Is Thacker gone after the season?

And obviously we need to stop with 90% of the time only bringing 3. We gambled and got them In a 3ed and long situation and what did we do? Rushed 3 and let UVA's QB pick a receiver, no pressure.
I don't have the stats to back it up, just gut feeling from memory, but I feel like historically it hasn't mattered whether we bring pressure or sit back, we still give up third and long.
Maybe we've been so bad at getting pressure for so long that we don't trust ourselves to try even if it works. I don't know if that excuses it, defense just kind of feels hopeless regardless of choice right now.

And obviously we need to stop with 90% of the time only bringing 3. We gambled and got them In a 3ed and long situation and what did we do? Rushed 3 and let UVA's QB pick a receiver, no pressure.

I am ok with the 3 down lineman; but we should be sending 4 or 5 every down, especially since there is nothing special with our DL. Make the OL try to guess which of LB's coming every down.

I'm an X's and O's idiot, but it was pretty plain that bringing 3 and dropping 8 was not working. At all. A good QB with plenty of time is going to find open receivers no matter how many guys are in coverage. Why did we do it all game long? Again, I'm an idiot, but I think I would have changed my approach after giving up a quarter mile and 17 pts in the 2nd quarter.

I'm an X's and O's idiot, but it was pretty plain that bringing 3 and dropping 8 was not working. At all. A good QB with plenty of time is going to find open receivers no matter how many guys are in coverage. Why did we do it all game long? Again, I'm an idiot, but I think I would have changed my approach after giving up a quarter mile and 17 pts in the 2nd quarter.

You are not an idiot. A lot of not-idiots are asking the same question tonight.

Remember when Miami threw 8 bubble screens in a row to score on Roof who refused to adjust? This is like 8 straight quarters of that.

So he was a 4 star out of high school because of his last name, and All-ACC Honorable mention merely for the number of snaps played. What did Tre Swilling do to you?
Have you watched all his mental mistakes over the last 2 years?

When do you cut bait on a repeat offender - repeat screwup in Games?

I think it's the "he'll eventually make a mistake" theory. Except a good enough QB never does.

The problem I have with rushing 3 and dropping 8 is that we hear about all these human speed records with the Catapult devices that compare our guys speed with NFL guys, if that's the case then we don't need to drop 8 we should be able to bring the heat force underneath throws and then make Tackles, especially with all of our guys that grade so high WRT to speed on the catapult devices

I don't get how we hired a DC for a coach, have decent players, and our defense is still this bad

We're defensively cursed

Programs develop cultures that span across multiple coaching staffs (e.g. Tennessee and FSU) because players learn from their older teammates as much as they learn from their coaches. Unfortunately, we've had bad fundamentals become the staple of our defensive culture. We need more transfers like Eley and time in the program to reverse the trend. Our defense needs to learn how to play zone and our play calling needs to include more man coverage.

Programs develop cultures that span across multiple coaching staffs (e.g. Tennessee and FSU) because players learn from their older teammates as much as they learn from their coaches. Unfortunately, we've had bad fundamentals become the staple of our defensive culture. We need more transfers like Eley and time in the program to reverse the trend. Our defense needs to learn how to play zone and our play calling needs to include more man coverage.
Good coaches change the culture and they get rid of players who refuse to change.

Back