If we come away with anything from last night's results

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
Never said I'm happy. You said that the mutts wIere stronger because of the past three years, and I asked how did three years factor them getting in for 2017 season. You dodged it, because you're full of öööö.
We hired Collins. We went social media crazy. We made our home games unattractive to many fans. We sold out to a new culture designed to appeal to kids and ignore fans. Fans put up with this in the hope it would bring better results. But, the results were horrible. Being completely uncompetitive with Georgia and not just losing but getting annihilated by them and other big time opponents made us look really bad. Our best player and coach have abandoned ship. We have created a situation that makes us less attractive to players, their parents, assistant coaches and fans. If Georgia had three years as pathetic as our last three years, we would rightfully consider Georgia's collapse as a great recruiting and fan base expanding opportunity for us. It would also give us a chance to get better media coverage. I don't think many objective people would dispute that.

Georgia has been better than us for most of my whole adult life. But, it took three years of Stansbury and Collins for Georgia to win its first national championship since 1980. We might never be as good as they are, but we can win a few recruiting battles with them if we just move up in class to "well coached." When we improve, it hurts Georgia in many ways. When we get mired in three win seasons, it helps them in many ways.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
We hired Collins. We went social media crazy. We made our home games unattractive to many fans. We sold out to a new culture designed to appeal to kids and ignore fans. Fans put up with this in the hope it would bring better results. But, the results were horrible. Being completely uncompetitive with Georgia and not just losing but getting annihilated by them and other big time opponents made us look really bad. Our best player and coach have abandoned ship. We have created a situation that makes us less attractive to players, their parents, assistant coaches and fans. If Georgia had three years as pathetic as our last three years, we would rightfully consider Georgia's collapse as a great recruiting and fan base expanding opportunity for us. It would also give us a chance to get better media coverage. I don't think many objective people would dispute that.

Georgia has been better than us for most of my whole adult life. But, it took three years of Stansbury and Collins for Georgia to win its first national championship since 1980. We might never be as good as they are, but we can win a few recruiting battles with them if we just move up in class to "well coached." When we improve, it hurts Georgia in many ways. When we get mired in three win seasons, it helps them in many ways.
I hate to break it to you but the only reason they've only won once since 2012 is because of Alabama. It has nothing to do with who our coach is now. If there's anything in the slightest we did to cause this, you can thank us from 2008-2018 for steering in-state talent away. What a coincidence that all of their near misses, until finally last night, all happened in one recruiting window. Imagine how many more guys like Calvin Johnson were out there who flat out would not play for the option. Oh, wait. Maybe Collins did affect the game by recruiting Gibbs so he came here instead of Bama. You can have that one.

76tornados

Dodd-Like
I hate to break it to you but the only reason they've only won once since 2012 is because of Alabama. It has nothing to do with who our coach is now. If there's anything in the slightest we did to cause this, you can thank us from 2008-2018 for steering in-state talent away. What a coincidence that all of their near misses, until finally last night, all happened in one recruiting window. Imagine how many more guys like Calvin Johnson were out there who flat out would not play for the option. Oh, wait. Maybe Collins did affect the game by recruiting Gibbs so he came here instead of Bama. You can have that one.
Are you blaming CPJ and CGC at the same time?

gambler

Went all in with 80k
Tell me more about your billionaire cocaine real estate cowboy who wants to build a new Bobby Dodd while mysteriously holding much of the real estate around it like they have at Miami.
Well I just started selling last week but I put a bid in for an 800 sq ft space on 14th ave yesterday. Buy my product and I can buy more property.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

Seems like you haven't paid attention to the last 20 years if you think these issues started with Collins and Stansbury. Maybe a better coach loses to them by 30 instead of 50 this past year, but they don't need us to be bad when they are recruiting on par with or better than Alabama. Shoot, recruiting is the one thing Collins has done well and we are at least getting a few guys on uga's radar now. This isn't coaching. This is $ and resources. And your grand idea is we should withhold those things even more until there is a coaching change.

Last edited:

mookie43

Helluva Engineer
Here is the problem. The number of big donors is dwindling. As those folks age out and they or their families don’t continue giving, they aren’t being replaced by younger folks with money willing to contribute. The situation is going to get worse, not better, over the next decade unless significant changes are made to the GTAA and AT fund process. We have to develop better relationships with our younger well off grads and actively recruit them rather than waiting on them to come to us.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC
Here is the problem. The number of big donors is dwindling. As those folks age out and they or their families don’t continue giving, they aren’t being replaced by younger folks with money willing to contribute. The situation is going to get worse, not better, over the next decade unless significant changes are made to the GTAA and AT fund process. We have to develop better relationships with our younger well off grads and actively recruit them rather than waiting on them to come to us.
Or….. GT the school recognizes that sports, and especially the football program, are the face of the institution to the general public, and they value the school traditions associated with them, and start supporting it financially.

GT does not have a money problem - our financial situation is excellent. Our school’s athletic program has a money problem. We have the resources already, and there is consistent data to support the fact that we would only get better academically with a strong football program.

