Is Godsey ready?

Godsey is an NFL OC. I think he might have some experience

He was an OC and it didn't work out in Texas after only 2 years. Joined Detroit as defensive assistant and is now their QB coach.

Add me to the list of those not following the overwhelming desire to hire a former player.

Brent Key?

Hmm well he was a coordinator at UCF while Stansbury was there, as it turns out, and now an OL coach at Bammer. I prefer HC experience, personally, but he probably gets an interview if we end up searching. Make a thread for him! lol. You may have found our Tech man.

Edit: That said, his offense at UCF was so awful it probably cost him the head job when O'Leary retired....

Last edited:
Hmm well he was a coordinator at UCF while Stansbury was there, as it turns out, and now an OL coach at Bammer. I prefer HC experience, personally, but he probably gets an interview if we end up searching. Make a thread for him! lol. You may have found our Tech man.

Edit: That said, his offense at UCF was so awful it probably cost him the head job when O'Leary retired....
Hey, who knows. If we hire him as HC maybe Jalen Hurts will come as well.

These former players all have too much non-success on their resumes. What is there besides their alumni status that makes them good picks?

hi-res-eeae90527ccd3989c086fc749d4cb4fc_crop_north.jpg

Their good looks?

I vote for the Goose to be the next Coach....

Make Tech Football Great again hire George "The Goose" Godsey

Why George Godsey should be our next Head Coach!!

- Godsey finished his college career as the most accurate passer in Georgia Tech history, with a career completion percentage of 63.3
- Godsey spent the 2003 Arena Football League season on the Tampa Bay Storm.The team wound up winning ArenaBowl XVII
- Central Florida hired Godsey as a graduate assistant in 2004. He was reunited with O'Leary who took over the Knights that year. In 2005, he was promoted to quarterbacks coach and served in that role through the 2008 season. In 2009 and 2010, he coached running backs.In the seven years Godsey spent at UCF, the Knights won two Conference USA championships
- 2011 hewent to the NFL, New England ....He has done the following in the NFL:
  • New England Patriots (2011)
    Offensive assistant.... Godsey entered the NFL ranks with the Patriots, first as an offensive assistant in 2011. That season, the team earned the top seed in the AFC with a 13-3 record and advanced to Super Bowl XLVI. From 2012-13 Godsey guided the Patriots tight ends, including Rob Gronkowski, who earned a spot in the Pro Bowl following the 2012 season with his team-leading 11 touchdowns and 11 games played.
  • New England Patriots (2012–2013)
    Tight ends coach
  • Houston Texans (2014)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • Houston Texans (2015–2016)
    Offensive coordinator....In Godsey’s two seasons at the helm of the Houston offense, the Texans claimed back-to-back AFC South Division titles and earned a win over Oakland in the AFC Wild Card round in 2016. In 2015, Houston became the only NFL team since 1950 to make the playoffs with four different starting quarterbacks winning at least one regular season game.
  • Detroit Lions (2017)
    Defensive assistant & special projects..... The 2017 Lions defense displayed a consistent ability to generate turnovers, as Detroit concluded the season ranking third in the NFL in total takeaways (32) and fourth in points scored off turnovers (99). The Lions also ranked fourth in interceptions (19) and tied for second in opponent fumble recoveries (13).
  • Detroit Lions (2018–present)
    Quarterbacks coach
MAKE TECH FOOTBALL GREAT AGAIN!! HIRE GEORGE GODSEY as the next HEAD COACH.... Turn the Goose Loose!!

