JacketFan77......smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s the thing about that.

Your feelings about homosexuality ate rooted in your Biblical beliefs. Not everyone has those beliefs. And the Bible is not proven to be 100% true. In fact there are many things in the Bible that have been disproven. And many things that should be easy to prove but have not been proven.

Therefore you should be tolerant of people that believe differently than you do, even if you disagree with them.

Your premise is wrong. Most normal people across cultures and religions have initial feelings that homosexuality is wrong. Many refer to their theological/philosophical authority to confirm or deny their feelings. For example, many Christians refer to the bible and many Muslims refer to the Koran to confirm that homosexuality is wrong. New Age Americans also refer to their religious/philosophical authority, which is modern psychology, to determine whether homosexuality is right or wrong and the modern psychologist tells them homosexuality is not wrong. What we are experiencing in America today is a society, including many Christians, that have replaced the bible as their moral authority with modern psychology. The feelings about homosexuality are no more rooted in Biblical beliefs than our beliefs that murder and rape are wrong. The bible confirms that murder and rape are wrong; but a normal person would already suspect that murder and rape were wrong without a bible for reference.

Your conclusion that we should be tolerant of people that believe differently is true to a degree; but not an absolute.

Your premise is wrong. Most normal people across cultures and religions have initial feelings that homosexuality is wrong. Many refer to their theological/philosophical authority to confirm or deny their feelings. For example, many Christians refer to the bible and many Muslims refer to the Koran to confirm that homosexuality is wrong. New Age Americans also refer to their religious/philosophical authority, which is modern psychology, to determine whether homosexuality is right or wrong and the modern psychologist tells them homosexuality is not wrong. What we are experiencing in America today is a society, including many Christians, that have replaced the bible as their moral authority with modern psychology. The feelings about homosexuality are no more rooted in Biblical beliefs than our beliefs that murder and rape are wrong. The bible confirms that murder and rape are wrong; but a normal person would already suspect that murder and rape were wrong without a bible for reference.

Your conclusion that we should be tolerant of people that believe differently is true to a degree; but not an absolute.

You essentially confirmed my premise by expanding it to other religions and their texts. I cited the Bible in my post because that was his point of reference.

As for saying that people believe that homosexuality is wrong in the same innate way that they know that murder and rape are wrong, well I would have to disagree with you on that. Being gay isn’t hurting other people. Murder and rape are hurting other people. I think on a philosophical level that is pretty easy to see.

But the real point I was making is this: Everyone has a right to believe that homosexuality is wrong. But they should not be intolerant of people who do not share their beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back