Jahmyr Gibbs…

The play that sticks in my mind is when a Clemson guy grabbed his jersey and spun him around and held him in place for a few seconds until his buddies cleaned up the play.
So because he didn’t break the tackle of a future 1st round draft that pick that has 100 lbs on him, he’s lost a step?

I know we all hoped Gibbs would put up bigger numbers to this point, but it seems extremely obvious to me that he’s THE focal point for opposing defenses. In fact, it seems to me like he’s even better this year because he’s shedding some arm tackles that he wasn’t able to last year. I’m confident that once he gets time and space to operate, he’ll break some huge plays this season.

So because he didn’t break the tackle of a future 1st round draft that pick that has 100 lbs on him, he’s lost a step?

I know we all hoped Gibbs would put up bigger numbers to this point, but it seems extremely obvious to me that he’s THE focal point for opposing defenses. In fact, it seems to me like he’s even better this year because he’s shedding some arm tackles that he wasn’t able to last year. I’m confident that once he gets time and space to operate, he’ll break some huge plays this season.
Lavette, Dwyer, Mays, Choice, etc everybody knew they were getting the ball. They figured out a way to get the yards.

Lavette, Dwyer, Mays, Choice, etc everybody knew they were getting the ball. They figured out a way to get the yards.
I don’t know about Lavette and Mays because I didn’t see those teams in person, it Dwyer and Choice both had the benefit of somewhat competent o line play. Give Gibbs the lines that either of those played behind and it’s a different deal.

I don’t know about Lavette and Mays because I didn’t see those teams in person, it Dwyer and Choice both had the benefit of somewhat competent o line play. Give Gibbs the lines that either of those played behind and it’s a different deal.
Gibbs is phenomenal if he’s in space. Unfortunately, we have trouble generating space so we need backs with more power IF we’re going to continue to go with only one of those guys on the field at a time. I’d find a way to get Gibbs on the field damn near every play if I was Goober. Screen passes, sneak him out of the backfield for short passes, use Smith or Mason to block for him, etc. We seem to be enamored with the TE position as if it makes us feel good about ourselves to have one. Well, we don’t use the damn TEs for anything worth a damn. Sit the TE on the pine and put in Gibbs.

Mays had a pretty good O-Line, Lavette not quite as good; but better than what we have now by a long shot.

Has got to touch the ball a minimum of 25 times on any Saturdays. Yesterday, he had 14 total touches including the one KO return. I don’t care how we scheme and game plan, but we need the ball in his hands more. I’m a Mason and Smith fan, but Gibbs is a difference maker when he gets the ball in his hands in the open field. Hopefully Saturday night he’ll get 25 touches. I may be wrong, but I see him as a difference maker against unc.
The same could be said about Smith. Good things usually happen when he touches the ball.

Gibbs went over 100 yds in both of the first 2 games. He didn’t against Clemson, but who does?

Here’s your stat of the day: the last player to rush for over 100 yards against Clemson that didn’t play for a top 5 team was Kirvonte Benson in 2017.

They had blockers.
We were atrocious when Lavette came to the Flats, 1-10 atrocious. 16-27-1 over his career. He still managed 4.3 ypc in his worst year when everybody and their brother knew he was getting the ball. He had around 25 touches per game when we were averaging about 65. He pulled a heavy load with any support.

Mays endured the early Ross years. I don’t think anyone would claim we had any type of functional offense then either. Mays carried the team until we started clicking his last year in ‘89.

Then there’s Chan and Choice, enough said. Lastly, Dwyer. Well, all he had was a bunch of belly floppers blocking for him.

We were atrocious when Lavette came to the Flats, 1-10 atrocious. 16-27-1 over his career. He still managed 4.3 ypc in his worst year when everybody and their brother knew he was getting the ball. He had around 25 touches per game when we were averaging about 65. He pulled a heavy load with any support.

Mays endured the early Ross years. I don’t think anyone would claim we had any type of functional offense then either. Mays carried the team until we started clicking his last year in ‘89.

Then there’s Chan and Choice, enough said. Lastly, Dwyer. Well, all he had was a bunch of belly floppers blocking for him.
Chan and Choice? Choice had a good career here, as did PJ Daniels

Chan and Choice? Choice had a good career here, as did PJ Daniels
Yes they did. We had little in the way of passing games with Chan. Our offense production was mostly on the running backs, plus an occasional Calvin Johnson circus catch when we finally threw him the ball.

I think we’re using Gibbs about as much as we need to; he’s playing ~60%of the snap which is a lot for a RB. Also, Smith with fresh legs is more explosive than a tired Gibbs late in the game.

I don’t disagree with your statement, I would just like to see more touches for him.

Yes they did. We had little in the way of passing games with Chan. Our offense production was mostly on the running backs, plus an occasional Calvin Johnson circus catch when we finally threw him the ball.
Greg Smith and Demaryius Thomas each had 500+ yards receiving in 2007. We averaged 187 yards passing and 199 yards rushing per game that year. Not bad stats.

It was pretty obvious to me that Clemson made a concerted effort to take Jahmyr Gibbs out of the game. Any time he ran a route out of the backfield he was absolutely blanketed. I’d love to see him get more touches as well, but I think we also need to make teams pay for over committing to stopping Gibbs.

I know CDP is probably tired of hearing this, but we need to get our best players on the field. Mason is a workhorse and a solid player, Smith has probably been our most effective offensive player this season, and Gibbs is our star. Given our lack of talent and depth at WR/TE, I wish we could get 2 of those guys on the field almost every down.

I think we’re missing the boat by not putting two running backs in the backfield

Back