Impact on Recruiting

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
We will never beat Clemson for a recruit. I have 2 degrees from GT and I would never go to GT to play football if I had a Clemson offer. If my son played football and had a Clemson offer, I would never tell him to go to GT. Harvard, maybe. GT, absolutely not. Anyone who thinks recruiting is all about a coach's personality needs to wake up.
Wow. That says quite a bit about you.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
And Paul Johnson beat him with Chan's players. He only started being a good coach when he quit actually coaching. Which is fine for a place like Clemson. We aren't Clemson.

=
Kids go to Clemson because they have hundreds of millions of dollars sunk into player specific facilities. Even if they aren't getting paid (which they may be) they live like NFL players for four years while they're in "school."

We will never beat Clemson for a recruit. I have 2 degrees from GT and I would never go to GT to play football if I had a Clemson offer. If my son played football and had a Clemson offer, I would never tell him to go to GT. Harvard, maybe. GT, absolutely not. Anyone who thinks recruiting is all about a coach's personality needs to wake up.
This is reasonable if your son has a good chance at an NFL career. Otherwise, he would be better off with a Tech degree. Soon we will be the best option across the board.

beej67

new around here
not because Clemson has nicer facilities than Bama because they don't.
Clemson broke ground last year on a 55 million dollar football complex that only exists for 80 student athletes.

beej67

new around here
Wow. That says quite a bit about you.
I've felt that way for years. Why in the world would you tell your son to go to GT to play football?

If I felt he needed discipline, I might have sent him to play under CPJ specifically for his disciplinarian approach. Certainly not the new guy. If I was going to provide him the best college experience, obviously Clemson. If I wanted him to network with rich people I'd find a way to sneak him an under the table scholarship to Harvard or Yale.

GT fans don't seem to understand that college football is tremendously inherently unfair.

This is reasonable if your son has a good chance at an NFL career. Otherwise, he would be better off with a Tech degree. Soon we will be the best option across the board.
Stanford degree is worth more and it's an easier school with more women. An Ivy League degree is worth more than both and you don't have to work at all. The value in a degree is not in what you learn, it's in networking, for nearly every possible degree available. Even if he wanted to be an engineer, Clemson or Auburn is probably a better route because nobody cares where you went to school after your first job, and Clemson/Auburn have decent programs, and alumni willing to give you that first job.

Anybody who doesn't understand this is blinded by school loyalty. GT recruiting not only sucks, it's always sucked and always will suck until the school goes private, adds majors, and ups the ratio to 50:50. And spends a hundred million dollars on a Club Med for Football to compete with Clemson.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
If GT had Dabo's assistants and Dabo's budget then Geoff Collins would look like twice the genius Dabo is.
I think it’s more of a “if we could afford the same players” situation over there. I’ve posted this before, but the Clemson BBall assistant that was caught by the FBI trying to buy Zion alluded to the football team having figured out how to do it first.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/04/25/clemson-athletics-under-microscope-after-fbi-wiretap-revelation/

During the discussion about paying Williamson, Smith referenced similar “pay-to-play” arrangements involving Clemson’s football program – which has appeared in the College Football Playoff (CFP) four years in a row and captured national titles in 2016 and 2018.

“That’s why football is so successful, is if you do it and use resources at Clemson, like you can really keep everything tight,” he said. “It’s a small college town … you can come to a game one night, after the game you see a dude out there in a nice looking suit, you like, ‘wait a minute now.’”
They are a podunk town that’s not a recruiting hotbed and went from missing bowl games to turning away 5* DEs who were trying to commit in a matter of a decade.

MidnightJacket

Damn Good Rat
Anybody who doesn't understand this is blinded by school loyalty. GT recruiting not only sucks, it's always sucked and always will suck until the school goes private, adds majors, and ups the ratio to 50:50. And spends a hundred million dollars on a Club Med for Football to compete with Clemson.
Just so you’re consistent and don’t move the goal posts a few years down the road if we happen to land better classes, define “sucks” versus “good” in regards to recruiting for GT. Ie, GT can’t recruit top X classes at all? GT can’t consistently recruit top Y classes?

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Clemson broke ground last year on a 55 million dollar football complex that only exists for 80 student athletes.

Did I say Clemson didn't have nice stuff? Did I say they don't have nicer stuff than GT? Answer what I wrote, if you wish.

They stole a recruit from Bama and he specifically said it was because he felt more comfortable with the Clemson staff and culture; one of those great WRs.

cbee

Flats Noob
Quoted for posterity. Seems like something that could be facilitated at a StingTalk tailgate.
As stated before, I’m an old codger. First Tech game as a mere lad in 1966. Chances are I’ll be long gone before GC leads GT to an Orange Bowl Victory.

