when the ACC offense's are VERY good. He has our defense improving every game.

If he stays for a few years I think EVERYONE will come to see he is the best we have had.

I tend to agree with you on Tenuta, Law. He has done a fine job.

Beeware must be smoking crack....again....last year O'Leary was holding O'Brien back...this year it's Gailey....and of coarse per usual Beeware does not offer one single shred of facts just more of his incessant bable which polutes this board

Well lets look at the facts again. First of all, BeeWare, you were supposed to just post #1, and we could just skip the words in the post. We have already memorized it.

Since we are repeating ourselves, I must restate the facts. O'leary was 16-17 without Friegden at GT. His record was 34-13 with Friegden. O'leary's record against UGA without Friegden was 0-4, with Friegden it was 3-1 against UGA.

O'Brien's only year without Friegden calling the plays was 7-5, and he was blessed with a QB as smart as Friegden in calling plays. Ralph often said Godsey generally called the same plays he would have called.

Friegden had Tech at full speed and Tech was supposed to dump LSU in the Peach Bowl. Without Friegden, O'Brien tanked in the Peach Bowl.

O'Brien has not set the world on fire this year. The offensive scoring keeps dropping from the Friegden days with O'brien at the controls. O'Brien has not shown any ability to coach quarterbacks and has not improved any quarterbacks under him.

In fact, it could be truthfully stated, some of Godsey's game deterioated after the departure of Freigden. He never seemed quite as sharp as he was under Friegden.

O'Brien interviewed for several pro jobs, and it was rather telling that he lost out on them. He was passed over for somebody else in each instance.

The final analysis can be made by comparing the qualifications of Nix as an OC with O'Brien as an OC. It is clearly definitive, on paper, the offense should improve drastically with Nix replacing O'Brien.

So to many and myself, it hurt Tech in the long run to retain a non-loyal O'Brien who was trying every means available to get away from GT without having to lose a job. It should drastically improve Tech when Nix is announced as OC. We will then have an OC who both understands offenses and can coach the QBs up instead of down.

It is unfortunate we have to get the coaches involved in the debate again, but I think BeeWare's post begs for a response of this type.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Back