Is Thacker gone after the season?

Watched the condensed game on youtube. Geez we are still the absolute worst team in the NCAA at tackling...bar none. Our secondary couldn't cover anybody and it would be nice if they would just occassionally get their heads turned around on some throws. No pressure on the QB as usual and no vision by our coach how to blitz. As weak as our secondary is, what is the risk of bringing 6 or 7 on the pass rush? Oh and as gifted a athlete as Sims is he still is making too many freshman mistakes.

The criticism of Sims is baffling. He's played very well since he came back from injury. Sure he made a few bad throws last night, but there were a couple of really bad drops by receivers that could have gone for huge gains. At this point, he's dangerous enough passing that it opens up our run game.

The criticism of Sims is baffling. He's played very well since he came back from injury. Sure he made a few bad throws last night, but there were a couple of really bad drops by receivers that could have gone for huge gains. At this point, he's dangerous enough passing that it opens up our run game.

I think the criticism is because too many on here were touting him for the Heisman after his first game. Expectations were raised to the stratosphere and he turned into a turnover machine to the point that even Collins/Pnope sat him for a few games. He has a lot of upside and always has, if the OL can continue to play like they did last night and against Duke, and the TD/INT ratio continues to improve, people will get off his back.

If Geoff Collins is still head coach, who cares?
My thoughts also. If we have the same head coach does it really matter? We've gone down the DC musical chairs path before and it didn't work then, but, hey, who knows, maybe it will work this time.

I wouldn't trade him for either of UGAg's QB's. He made the one mistake of not seeing the deep safety and reading the play properly. That is a coaching issue and youth. He just didn't recognize the defensive alignment.

Otherwise, he played a good game. If we had a serviceable defense, we could have won that, but we seem to give the opposing team too many pitch and catch opportunities.

Our defensive strategy seems to be to drop 8 into coverage, rush 3, maybe bring a 4th, and hope the QB makes an errant throw for an incompletion or a pick. Our tackling is players going up and pulling at the football as the ball carrier drags out 5 or so more yards. We just don't seem fundamentally sound.

The offense is not our problem on this team. I don't get the raging criticism of Sims some fonts on the board have. I guess we could have him leave and we could go back to QB's who complete 40% of their passes again to please the miserable bitches on here who can't recognize that defense is our problem. We have to solve our defensive issues. #99 last night owned us. I think UVA recognized our tackling was so poor that getting the ball to a tough runner like him would pay dividends. Late in the game, I bet the RB from Harvard was brought in because he was likely the most secure with the ball.

I think with a serviceable defense, we can play closely with or beat every remaining team, including UGAg. I just have a nightmare of UGAg's QB standing in the pocket for as long as he wants and picking us apart. Meanwhile, we have the tools on offense to give them a run.

The OL isn't a strength on our team, but blocking seems to be improving. We have the tools in Sims, Gibbs, Mason, Smith, McGowan, Sanders, Carter, Norris....would like to see our TE's take a next step.

I think the criticism is because too many on here were touting him for the Heisman after his first game. Expectations were raised to the stratosphere and he turned into a turnover machine to the point that even Collins/Pnope sat him for a few games. He has a lot of upside and always has, if the OL can continue to play like they did last night and against Duke, and the TD/INT ratio continues to improve, people will get off his back.
We have always done the "player for Heisman" thing with players after they have a good game. It is a ST thing

My thoughts also. If we have the same head coach does it really matter? We've gone down the DC musical chairs path before and it didn't work then, but, hey, who knows, maybe it will work this time.
Or maybe you will just leave our fanbase until we build enough for you to just jump back on the bandwagon

In your parallel universe maybe that happened, but in the real World he was out due to an elbow injury to his non throwing arm.

I was about to say something, but Imma have to keep it to myself, nothing angry or profane, just something that made me giggle a bit.

But back to the Defense in this Thacker thread...

Could rushing 3 and dropping 8 be the defense version of "ripping the band-aid off"?? Once we get our 3 NFL bound defensive linemen maybe the defensive scheme we are seeing will make sense. This defense might be beautiful once we have NFL stars at every position. Is this an NFL defense that recruits want to play in and we just need to be patient?
I am not a fan of dropping eight but for once or twice a game. The reason is that defenders lose their natural instinct of covering and hitting someone individually.
We should blitz now a la Tenuta and ask our backfield to man up. Trey, Tariq and Thomas all used to play better. Let them play.

I am not a fan of dropping eight but for once or twice a game. The reason is that defenders lose their natural instinct of covering and hitting someone individually.
We should blitz now a la Tenuta and ask our backfield to man up. Trey, Tariq and Thomas all used to play better. Let them play.
The way I see it, If we are dropping 8 to stop big plays and big plays are happening anyway, it is time to reevaluate that strategy.

But back to the Defense in this Thacker thread...

Could rushing 3 and dropping 8 be the defense version of "ripping the band-aid off"?? Once we get our 3 NFL bound defensive linemen maybe the defensive scheme we are seeing will make sense. This defense might be beautiful once we have NFL stars at every position. Is this an NFL defense that recruits want to play in and we just need to be patient?

At this point I kind of wonder if the coaches have just lost faith in blitzes working after past years and first couple games this season, cause we definitely used to be worse at it. Maybe over the offseason we came up with this to counter that, had some minor success against Clemson and UNC with it and are clinging to it and it just hasn't sunk in that our LBs can blitz now and our DE's are getting better.

Last edited:
Don’t “pack this” me asshole. I’ll come up there and open a can on your ass.
predator-arnold-schwarzenegger.gif

In the words of Arnold "you are one ugly mother ööööer."

Hard to tell what is going on in the secondary when watching TV. But after watching several games, it would appear that we play a fair amount of zone and when we do, we have no clue about anticipating the pass and running to the receiver. We just appear to stand there and let the receiver catch it and then respond. I'm being somewhat sarcastic but seriously the zone coverage is not good.

I have been a Thacker fan, thinking he just needed some bodies on the DL; but we rushed only 3 too many times tonight and I have lost confidence in him. DB's seem to have regressed too.

Agreed- there was a 3rd & 16 late in the first half (?) and the announcers even suggested "bringing more than 3". Thack brings only 3. Zero pressure. Wayyy-too-easy completion to wide-open guy on 3rd and long.

And how are guys WIDE TF Open when we're only rushing 3? The entire scheme on that is just complete, abject failure.

The way I see it, If we are dropping 8 to stop big plays and big plays are happening anyway, it is time to reevaluate that strategy.

If we're playing defense to keep the other team from scoring and they are scoring anyway, it is time to reevaluate that strategy.

Back