- Godsey finished his college career as the most accurate passer in Georgia Tech history, with a career completion percentage of 63.3
- Godsey spent the 2003 Arena Football League season on the Tampa Bay Storm.The team wound up winning ArenaBowl XVII
- Central Florida hired Godsey as a graduate assistant in 2004. He was reunited with O'Leary who took over the Knights that year. In 2005, he was promoted to quarterbacks coach and served in that role through the 2008 season. In 2009 and 2010, he coached running backs.In the seven years Godsey spent at UCF, the Knights won two Conference USA championships
    Offensive assistant.... Godsey entered the NFL ranks with the Patriots, first as an offensive assistant in 2011. That season, the team earned the top seed in the AFC with a 13-3 record and advanced to Super Bowl XLVI. From 2012-13 Godsey guided the Patriots tight ends, including Rob Gronkowski, who earned a spot in the Pro Bowl following the 2012 season with his team-leading 11 touchdowns and 11 games played.
    Tight ends coach
  • Houston Texans (2014)
    Quarterbacks coach
    Offensive coordinator....In Godsey’s two seasons at the helm of the Houston offense, the Texans claimed back-to-back AFC South Division titles and earned a win over Oakland in the AFC Wild Card round in 2016. In 2015, Houston became the only NFL team since 1950 to make the playoffs with four different starting quarterbacks winning at least one regular season game.
  • Detroit Lions (2017)
    Defensive assistant & special projects..... The 2017 Lions defense displayed a consistent ability to generate turnovers, as Detroit concluded the season ranking third in the NFL in total takeaways (32) and fourth in points scored off turnovers (99). The Lions also ranked fourth in interceptions (19) and tied for second in opponent fumble recoveries (13).
    Quarterbacks coach
MAKE TECH FOOTBALL GREAT AGAIN!! HIRE GEORGE GODSEY as the next HEAD COACH.... Turn the Goose Loose!!

Nice puffing up of the resume. But I have a couple of counterpoints: If he was so instrumental in the Patriots' success, why didn't they keep him? Why hasn't he gotten another coordinator job? Does he have any desire or ability to recruit?

Nice puffing up of the resume. But I have a couple of counterpoints: If he was so instrumental in the Patriots' success, why didn't they keep him? Why hasn't he gotten another coordinator job? Does he have any desire or ability to recruit?
Agreed. For all our talk about recruiting... we'd going to hire somebody with precious little previous recruiting experience or responsibility? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

At the end of the day, the HC is usually the guy trying to close the deal on prized recruits. OTOH, many an excellent 'program manager' HC has delegated play calling to a talented OC.

So if I had to choose between a great recruiter and a great schemer, I choose the recruiter. Then I worry about his OC.

Tight ends coach
  • Houston Texans (2014)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • Detroit Lions (2017)
    Quarterbacks coach
Are you the actual man himself!?

George it’s nice to meet you! I was in the stands for your victory over UGA. Fun times. I was also there at the Peach Bowl when you tore your ACL. Not so fun times.

Are you still mad at Joe Burns?

Are you the actual man himself!?

George it’s nice to meet you! I was in the stands for your victory over UGA. Fun times. I was also there at the Peach Bowl when you tore your ACL. Not so fun times.

Are you still mad at Joe Burns?

No, his real name is John Cocktosten.

I don't think Georgia Tech football is attractive to a G5/FCS HC or a P5 coordinator specifically as a "stepping stone" job. It CAN be one if you're successful here. But, it's been 27 years since a HC here successfully moved on next to a better job ~20 if you give Tech full credit for O'Leary @ ND). Of the reasons to take the HC job here, using it as a stepping stone probably isn't high on the list. I am hoping that Godsey is still Gold Blooded and enjoyed his time at UCF and would want to help make Tech Football Great again...... if not we may just be in trouble..

I don't get this stepping stone BS. GT is a good job period. There are a hand full of jobs across the country where you might convince me somebody might leave us early but who cares. We're not Boise St losing coaches to Washington. I sincerely don't understand this worry. Is FSU a stepping stone job? Jimbo left? Is LSU a stepping stone job? Saban left. Who cares if somebody leaves after having so much success they are recruited elsewhere. I'll take that problem all day. What's the other option they leave early because they suck and get fired? There are plenty of coaches that would love to take GT's multimillion contract. This is a good job, don't be mistaken.

I don't get this stepping stone BS. GT is a good job period. There are a hand full of jobs across the country where you might convince me somebody might leave us early but who cares. We're not Boise St losing coaches to Washington. I sincerely don't understand this worry. Is FSU a stepping stone job? Jimbo left? Is LSU a stepping stone job? Saban left. Who cares if somebody leaves after having so much success they are recruited elsewhere. I'll take that problem all day. What's the other option they leave early because they suck and get fired? There are plenty of coaches that would love to take GT's multimillion contract. This is a good job, don't be mistaken.

I think Tech is a tough place to coach and I'd say there's more than a handful of jobs that a career-minded coach would use us a stepping stone for. However, some are taking that to extreme and saying that only an alum would possibly want the job, which is insane. I agree with you that there are plenty of good coaches who would be willing to take the job, and if they see it as a stepping stone, they will be pretty motivated to win here.

Bill O'Brien brought him to Houston when he took the HC job

Back