Is Godsey ready?

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
Is the Goose ready to run the show at his Alma Mater? What do you guys think? Would he even take the job? I'm ready for some young blood to lead this team.

Attachments

• godsey.jpg
    godsey.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 85
I hope so, but not sure about him as a recruiter. Maybe coaching Brady and Deshaun will carry some weight

Last edited:
By any metric you would normally look at, no he isn't. 2 years at the coordinator level and now he's a quarterbacks coach. You wouldn't know his name if he didn't play here. (unless you really keep up with journeyman NFL assistants). Doesn't mean he couldn't do it. You never know. He could be great. There just isn't any objective evidence to that effect yet. He's beyond unproven.

Exactly. His recruiting is an unknown at this point. But hey, it's always nice to think about :heelclick:

Exactly. His recruiting is an unknown at this point. But hey, it's always nice to think about :heelclick:
He's an I.E. The first head coach to use Deming's system of total quality management. Our kickoff coverage would be studied similar to Dr Deming studying bricklayers

What's our history of hiring former players as HC? Not very good, Bill Fulcher quit after two years, Pepper was ok but could never get over the 7 win hump. Curry started out terrible and had one good season before bolting to Alabama. Maybe we could find a former player that ends up working out like Kirby has for the mutts, but the odds and history say otherwise.

I think we lead the nation in preferential consideration of alumni for football coaching positions.
Doubt it. Everybody likes the idea of the native son returning home to redeem a fallen kingdom.

His recruiting can't be worse than our last 5 year average.

Probably not markedly better either. The school itself has a much higher impact on recruiting. If GT changes coaches, it needs to have better support from the school. Can TStan pull that off? Prez Bud doesn’t seem to care.

Bill o Brian might be available at the end of the year

What's our history of hiring former players as HC? Not very good, Bill Fulcher quit after two years, Pepper was ok but could never get over the 7 win hump. Curry started out terrible and had one good season before bolting to Alabama. Maybe we could find a former player that ends up working out like Kirby has for the mutts, but the odds and history say otherwise.
The three you mentioned were all players for Coach Dodd. Pepper's wishbone had the same issue that we have with the TO. The offense could generate lots of yards but generated too many turnovers. Pepper did recruit several future NFL players.
Given our financial status and recruiting challenges, it may be in our interest to gamble on a former player. We have three to choose from as I see it, Whisenhunt, McIntyre or Godsey in order by age. I favor McIntyre because he has P5 head coaching experience.

We have three to choose from as I see it, Whisenhunt, McIntyre or Godsey in order by age. I favor McIntyre because he has P5 head coaching experience.
These former players all have too much non-success on their resumes. What is there besides their alumni status that makes them good picks?

Back