In-State Recruiting analysis

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

First of all, we can't spend time, money and resources on fishing expeditions to Michigan, TX, CA, etc. when the odds of getting a commitment are against us and when we sometimes don't find out until close to signing day that a kid can't qualify academically;

Secondly, why leave a big pond full of big fish to fish in a pond where you are a fish out of water? We have a gold mine right here, right now - too many kids are getting away. And I don't mean the knuckle-draggers that flock to Uga who wouldn't make it past orientation at Tech - there are a lot of kids who could make it here who just choose not to short-list us.

Clemson has Six-Flags Over Andersonville, Bama has Niagara Falls in the locker room, UGa offers a curriculum less demanding than a McDonald's job application - those schools sell themselves. We need to do a better job selling Tech.

The US Marines are up front - they don't want everybody - they say as much - don't sign up unless you are ready to man-up. It works for them. They get good recruits. I just don't think we are getting the message out.
Bud Carson recruited well regionally and nationally. Still got fired, because he didn't win enough games.

I think lazy is not really the best description. More like arrogant and stubborn. He seems to really believe he can win no matter who is in his system as is evidenced by his comments that recruiting rankings don't matter. I think he also honestly believes Tech hasn't been recruiting these players because of the uniforms and the outdated facilities. My biggest beef with CPJ is that in 10 years he seems to have made no headway in the state with regards to building relationships with high school programs that we can mine for recruiting. That is a huge failure along with the inability to acknowledge that our offense holds us back just as much as offering calculus.
good lord. none of this is true.

This is just pathetic. I don't understand how it got so bad. The supply of in-state has increased yet we are still regressing. This really needs to change by whatever means necessary.
This is not a recent phenomenon, been similar for decades. Only now, the talent pie is cut more ways. Forty years ago there was no USF, Troy, UCF, fourteen directional schools in LSU, Kennesaw, Mercer, UAB, etc. etc. etc. Forty years ago a kid couldn't change the entire wealth of his family history by getting drafted. In some cases, I guess, a kid can get more money by signing with Ole Miss than his parents made in ten years. The public education in Metro Atlanta, and throughout the state eliminates a big segment of the player pool from Georgia Tech. In the subset of potential qualifiers, how many want to be engineers in the inner city? Some Nation Merit Scholars want to be doctors or lawyers, or go to Mississippi State. If your four star son was 6-5, 305, the prototypical pass protecting offensive tackle, Georgia Tech wouldn't be in his top 25 schools to consider. You'd be a poor parent to even suggest it.

you're an idiot if you believe we don't have a better football brand than duke and northwestern. only ND and Miami are clearly better than us and better destinations for recruits. They're also better destinations than a whole heap of schools besides GT.

Stanford has already been addressed.

Duke has whooped our asses 3 of the last 4 years. We've had 2 of 3 losing seasons and missed bowl games. NW is an unknown but, playing in the B!G makes them at least as-attractive as us, playing in the ACC. Both are academically solid so that's a wash too.

We are NOT better than 'most' of these schools. You are living in the past.

We've beaten UGA 2 out of the last 4 years. So are we as good a football program as they are?

fwiw, we are not as far ahead of duke and wf as we once were or as we should be. That is troubling. When I chatted with Stansbury after the UGA game I told him, "I can handle losing to UGA because they're basically playing a different game than we are right now. But we can't lose to Duke like we have been."

I agree - I think everyone agrees. The only glimmer that I can cling to is that TS seems to understand this and is actually making material, substantive steps to address it whereas Braineless, dRad and that idiot from the basketball school had no damn clue.
So, heretofore, it was a failure of the AD, not the coaching/recruiting staff? What shall we do with Stansbury when we win 8 games in the next two years?
I agree that Stansbury (a) has the courage to say what the problem is out loud, and (b) has generated a plan of attack to address the problem. But our recruiting issues aren't solvable by adding a couple of analysts, and buying a few more plane tickets. The problem is decades old and institutional. The vast majority of kids (and their parents) do not envision Georgia Tech as a fun place or a place where football excellence resides. Most of us have a love for Georgia Tech, but few others do.

you're an idiot if you believe we don't have a better football brand than duke and northwestern. only ND and Miami are clearly better than us and better destinations for recruits. They're also better destinations than a whole heap of schools besides GT.

Stanford has already been addressed.
As of today, Duke and Northwestern have better football brands than we do. I know you want to use the last 30 years, but you can't. The public is viewing this as the last four or five years. Both Duke and Northwestern can play the academics card, but their coaches are plusses and ours (scheme) is a minus. Duke has athletic success outside of football. Northwestern is in Chicago and plays in the Big Ten. Both Duke and Northwestern have curricula that can hide athletes and keep them eligible. We do not. After 35 years of suck, Duke and Cutcliffe have passed us. Thank God we don't play Northwestern.