MarcoColemanFan

Varsity Lurker
Be interesting to see if yesterday's debacle has a negative impact on recruiting. The poor coaching decisions and this ATL system probably will not bode well for our recruiting efforts. Maybe coach knows this and that is why he has more commitments than scholarships. Either way, anticipate a hit to our recruiting with yesterday's poor showing with more to come.
I doubt it.

sthorfinnr

We The Vanguard Stockholders
Even if he wanted to be an engineer, Clemson or Auburn is probably a better route because nobody cares where you went to school after your first job, and Clemson/Auburn have decent programs, and alumni willing to give you that first job.
I grudgingly grant you everything in your rant except the above. This is just not true. I don't know about the value of the degree, but I know about the quality of the person who gets the degree. The Tech grads I work with are upper management. The Auburn guy has failed the PE exam multiple times. Yes, individual graduates from Clemson and Auburn can be sharp people, but Billy Madisons don't make it through Tech like they do there. And employers know this.

Last edited:

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I've felt that way for years. Why in the world would you tell your son to go to GT to play football?

If I felt he needed discipline, I might have sent him to play under CPJ specifically for his disciplinarian approach. Certainly not the new guy. If I was going to provide him the best college experience, obviously Clemson. If I wanted him to network with rich people I'd find a way to sneak him an under the table scholarship to Harvard or Yale.

GT fans don't seem to understand that college football is tremendously inherently unfair.

Stanford degree is worth more and it's an easier school with more women. An Ivy League degree is worth more than both and you don't have to work at all. The value in a degree is not in what you learn, it's in networking, for nearly every possible degree available. Even if he wanted to be an engineer, Clemson or Auburn is probably a better route because nobody cares where you went to school after your first job, and Clemson/Auburn have decent programs, and alumni willing to give you that first job.

You have officially lost it. Don't post anymore.

H-town

Helluva Engineer

I guess I can add you to my list of people who hate Tech football.

beej67

new around here
Just so you’re consistent and don’t move the goal posts a few years down the road if we happen to land better classes, define “sucks” versus “good” in regards to recruiting for GT. Ie, GT can’t recruit top X classes at all? GT can’t consistently recruit top Y classes?
Recruiting is a crap shoot, it's random, and when you roll dice you're bound to roll well every now and then. I would be very confident saying GT will never get 2 consecutive top 15 classes, nor get 3 consecutive top 20s, nor get 4 consecutive top 30s. Ever. And I doubt we ever have.

So that's that. If our coaches are just doing what everybody else does, and the results on the field are a result of Jimmies and Joes, the ceiling for our program is an occasional appearance in the Top 25 two or three times a decade when the ball bounces our way.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Recruiting is a crap shoot, it's random, and when you roll dice you're bound to roll well every now and then. I would be very confident saying GT will never get 2 consecutive top 15 classes, nor get 3 consecutive top 20s, nor get 4 consecutive top 30s. Ever. And I doubt we ever have.

So that's that. If our coaches are just doing what everybody else does, and the results on the field are a result of Jimmies and Joes, the ceiling for our program is an occasional appearance in the Top 25 two or three times a decade when the ball bounces our way.

beej67

new around here
I guess I can add you to my list of people who hate Tech football.
How do you figure?

The only way we will ever beat Clemson's current incarnation (and similar) is to outsmart them, not to out recruit them. This has always been the case. That's why the coach of the year award is named after Dodd. The fact that I realize this, and you folks apparently don't, is proof positive you don't know anything about GT football history. If you want to line up and beat Clemson by having better players than Clemson you have to change GT itself.

Nobody else here remembers the O'Leary quote about being MIT on weekdays and Notre Dame on Saturdays? How long have you been fans anyway?

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
I don't like Clemson. But that doesn't change the fact that Clemson is playing an entirely different game than we are, and we won't be able to play their game unless we change the entire school, not just the coach.
Everyone knows the money and majors differences already. You’re just stating the obvious and ööööting on GT for no reason.

Just stop

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
I’m afraid the main conclusion from this loss (to a winless FCS team) is that the coaching staff, and especially Coach Collins, are not yet up to this job. He/they may grow into it, but not getting a team ready to play a scheme we ran for 11 years is inexcusable. Having a bad week of practice when you haven’t played 5 minutes of good football yet is inexcusable. I drank the Kool Aid from day one about Coach Collins and all the social media hype.Now he has to turn it down, get to basics and try to build credibility. I’m not optimistic. The sales pitch was the hype would lead to better talent, but who’s hyped to come hear now, they have no idea how to use Tobias Oliver, and what if we win 0-1 more from here on?