J Batt made the right moves it seems

Rivals didn't rank basketball recruiting in 2007, so I'm not sure how Russell can make this claim. With Miller, Storrs and Lawal enrolled, Tech no doubt finished with a top 30 class that year along with a top 20 football class.
If the Tweet or whatever we call them now had instead said: "since 2007" I'd have been fine with it. Both of our current respective coaching staffs can do a hell of a lot more with 2007-level+ talent then the respective 2007 staffs. So put me down for Hell to the Yeah!

Also keep in mind ratings are for losers, and that the only thing that matters in the end is production and winning. As long as the wins keep coming and the fanbase is happy then all is well.
That's like saying good hands are for losers in poker.

Also keep in mind ratings are for losers, and that the only thing that matters in the end is production and winning. As long as the wins keep coming and the fanbase is happy then all is well.
I used to think like this.... but now more than ever, stars matter with regard to on-field production. The recruit rankings used to be bullshit, but they're definitely not now. Obviously, you're correct that production and winning truly is what matters, but you don't get there without good high school recruiting. Transfer portal is a band-aid, but if we want to win.... we've gotta recruit better.

I’m surprised this didn’t happen right after 2000.

I agree. But we’ve absolutely had our share of being losers for a long time now in both sports to go along with having loser ratings. Football and basketball both appear to be improving beyond loser status. And now the rating are also outside of loser status. I won’t diminish that. That’s a big deal. We’ve been bogged down by loser leadership from the top down, from the president of the Institution to the AD to the coaches. We’re in a gooder place. Happy New Year. And T H W g for all those who have forgotten.

I used to think like this.... but now more than ever, stars matter with regard to on-field production. The recruit rankings used to be bullshit, but they're definitely not now. Obviously, you're correct that production and winning truly is what matters, but you don't get there without good high school recruiting. Transfer portal is a band-aid, but if we want to win.... we've gotta recruit better.
I agree. But we’ve absolutely had our share of being losers for a long time now in both sports to go along with having loser ratings. Football and basketball both appear to be improving beyond loser status. And now the rating are also outside of loser status. I won’t diminish that. That’s a big deal. We’ve been bogged down by loser leadership from the top down, from the president of the Institution to the AD to the coaches. We’re in a gooder place. Happy New Year. And T H W g for all those who have forgotten.
I agree with what both of you are saying, but if we want to focus on ratings then they are much more important in football than basketball due to the sheer numbers, but the fact still remains that if the '$tars' don't perform then the team more times than not doesn't win. Give me a coach that can recognize guys that can be coached up.

I agree with what both of you are saying, but if we want to focus on ratings then they are much more important in football than basketball due to the sheer numbers, but the fact still remains that if the '$tars' don't perform then the team more times than not doesn't win. Give me a coach that can recognize guys that can be coached up.
Or an offensive scheme that can compete. Doesn't have to be the option, but the fact is some schools just need a gimmick to win. Bud Elliott was saying that on Cover Three the other day about schools like Miss St and Vandy. Could've easily been talking about us too.

Or an offensive scheme that can compete. Doesn't have to be the option, but the fact is some schools just need a gimmick to win. Bud Elliott was saying that on Cover Three the other day about schools like Miss St and Vandy. Could've easily been talking about us too.

Seems like that has a shelf life though. Depending on a gimmicky scheme is not a long term solution imo.

We weren't good under CPJ because of the scheme. We were good because he was a great coach.

I'm grateful JBatt seems to be digging us out of the hole our previous ADs dug. We've got decent coaches now, but the athletic program as a whole is more important.

Back