J Batt made the right moves it seems

I love CBK and am excited about the future, but we went 7-6. We are a long way from being a playoff contender. In my lifetime, we have never sniffed that level without doing something different, particularly on offense.
It was his first season and a defense that lost meaningful talent in the front 7 to the NFL. I’m not claiming he’s the next Nick Saban or he’s the GT savior. But he won 7 games without a defense. If he gets the squared away, I’m not sure we’ll have to resort to belly flopping offensive linemen to win games.

It was his first season and a defense that lost meaningful talent in the front 7 to the NFL. I’m not claiming he’s the next Nick Saban or he’s the GT savior. But he won 7 games without a defense. If he gets the squared away, I’m not sure we’ll have to resort to belly flopping offensive linemen to win games.
No need to defend Key. I think we made the right hire. It is obvious that the players have faith in him, and that is the most important thing. I am confident that we will be competitive as long as he is our coach.

I’m just saying we need an edge to get to that next level. We don’t have the resources to do the same thing as everybody else and expect to do it better. We can certainly improve recruiting, but we’re never gonna start pulling in top 5 and 10 classes.

Let me put it this way: I have been watching GT football my whole life, and have never seen us beat UGA even once without an elite offensive playcaller who had a unique style.

No need to defend Key. I think we made the right hire. It is obvious that the players have faith in him, and that is the most important thing. I am confident that we will be competitive as long as he is our coach.

I’m just saying we need an edge to get to that next level. We don’t have the resources to do the same thing as everybody else and expect to do it better. We can certainly improve recruiting, but we’re never gonna start pulling in top 5 and 10 classes.

Let me put it this way: I have been watching GT football my whole life, and have never seen us beat UGA even once without an elite offensive playcaller who had a unique style.
Just curious as to who that was when Bill Curry was our HFC? Not a knock on CBC or you... I just don't remember us having an elite offensive play caller during that time.

Perhaps I'm older than you and CBC was before your time?

Just curious as to who that was when Bill Curry was our HFC? Not a knock on CBC or you... I just don't remember us having an elite offensive play caller during that time.

Perhaps I'm older than you and CBC was before your time?
Dewberry was a hell of a QB and a gagger transfer

I support CBK 100%, and my guess is that he is a no nonsense coach that doesn't play favorites and doesn't believe in clickish team behavior either. Competition is King and the best guys play...period.

King is a pretty good QB. I saw some pretty big mistakes during games, hence his relatively high interception number. He is going to get better. We should be working up to being QBU. This depends on two things. The current QB being good (reputation), and a good line to protect said QB. Apparently having Weinke on staff is a big help towards this. Having a good QB makes all the difference. Remember when we were a blitzing team and would be burned by the few really good QB's we encountered?

King is a pretty good QB. I saw some pretty big mistakes during games, hence his relatively high interception number. He is going to get better. We should be working up to being QBU. This depends on two things. The current QB being good (reputation), and a good line to protect said QB. Apparently having Weinke on staff is a big help towards this. Having a good QB makes all the difference. Remember when we were a blitzing team and would be burned by the few really good QB's we encountered?

I remember seeing our DLs get dragged to the turf by their jerseys and no flags trying to reach Matt Ryan.

I love CBK and am excited about the future, but we went 7-6. We are a long way from being a playoff contender. In my lifetime, we have never sniffed that level without doing something different, particularly on offense.
Yes but if we made the defensive change at the beginning of the season we could easily have been 9-4.

This is why I would never call Air Raid (or any other unique offensive style) a gimmick. It’s an innovation. In this day and age, I do not see Tech getting to the level we want (consistently competing for conference titles and playoff spots) without an innovative coach and/or coordinator. Fridge was that guy for us in the Ross and GOL days, and CPJ did his thing more recently. I actually think Gailey was a solid coach, but he did not have a guy like that on staff, and IMO that is why we never really broke through under him, despite having some pretty good players.
I said the same as well. I listen to a lot of college football podcasts, and a guy I like a lot is Bud Elliott. He says some schools just need a gimmick to compete. He was referencing Miss St, but I could easily see the same applying to us. Doesn't have to be the triple, but that's why I was high on Chadwell.

Great offensive and defensive lines are the hardest groups to recruit and develop.... That's a big part of why bama has been so good the last decade. I'm not following why NIL makes it easier for tech to succeed in the hardest part.
Opinions are mixed but the argument for it helping teams like GT is that you can take depth from teams like Bama which we've done with some success. This is something that GT I think is unique positioned well for success given the obscene amount of local talent that currently goes out of state or even to UGA. Also, If it becomes all about money then top talent should at least be spread more evenly amongst a larger pool of schools versus it being so concentrated at a few schools. Lots of schools have equal money to Bama and UGA (like UF, Michigan, Tennessee, Penn State, A&M, etc..) but without recent elite recruiting. The 2nd point may not directly help GT other than hopefully making UGA less talented over time with their depth transferring and more financial competition for their 4/5 stars but you never know. There is money in the GT alumni base and if we have a coach that those with money believe in, and the ability to directly help him get the talent that he needs, then maybe we can be more competitive financially than many of us believe now. We sure as hell weren't going to compete well for elite talent in the old model.

Gotta remember, we are still in the infancy of NIL so it’s gonna take a few more years to see how it shakes out. But, you can already see that NIL and the portal absolutely destroys depth at the big boy schools because no player recruited by them wants to sit. So yes, teams like UGA and Bama will be hurt by losing depth of 4 stars. And those players have to go somewhere to play. Now sure, if a big time players goes from UGA to Bama then all that means is Bama will lose somebody to the portal. For exampl, use Judkins going from Ole Miss to Ohio St. it looks like the rich getting richer doesn’t it. But look closer. By Judkins going to Ohio State that means another RB, whether at Ohio St now or a recruited high school player will reconsider because he won’t want to sit behind Judkins. So that player will portal out.

For GT, the portal will prove to be the best tool we could have gotten. It’s a freaking lifeline in todays game because no player buys the 40 year decision crap that us fans like to talk about. Sure, PWO’s and 2 stars we get do but they also don’t bring us W’s. The players who actually win games don’t think past the next few seasons. I absolutely love the portal and am grateful that GT now has a way to get better players than what we were getting under the system where Clemson, Auburn, FSU, UGA, and Bama were paying players under the table to sign while we were selling a 40 year dream.

A recent letter sent from the office of The Battman. Key quote:
"In the ever-shifting landscape of college athletics, home attendance, traveling to postseason games and TV viewership are all of the utmost importance as we look to re-establish Georgia Tech among the nation’s elite athletic programs."

Back