We've beaten UGA 2 out of the last 4 years. So are we as good a football program as they are?

fwiw, we are not as far ahead of duke and wf as we once were or as we should be. That is troubling. When I chatted with Stansbury after the UGA game I told him, "I can handle losing to UGA because they're basically playing a different game than we are right now. But we can't lose to Duke like we have been."

uga addressed their shortcoming - we didn't.

As of today, Duke and Northwestern have better football brands than we do.
I simply disagree with your premise. The recruiting rankings from the last 4 years do not bear it out. Average rankings are basically the same even with Duke pulling an outlier #33 class in 2016. GT - 51.25 Duke - 48.25 NW - 54.

Last edited:
Duke has a better football brand than we do over the last 4-5 years? That's the most hilarious kind of nonsense. What have they done that tops an Orange Bowl win? Does anybody think that their bowl wins over Indiana and Northern Illinois are better for their "brand" than that was for ours? Come on, man. While they certainly have obtained impressive results for what they have, you have to ignore basically everything football related to be under any illusion that what they have is more than what we have. Absolutely nobody who isn't already a Duke fan cares that they turned 6-6 (3-5) into 7 wins at the hands of a MAC also-ran, and the people who are celebrating it as part of their ascendancy are just highlighting what the Duke football "brand" is. It's a historic legacy of uncompetitiveness, marginality, and failure among the worst in the nation that still bother themselves with the pursuit of the sport. They haven't come close to undoing that image, not remotely. The zenith of their football program in living memory is a 9 win season where they didn't play for their conference and lost their bowl game, and everyone knows it.

While we certainly haven't helped ourselves by sitting at home twice in the last four years, it ain't that bad.

I simply disagree with your premise. The recruiting rankings from the last 4 years do not bear it out. Average rankings are basically the same even with Duke pulling an outlier #33 class in 2016. GT - 51.25 Duke - 48.25 NW - 54.
Still America, you have the right to be wrong. Go to the Walmart in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Grab a fifteen year old kid and axe him who is a better football program, Tech, Northwestern, or Duke. Then you'll see the general opinion of our brand.

Duke has a better football brand than we do over the last 4-5 years? That's the most hilarious kind of nonsense. What have they done that tops an Orange Bowl win? Does anybody think that their bowl wins over Indiana and Northern Illinois are better for their "brand" than that was for ours? Come on, man. While they certainly have obtained impressive results for what they have, you have to ignore basically everything football related to be under any illusion that what they have is more than what we have. Absolutely nobody who isn't already a Duke fan cares that they turned 6-6 (3-5) into 7 wins at the hands of a MAC also-ran, and the people who are celebrating it as part of their ascendancy are just highlighting what the Duke football "brand" is. It's a historic legacy of uncompetitiveness, marginality, and failure among the worst in the nation that still bother themselves with the pursuit of the sport. They haven't come close to undoing that image, not remotely. The zenith of their football program in living memory is a 9 win season where they didn't play for their conference and lost their bowl game, and everyone knows it.

While we certainly haven't helped ourselves by sitting at home twice in the last four years, it ain't that bad.

It ain't that bad for YOU. You have stated facts accurately, but I would submit that the fact that we are debating who is better, GEORGIA TECH or Duke, says it all. We would never had this discussion even when Bill Lewis ran the program. Even when Spurrier was at Duke, no one really believed they had overtaken us as a program. Everyone understood we were superior to Duke. Now it is not a certainty. And, ironically we benefit in recent years that Roof was their Bill Lewis. When we lose to them this fall, it will become clearer to you.

It ain't that bad for YOU. You have stated facts accurately, but I would submit that the fact that we are debating who is better, GEORGIA TECH or Duke, says it all. We would never had this discussion even when Bill Lewis ran the program. Even when Spurrier was at Duke, no one really believed they had overtaken us as a program. Everyone understood we were superior to Duke. Now it is not a certainty. And, ironically we benefit in recent years that Roof was their Bill Lewis. When we lose to them this fall, it will become clearer to you.

The only ones that classify Duke and Tech as similar programs right now are you dipshits. It’s not a debate for anyone else.

Define program.

Oh look, someone did a study on this and it ran in the Wall Street Journal.

https://graphics.wsj.com/table/COUNT_09212017

Oh, here's one someone did with recruits.

http://picksixpreviews.com/how_to_win_in_recruiting.html

I don't see Tech behind either Duke or Northwestern.

WXj9dW8.gif

wow, so their recruiting ranking is better AND they've won 3 of the last 4, having 20+ pt leads in all 3 victories.

Yeah, better focus on the "brand". We're behind 'em in 2 stats that matter.

Back