Is 6 wins enough?

My solution is simple: Switch divisions. Just up and move your team over to the other division overnight, like the way the Colts left Baltimore, then refuse to budge. The reason is at this link which I haven't seen discussed here. Georgia Tech under Johnson is 32-33 against "frequent" conference opponents—that is, divisional opponents plus Clemson—and 14-1 against "infrequent" (other division minus Clemson) opponents. 14-1. Why are you hanging out in the Coastal?

Now, admittedly, the writer of that blog is making a different case. He's saying it's not about division, but familiarity. He believes that teams who play the triple option every year get better at defending it. I was doubtful, but had to admit I did a double-take when I saw the 3-0 vs. FSU stat (I assume these are only regular season, if they're correct, because GT also has a loss against WF in the championship game). The FSU stat alone tends to suggest the writer is onto something, but I still think 1) it's not a huge sample size, though enough to be suggestive, and 2) the Coastal is far and away a tougher division, and enough to skew these figures. 3-0 vs FSU but 6-4 vs UVA tends to support the writer's thesis. I think he's onto something, but it's a combination of familiarity vs. division toughness.

Good idea dude but we can’t all be in the SEC East.

How do people big cry op when he literally just posted article quotes .:bigcry:

STANFORD OF THE SOUTH :bfd:

How I know these asshats know nothing about what they're talking about.

Anything less than 8 regular season wins this year is a complete fail. This is the weakest non-conference slate we've had in some time.

Nothing less than Ws over Alcorn State, Bowling Green, USF, Duke, Virginia, Pitt, UNC, and *at least* 1 of UL/Clemson/VPI/UGA/Miami.

Last edited:
In year 11 you need to win more than 6 games. 6 wins I will be disgruntled. 6 wins is another losing season. CPJ keeps saying the league is a lot better than when he got here. I agree, but he should have gotten better also, and it doesn't appear he has. Anything worse than 9 wins with a bowl is meh.

upload_2018-8-29_15-55-20.png

Please tell me how many wins coaches who have been at a schoool more than 5, 6, 7, 8 years should have?

We should be winning it every 2-3 years because we are winning every 2-3 years – even considering the past 3 down years. In 7 years from 2008-2014, we went to the ACCCG 3 times. That's 3/7 years. VT went there 3 times also, and Duke went 1. Then from 2015-2017, it was UNC, VT and Miami. So in CPJ's 10 years, even with the 2015-2017 decline, we're still appearing in 30% of all ACCCG's. That's a smidge under every three years. And I think we can get back to where we were.

People say academic restrictions are responsible for our failures... I always wonder how to explain the failures of all those schools that don't have our academic restrictions...? Or, to make this a logic puzzle, what are we doing so extraordinarily well at, that it overcomes our academic ankle weights? Fan attendance? Administration support? Coaching? Message boards?
Teams that don't have our restrictions that fail, are usually due to coaching in the short term and both coaching and financial resources in the longer term (also located in a suck egg place). Over the last quarter of a century or so, with a couple of notable exceptions (which failed btw), we have been able to somewhat overcome our built in handicaps via good coaching (3/10 vs ugag is evidence of this, without which would be at best 1/10).

I wonder if um, ugag, cu, or even vt think that getting to a bowl game is some sort of accomplishment?

The only teams thinking that way are the ones that have never been to a major bowl, or at least not one in the last 20 - 30 years

It is really pitiful we have some folks thinking this way. Getting to just any bowl game anymore is no sign of accomplishment.

Jeez, I wonder if any ugag, um, or cu players are thinking,"I hope we get to a bowl game."

Ridiculous for any GT fan to be setting this as some sort of goal.

We need to win at the very least 8 (With one of those against 1 of the 4 quality opponents we play)

And if we get waxed by ugag again there should be pranksters having moving vans arrive at CPJ house.
This is a great post, the day we accept 6-6 is the day i no longer buy tickets

If we win 10-12, we rename GT the Johnson Institute of Technology, 7-9 we celebrate like it is 1990 and say “we’re back”, 4-6 we say injuries killed us and we will be good next year, 0-3 Johnson is on the hot seat, but still here. I think we will be 7-5 and I will consider it a very successful season.

Wrong.

Some tax payer funded credit card stealing HillNerd would rename it for Peterson.

Don’t call me Erm, please.

And, in fact as you admit, it was said.

Yes, by one person who literally has a "big cry" as his avatar. All I'm saying is you're creating a straw man when you say that just because some of us recognize challenges that go far beyond who the head coach is that we are somehow okay with mediocrity. Stansbury is addressing a lot of issues and it's time to start winning, bottom line.

What a sad, pathetic take!!! CPJ has ruined your standards!
No CPJ hasn't ruined my standards. In fact, I'm not a big fan of his recruiting and get accused all the time of being a CPJ hater. I simply think 6-6 is an appropriate floor for GT with all the challenges we face that other teams dont have to deal with combined with the ACC and our rivals all getting much better. We have to play Clemson and UGA every year, two frickin playoff teams last year. Miami is back to an annual top 10 team. The ACC is vastly improved from even 6 or 7 years ago. This is not your standard Chan Gailey 6-6 team. 6-6 means we have very little room for error over 5 or 6 games that could go either way.

Miami is back to an annual top 10 team.

Miami will be back to an annual top 10 team when they actually finish in the top 10 several years running. Which they haven't done since 2003, FYI. They finished #13 last year and #20 in 2016. And unranked for years before that.

Please tell me how many wins coaches who have been at a schoool more than 5, 6, 7, 8 years should have?

8 minimum in a 13 game season. Bowl game should never be a question of making. 70 teams make a bowl. If you can't build a program in 10 seasons to make at least a bowl every year you are failing.

8 minimum in a 13 game season. Bowl game should never be a question of making. 70 teams make a bowl. If you can't build a program in 10 seasons to make at least a bowl every year you are failing.
Agreed. Which is why I'm not sure which was more troubling, 2015 or 2017. As bad as 2015 was, we had a crazy number of injuries and still lost of a lot of close games. We lost 6 games by 8 pts or less (ND, UNC, Pitt, UVA, VT, UGA).

In 2017 we didn't have many injuries, but played so erratically. We only lost 3 games by 8 pts or less (Tenn, Miami, UVA), and lost worse to Duke than to defending champ Clemson. And of course, in 2015 we lost to UGA by 7 points and in 2017 by 31 pts. So somehow 2015 seems like a better horrible season than 2017.

Which is why I think CPJ's definitely on the hot seat with a poor-or-mediocre season in 2018. The outliers would be becoming a trend.

Back