GT98

Dodd-Like
GT does not have a money problem - our financial situation is excellent. Our school’s athletic program has a money problem. We have the resources already, and there is consistent data to support the fact that we would only get better academically with a strong football program.
From your lips to a GT prez/admin's ears at some point. It's a shame that no one there seems to understand that or even care.

F

flushed 01

It's probably a low percentage, sadly.

That's the sad reality. Tech grads for the most part move out of state. Mutt alumni state put. That has to change. There's plenty of engineering jobs in Georgia.
How many top notch players graduate, silly argument

IM79

Flats Noob
"If we come away with anything"

Here's what I came away with: a question of how does UGA land a mechanical engineering major like Nakobe Dean? When they said his major was ME I had a stroke. The world is upside down when there are superstar athletes majoring in ME. And they are going to UGA to major in ME.

Is it all just about the bag men?

F

flushed 01

Actually, they have better since about 1970. It is now not just better, it is a whole, whole lot better

JudgeJudy

Really Lurks @ The Varsity
In the age of NIL, unless rules change, there will be an even larger separation between the top schools and the bottom. Regardless of who is the AD of any school, it all comes down to big dollar donors who will set up LLC's to pay players or their companies pay players. If the schools don't organize the donors, they will get left behind and as the gap grows between the haves and have nots the ratings will drop for the bottom tier schools/conferences and money from networks will go down. It is all about the dollars and I don't think it matters who the AD is UNLESS the big dollars don't like them. It is like the Wild West right now and it could be scary for teams that don't get on the ball quickly on organizing donors/companies/etc on the current NIL situation. If a smaller school gets a recruit who turns out to be a diamond, kiss them goodbye in the portal if another school can pony up the NIL money to lure away. It's a complete money $heetshow right now. Recruiting is now more about the NIL cash than the coach, except a big name coach can get more donors to pony up the cash.

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader

Here's what I came away with: a question of how does UGA land a mechanical engineering major like Nakobe Dean? When they said his major was ME I had a stroke. The world is upside down when there are superstar athletes majoring in ME. And they are going to UGA to major in ME.

Because although he is smart (at least smart enough to care about majoring ME and actually following through with it), he is rationally thinking about the NFL and his higher than average chance of playing in it. Football is his primary focus and given his situation I cannot say that's unreasonable. With offering a better football program, that is exactly the kind of player we could get though.

GTRules

You’re Mamma

Dean’s goal is to make $17.50/hr working at a kaolin mine in central Georgia. Hard to convince a guy like that to get a real engineering degree.

Dcgt4542

Varsity Lurker
All the opinions and comments about desiring and needing big donors is and has been an age old topic. Even before NIL and portal. My observation is that you must have passion and money. I have followed two programs closely for about 16 years. One of the big donors at one of the programs has money and passion. It shows. He spends on the passion. Same school there is a well known money grad capable of changing the program but he only likes football. Not passionate though. They must have both in order to truly move the needle.

I have long felt that the lack of passion for football is hard if not impossible to overcome. One of the posters in this thread mentioned a need to nurture the next generation of donor. Does this mean foster the passion? They have the money but they are not seething that the mutts have a natty again. I don’t know? I am just opining here that either you have the passion or you do not. You grew up loving and or playing the game. It was important. It was family it was tradition. It was woven into your primary recreation and hobby. Can this happen to someone when they are 40 or 50 or older because GT football needs the big money? I don’t think so. Hope I am wrong though and the big money starts to flow.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Fact is, the dwags have outspent our 1/6 millionaires by a considerable margin.

That's really the story in it's entirety. They want it more than we do and they put their money where there mouth is and all we do is talk.

And all you morons that want GT back in the SEC? You can't afford it so stay in the ACC where you belong.

StraightFresh

Midtown Zoomer
This is a great point. I'm a mid-20's GT grad, I'm not exactly the founder of a $10 B market cap NASDAQ company but I make good money and am good with money, and I could easily find a few grand per year to hand over to GT every year...if I had any confidence that they meant business. I'm not alone. We're not total retards like the Texas A&M oil boomers, but we exist and we're waiting for some sign of leadership from GTAA. I don't even care if it's football. Show me some sign of life that you intend to change the game in basketball or even baseball and I'm in. But I'm not donating for warm bodies to cash in paychecks, sorry.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC

The same reason that both UGA and Bama this year used space travel / research the cornerstones of their school commercials that are run during every football game.

GT just doesn’t get it. Football is meaningful in helping to sell your school.

Whether it’s the engineering background of so many decision makers, or something else, GT can’t seem to see the forest from the trees.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Is that we as fans need to stop complaining and start pouring into our football program. If we want to have a seat at the table, we need to put up or shut up. I will do my part but as my favorite leadership guru John C. Maxwell says "teamwork makes the dream work."

It's time we get all in Tech football.
We need a football coach first... Then we pour money into the program.... We had one hell of a coach in Paul Johnson, but no one liked him, so no money... Now we have the second coming of Bill Lewis... My only hope is based on history after Bill we hired George O'leary....Hopefully after Collins is shown the door we find the second coming of GOL.