Is 6 wins enough?

Saw this thread and thought that I really drank too much last night, blacked out and woke up in week 10.

Mother of God, can't the hatters at least wait until after a 6 win season becomes a probability before öööö posting stuff like this in here again.

After the long offseason, the first game is Saturday, be a ööööing fan and get hyped for the game.

SBNation's job is to generate clickbait, we don't have to be the cucks clicking it or bringing it here. I thought that everyone here is an alpha and has read The Game. Maybe GT Sportstalk would appreciate another anti-CPJ thread, as they seem to be needing some fresh blood over there as Bob Benson/DavidLFeuer has quit trolling them.

*heads to liquor store*

My solution is simple: Switch divisions. Just up and move your team over to the other division overnight, like the way the Colts left Baltimore, then refuse to budge. The reason is at this link which I haven't seen discussed here. Georgia Tech under Johnson is 32-33 against "frequent" conference opponents—that is, divisional opponents plus Clemson—and 14-1 against "infrequent" (other division minus Clemson) opponents. 14-1. Why are you hanging out in the Coastal?

Now, admittedly, the writer of that blog is making a different case. He's saying it's not about division, but familiarity. He believes that teams who play the triple option every year get better at defending it. I was doubtful, but had to admit I did a double-take when I saw the 3-0 vs. FSU stat (I assume these are only regular season, if they're correct, because GT also has a loss against WF in the championship game). The FSU stat alone tends to suggest the writer is onto something, but I still think 1) it's not a huge sample size, though enough to be suggestive, and 2) the Coastal is far and away a tougher division, and enough to skew these figures. 3-0 vs FSU but 6-4 vs UVA tends to support the writer's thesis. I think he's onto something, but it's a combination of familiarity vs. division toughness.

My answer to the original question is no, 6 wins is not enough this year. Absolute minimum is 7.

Saw this thread and thought that I really drank too much last night, blacked out and woke up in week 10.

Mother of God, can't the hatters at least wait until after a 6 win season becomes a probability before öööö posting stuff like this in here again.

After the long offseason, the first game is Saturday, be a ööööing fan and get hyped for the game.

SBNation's job is to generate clickbait, we don't have to be the cucks clicking it or bringing it here. I thought that everyone here is an alpha and has read The Game. Maybe GT Sportstalk would appreciate another anti-CPJ thread, as they seem to be needing some fresh blood over there as Bob Benson/DavidLFeuer has quit trolling them.

*heads to liquor store*

I tend to agree with this outlook. We're undefeated at present. And we're # 25 in Lindy's for godssakes.

Last edited:

We were a hair away from 8-3 with losses to two playoff teams. We beat VT. Miami needed a legit miracle on a 4th and long double-tip drill completion in the waiting seconds to beat us on their home field.

If we replayed the 2017 season with the same rosters Miami/VT/GT would be about even to win the Coastal.

Hell just flip the Miami and UVA games - two games that we led by double digits and with less than 90s to play, we finish 6-2 and win the Coastal. It’s not that outlandish of a statement.

We were a hair away from 8-3 with losses to two playoff teams. We beat VT. Miami needed a legit miracle on a 4th and long double-tip drill completion in the waiting seconds to beat us on their home field.

If we replayed the 2017 season with the same rosters Miami/VT/GT would be about even to win the Coastal.

Hell just flip the Miami and UVA games - two games that we led by double digits and with less than 90s to play, we finish 6-2 and win the Coastal. It’s not that outlandish of a statement.
That’s really the sad and depressing part about last year. Outside of one game where we were clutch (VPI), we failed down the stretch every time. I don’t know why last year was so anti-clutch for us but hopefully we got rid of all that bad juju. This team has more potential than last year. Here’s hoping we start having the ball bounce our way in close games again.

In year 11 you need to win more than 6 games. 6 wins I will be disgruntled. 6 wins is another losing season. CPJ keeps saying the league is a lot better than when he got here. I agree, but he should have gotten better also, and it doesn't appear he has. Anything worse than 9 wins with a bowl is meh.

upload_2018-8-29_15-55-20.png

and yet, good teams don't lose those games. if it happened once, even twice, ok. but it happened over and over, which tells me we weren't very good.

