If we come away with anything from last night's results

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
I don't know. I would like to see the school prez asked the question about GT's commitment to athletics now that the NIL and portal have significantly changed the major revenue sports. Is GT going to do more to compete (read: money)? Or, is GT content to bounce along and see what happens and make a decision if the so called super conference of 24-30 teams materializes and decide then?

But while fan enthusiasm like yours is great and we need more of it, I don't think that the average fan will help facilitate the changes we'd like to see. Need major donors/the admin to do so.
I agree 110%.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Tell me more about your charity that is paying every OL that maintains eligibility $50,000/yr like they have at Texas.

Tell me more about your billionaire cocaine real estate cowboy who wants to build a new Bobby Dodd while mysteriously holding much of the real estate around it like they have at Miami.

Tell me more about your ability to tap and burn through generations of wealth on 19 year olds who spend most of their time on TikTok.

Are you willing to part with $1,000,000 for a blue chip QB who transfers after one year? Willing to double down with $2m on the next one with a smile?

This isn't the world of everybody chip in to A-T or IPTAY. This is the world of above the table fully legal pay to play. And Disney is dropping off $5,000,000 more every month in Athens and College Station and Oxford and Nashville than they do in Atlanta and Tallahassee and Blacksburg. That's before we account for bag men or ticket revenue etc.
Not to pick on you specifically, but these complaints are tiresome. Maybe we don't have oil men throwing money at the program, but what's that got to do with having allowed the likes of Duke to surpass us in football spending in the last decade? The teams we actually have to beat to have a successful season are have-nots, too, for the most part. UVA, VPI, and Pitt are dropping a million dollars on a QB? The blue bloods have always had it good. Can we do the things we can do instead of whining about the things we can't?

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Last night proved again that the SEC championship is meaningless. Expanding the # of playoff spots will make it even more so. Or less so? Wtfever

theDude47

Dodd-Like
I didn’t come away from last night with any new ideas or revelations. Our problems start with the Institute itself and aren’t going to change.

We are run much more like MIT than a typical football/basketball school and it shows. Athletics are an afterthought and nowhere close to being a priority like most of the teams we’re competing against. Most of these schools are using their athletics program to drive people towards their academics and will pour whatever money they can on branding, recruiting, and coaching just to advertise their university. We can’t compete with that. That’s just not how we operate and we’ll continue to fall even further behind these schools.

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
I would be curious the poll on average GT student graduating this year on how many football games they went to while in school?

Admin only cares about us going up rankings in US News and World Report. What is this ESPN you speak of.
It's probably a low percentage, sadly.

That's the sad reality. Tech grads for the most part move out of state. Mutt alumni state put. That has to change. There's plenty of engineering jobs in Georgia.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
No. I don’t feel like it. I’m not going to compromise the lifestyle of myself or family so that my alma master’s football team can be exceptional. I’m sick that people want to and do this all over the country instead of pouring money into charity work, research programs, or local causes. It’s so dumb. I’ll root for the team and recognize that they are not competing on a similar level with other teams because my priorities don’t match society in general; and they shouldn’t.

erikill

Jolly Good Fellow

That's the sad reality. Tech grads for the most part move out of state. Mutt alumni state put. That has to change. There's plenty of engineering jobs in Georgia.
It's a hard sell - my recruiting for work from Tech has been very difficult in recent years. While I'm a big-4 Strategy consultant, the likes of FAANG draws people out west. I think with COVID / remote working we may start to see more alum stay in state, but we're still graduating significantly less than one semester from the cesspool. Hopefully we see some of that FAANG money pour into GT sports. I think it would be neat to see technology and athletics together to get that sweet sweet NIL $$.

rain

Dodd-Like
I would be curious the poll on average GT student graduating this year on how many football games they went to while in school?

Admin only cares about us going up rankings in US News and World Report. What is this ESPN you speak of.
Except we’re not moving up in US News and World Report rankings either

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
UGAg spent over $9 million recruiting
Alabama spent over $7 million recruiting
Tennessee spent around $6 million recruiting
That is the top 3.
The take is money buys championships, unless you're Tennessee. The two top spending teams played.

