Is This Year a Rebuilding Year?

TheTaxJacket

Dodd-Like
There is s thought on another board that suggests this is more of a rebuilding year and that next year is the year expectations should be high. Loss of Shaq, Abacks and WR are cited as reasons to point to a rebuilding year along with the tough schedule.

Anybody buying that? I'm not.

Return so much on D, best QB in PJs tenure and a veteran Oline with the exception of one spot.

The ABacks and WR are a concern because they apparently can't block which is definitely a huge concern. But still. Rebuilding year implies 7 or so wins to me and that not nearly good enough. Still a lot of talent and experience on this team.

9 wins or more I say otherwise I'm labeling this season as underachieving in what should be a pretty down ACC outside of Clemson.

Of course it is a rebuilding year for all of the reasons you cited. As good as JT is, he is not a one-man team. And I think most people seriously underestimate how valuable Shaq was to last year's team. We simply don't have a plug and play replacement for him.

But if we have improvements on the defensive side to the point where we can actually get teams off of the field on 3rd down, then that would offset the loss of offensive efficiency we are likely to have.

So it remains to be seen, but we all should be keeping in mind that next year is the year.

Da fuq? Rebuilding year? We return 13/22 of our starters and ~33/44 of our 2-deep.

ha, no. we might be better in 17, but we are not "rebuilding" this year when we return 9 defensive starters, our qb, and 4/5 of the OL.

It's easy to forget that we weren't all that great the first half of last season. Tech had losses to Duke and UNC, who we normally dominate, and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against GSU. Those deficiencies were due mostly to a weak defense and inexperience by JT.

This year, I think we will be more consistent overall, because I believe the defense will be significantly better, and JT will start out playing with the kind of instinct and confidence he showed at the end of the season.

The offense will probably not reach the level of potency we had in the Orange Bowl, because we are replacing too many skill position players, but we will be a better overall team over the course of the season. The schedule worries me, but if the record takes a step back, it won't be due to rebuilding.

Da fuq? Rebuilding year? We return 13/22 of our starters and ~33/44 of our 2-deep.

ha, no. we might be better next year, but we are not "rebuilding" this year when we return 9 defensive starters, our qb, and 4/5 of the OL.

It isn't how many are returning so much as it is what positions we are replacing them at.

I hope you guys are right and we improve on last year's results. But I am realistic.

It isn't how many are returning so much as it is what positions we are replacing them at.

I hope you guys are right and we improve on last year's results. But I am realistic.

and what are the most important positions for us to have experience at? qb, ol, and everywhere on defense, imo.

Next year, '16, is the rebuilding year. Potentially we could lose as many as 8 starters on defense, all 5 OL should Burden and Devine leave early (not completely out of the question), Skov, and Snoddy, both of whom should be starters. Better win it all this year.

Rebuilding on offense maybe, but not on defense. I think we will regress this year just because the schedule this year is tougher, and it is hard to repeat success. Football is a probabilistic thing. Sometimes your fortune is not as good and the kick doesn't go through the uprights or your star receiver drops the 4th down pass. (Was '14 Smelter a better player than '09 Thomas since he helped win the game with a 4th down completion, or was the difference luck?) I am sure though fans will claim that it was a rebuilding year if we don't win 10.

and what are the most important positions for us to have experience at? qb, ol, and everywhere on defense, imo.

Hey, I certainly won't mind being wrong. But like corndiggity just said, we have a lot of question marks at every offensive skill position but QB. And Shaq's contributions to the run game are more than one might think. But as you point out, we have a lot of talent returning, and like I said if the defense improves, we don't have to be as efficient on offense to win games.

Next year, '16, is the rebuilding year. Potentially we could lose as many as 8 starters on defense, all 5 OL should Burden and Devine leave early (not completely out of the question), Skov, and Snoddy, both of whom should be starters. Better win it all this year.

But still quite unlikely.

We will be rebuilding on offense this year. Our perimeter blocking is going to be dreadful and our bbacks are going to struggle in pass protection. Next year we'll be rebuilding on defense due to a weak defensive line.

we won the orange bowl with shaq, laskey, and days... WR is not as much of a concern to me as our best back behind our best blocker... we lost both of those this year so the offense will probably regress

We have no proven AB, BB or WR. This should be a concern.

Thank goodness the schedule is backloaded.

And no....I do not agree this is a rebuilding year. Wait until next year when we don't have Gotsis and Jabari clogging up the middle on D.

Our DL is really going to have to step up this year and save our butts when we struggle on O. That's really the only way I see this year being truly successful.

a rebuilding year, in sports, means that you purposefully do something now knowing it could hurt this year's performance in order to win in the future. that means something like cutting veteran players in favor of young players, lowering your salary so you can spend more next year, et al.

this is not a rebuilding year.

we won the orange bowl with shaq, laskey, and days... WR is not as much of a concern to me as our best back behind our best blocker... we lost both of those this year so the offense will probably regress

i guess #5 didn't have much to do with it...

Back