Threads like this show that ST is not really that divided on CPJ. (Some guys are just moaners. [joke incoming]) CPJ is going to be on everyone's hot seat if we have another losing season this year. Frankly, depending on the nature of the losses and to whom, I'd be pretty dissatisfied with 8-4. By this point in time, we should be winning the Coastal every two or three years. Four straight years outside contention – three of them, by hypothesis, far outside contention – doesn't get it done for me.

The only caveat to this would be if we soul-crush UGA. A stirring victory over UGA lifts all spirits, regardless of what transpired before that.
Why "should" we be winning the Coastal every 2 or 3 years? If the other teams were wearing the same ankle weights we are, I'd agree, otherwise there's no rational "should".

and yet, good teams don't lose those games. if it happened once, even twice, ok. but it happened over and over, which tells me we weren't very good.

That’s fair. Maybe a better statement would have been that the separation between Miami/VT/GT last year was close enough that winning the division this year would not surprise me at all.

I wonder if um, ugag, cu, or even vt think that getting to a bowl game is some sort of accomplishment?

The only teams thinking that way are the ones that have never been to a major bowl, or at least not one in the last 20 - 30 years

It is really pitiful we have some folks thinking this way. Getting to just any bowl game anymore is no sign of accomplishment.

Jeez, I wonder if any ugag, um, or cu players are thinking,"I hope we get to a bowl game."

Ridiculous for any GT fan to be setting this as some sort of goal.

We need to win at the very least 8 (With one of those against 1 of the 4 quality opponents we play)

And if we get waxed by ugag again there should be pranksters having moving vans arrive at CPJ house.

I wonder if um, ugag, cu, or even vt think that getting to a bowl game is some sort of accomplishment?

The only teams thinking that way are the ones that have never been to a major bowl, or at least not one in the last 20 - 30 years

It is really pitiful we have some folks thinking this way. Getting to just any bowl game anymore is no sign of accomplishment.

Jeez, I wonder if any ugag, um, or cu players are thinking,"I hope we get to a bowl game."

We need to win at the very least 8 (With one of those against 1 of the 4 quality opponents we play)

And if we get waxed by ugag again there should be pranksters having moving vans arrive at CPJ house.

Erm. Have you read the replies to this thread? I think a grand total of one person said they were okay with 6-6.

go post at dwagvent, you CPJ hater. /s

Waxed by ugag again!? CPJ vs CMR and CKS is like giving one fighter an uzzi and the other a dull knife. The guy with the dull knife won the fight 3 of the last 5 times he went to the house of the uzzi guys---and yet ur suggesting moving vans!? Sheesh! Yeah, last year was ugly vs the mutts, but the previous several years were much closer than a dull knife had any right to be. Btw, my pick is we will win 8 (with reasonable health)---dull knife and all.
Tech fans---damn, there's nothing like em on Earth.

If we win 10-12, we rename GT the Johnson Institute of Technology, 7-9 we celebrate like it is 1990 and say “we’re back”, 4-6 we say injuries killed us and we will be good next year, 0-3 Johnson is on the hot seat, but still here. I think we will be 7-5 and I will consider it a very successful season.

Who gives a öööö what they think?

I'll be reasonably happy with 8 wins, stoked to win more. 7 is barely acceptable. If there are only 6 wins, the season is not good at all, but not enough for a coaching change. If there are less than 6, I'm not sure I would call for a coaching change, but would prob accept it if it were to happen.

None of this ööööing matters cause we winning at least 9.

Why "should" we be winning the Coastal every 2 or 3 years? If the other teams were wearing the same ankle weights we are, I'd agree, otherwise there's no rational "should".
We should be winning it every 2-3 years because we are winning every 2-3 years – even considering the past 3 down years. In 7 years from 2008-2014, we went to the ACCCG 3 times. That's 3/7 years. VT went there 3 times also, and Duke went 1. Then from 2015-2017, it was UNC, VT and Miami. So in CPJ's 10 years, even with the 2015-2017 decline, we're still appearing in 30% of all ACCCG's. That's a smidge under every three years. And I think we can get back to where we were.

People say academic restrictions are responsible for our failures... I always wonder how to explain the failures of all those schools that don't have our academic restrictions...? Or, to make this a logic puzzle, what are we doing so extraordinarily well at, that it overcomes our academic ankle weights? Fan attendance? Administration support? Coaching? Message boards?

Back