ChrisW

Varsity Lurker
UGAg spent over $9 million recruiting
Alabama spent over $7 million recruiting
Tennessee spent around $6 million recruiting
That is the top 3.
The take is money buys championships, unless you're Tennessee. The two top spending teams played.
That's actually not that much money. That's about 10% of our budget. Only reason we can't afford that is we're locked into payments on facilities. Schools used to compete financially with facilities but it will be pivoting to NIL soon. I'm not sure if we have the flexibility or ingenuity to pivot our spending to NIL, but there's a brief window of opportunity where most schools have not figured out how to leverage NIL spending well to pull in recruits.

Chattanooga Jacket

Damn Good Rat
As soon as GT has a roster chock full of potential NFL draftees, then they just might sniff another NC game.

PointAfterTouchdown

Stealing the T

We aren’t even winning at that. The updated US News rankings were just released at the beginning of 2022 and we decreased from 29 to 38.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
No. I don’t feel like it. I’m not going to compromise the lifestyle of myself or family so that my alma master’s football team can be exceptional. I’m sick that people want to and do this all over the country instead of pouring money into charity work, research programs, or local causes. It’s so dumb. I’ll root for the team and recognize that they are not competing on a similar level with other teams because my priorities don’t match society in general; and they shouldn’t.
Honestly, I think I'm in the same boat as you. I love GT and GT football but I'm not sure I really want us to do what it takes to compete in this new world of college football.

I'm in a position where I could donate a decent amount to GTAA (I know, I know, CSB) but I can't see myself ever actually doing it. Call it lack of dedication, call it lack of loyalty, call it whatever you want, but the money spent on CFB is insane, even at the non-blue blood level. There are much better places to spend money than recruiting and coaching high schoolers to play football.

I know the above sounds like total sour grapes given what just happened, but it's the truth. I'll keep rooting for GT but my expectations are going to be low and I'm okay with that.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
So what is the solution? Do we have a come to Jesus meeting with the Hill and demand they stop turning a blind eye to football ? We need a Tech "town hall" and stress to the admin that we love our football and we want it better. I'm up for ideas, gents. I want Tech to be the best they can be in Football.
I think your ideas are very good. I don't think the solution exists within the athletic department.

tomknight

Varsity Lurker
sounds like maybe they aren't the ones with the problem

If you're happy with our football program, I'm happy for you.

Supporting the program the way it is now is like giving money to drug addicts you pass on the street. You become an enabler of a horrible, cruel destructive thing. If everybody who loves Tech quit giving money, the GTAA would call within a month and ask why. If everybody told them they weren't going to support the status quo, things would change. By continuing to give them money, we just encourage them to keep the diarrhea festival going. The GTAA has a problem with leadership and results. They need to get a new problem, and the new problem needs to be Tech fans refusing to go along with them on their insane joy ride to Hell.

tomknight

Varsity Lurker
Has something to do with the programs we have. I don't believe there are enough jobs in things like Aerospace, Electrical, BioMed, ChemE, and on and on to keep all of those kids here.

My daughter got a BME degree. She had to leave the state to get a good job, and some of her ChemE friends went to TX to work in oil.

I wish it weren't so, but there are not enough jobs for the types of grads that we produce to keep them all here.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
If you're happy with our football program, I'm happy for you.

Supporting the program the way it is now is like giving money to drug addicts you pass on the street. You become an enabler of a horrible, cruel destructive thing. If everybody who loves Tech quit giving money, the GTAA would call within a month and ask why. If everybody told them they weren't going to support the status quo, things would change. By continuing to give them money, we just encourage them to keep the diarrhea festival going. The GTAA has a problem with leadership and results. They need to get a new problem, and the new problem needs to be Tech fans refusing to go along with them on their insane joy ride to Hell.
Never said I'm happy. You said that the mutts were stronger because of the past three years, and I asked how did three years factor them getting in for 2017 season. You dodged it, because you're full of öööö.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
We either need to get better, or accept not being a player. You have to remember that UGA is in a weak division, they have that advantage. If we get better we could dominate the Coastal as much as they do and compete with them now and then.

Or....I think we would have to look at the Big Ten. We need money, we need fans, we'd get both.

Or....I think Jeff Monken could be our next coach and the style of football would fit us.