Jalen transferring

Yeah, he goes to OU then that just proves he's not smart enough to get in GT anyway. Thats not a good situation to jump in.

The main competition should be other schools with new staffs, a graduating starter, and an underclassman (not senior) heir apparent. If he goes somewhere where he is perceived as stealing snaps that someone else deserves/earned then he risks entering into a locker room disaster.

Why not OSU? Stop gap for the UGA transfer.

May not need a stop gap anyway. He's appealing for a waiver and if it has anything to do with the racial slur, there's no way the NCAA turns that down.

Jalen needs to decide NOW. Collins needs to go pound on his door with a pen and paper and say "either sign it or don't". He can become our boo and live in Atlanta or he can go live in ööööhole Oklahoma next season

Dude, what do you think is his #1 priority? (Or should be)

Clue 1: hes a grad transfer
Tip 1: grad transfers get one year of eligibility
Pointer 1: he lived through a big QB competition and got beat out by an underclassman
Hint 1: he really needs to play if he wants to get drafted.

Has all the Temple film been burned? I expect our O will look like that. Or he can ask. We will have a solid run game to help out and why would Hurts be obsessed with an immaculate O line? His athleticism is part of his skillset. A valuable part.

But really it comes down to we are one of VERY few teams where he would zero questions asked walk in as the unquestioned starter. Bulk of attention and snaps from practice #1. That should be his top consideration. He doesnt have time to compete for a job or wait for a job (/overcome loyalties) and he should know that. But thanks for making sure to keep the conversation on the GT message boards about how hes got "reasons" not to come here. Thats real great.
I hate to say it, but I'm just not sure Hurts is that type of player. He had enormous amounts of time at Alabama and was still unable to hit receivers that weren't wide open. Last year Bama averaged 37 ppg with Hurts at the helm. This year they averaged 54 ppg with Tagovailoa. That's an enormous difference.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have him and I'd celebrate if we got him. But past results don't indicate that he's any kind of program-changer or even someone who can take our team on his back. He was a game manager at Alabama that avoided mistakes and let his running game and defense dominate opponents. When the team needed him to make big throws to win games, he couldn't do it. As evidence, look at his passing stats in big games in 2016/2017:

LSU 2016 (W): 10/19 107 yds
Washington 2016 (W): 7/14 57 yds
Clemson 2016 (L): 13/31 131 yds
Clemson 2017 (W): 16/24 120 yds
Auburn 2017 (L): 12/22 112 yds
UGA 2017 (played one half): 3/8 21 yds

Maybe he's developed into a better player since then, but that's certainly no guarantee. FWIW, I do think it makes a lot of sense for him to come here and like I said I'd gladly take him. I'm just tempering expectations a little bit.

Jalen needs to decide NOW. Collins needs to go pound on his door with a pen and paper and say "either sign it or don't". He can become our boo and live in Atlanta or he can go live in ööööhole Oklahoma next season
I imagine he will decide before tomorrow. That is the last day he can still enroll for spring semester anywhere and start practicing with the team. If he waits until after Friday, he can't enroll until summer.

I honestly think he's probably going to be going to either TCU, Maryland, Miami, or Florida, with Maryland making the most sense.

Well the Key rumors finally being confirmed makes this more interesting now. That would provide some level of familiarity. At the very least a great frontman in the recruitment.

I hate to say it, but I'm just not sure Hurts is that type of player. He had enormous amounts of time at Alabama and was still unable to hit receivers that weren't wide open. Last year Bama averaged 37 ppg with Hurts at the helm. This year they averaged 54 ppg with Tagovailoa. That's an enormous difference.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have him and I'd celebrate if we got him. But past results don't indicate that he's any kind of program-changer or even someone who can take our team on his back. He was a game manager at Alabama that avoided mistakes and let his running game and defense dominate opponents. When the team needed him to make big throws to win games, he couldn't do it. As evidence, look at his passing stats in big games in 2016/2017:

LSU 2016 (W): 10/19 107 yds
Washington 2016 (W): 7/14 57 yds
Clemson 2016 (L): 13/31 131 yds
Clemson 2017 (W): 16/24 120 yds
Auburn 2017 (L): 12/22 112 yds
UGA 2017 (played one half): 3/8 21 yds

Maybe he's developed into a better player since then, but that's certainly no guarantee. FWIW, I do think it makes a lot of sense for him to come here and like I said I'd gladly take him. I'm just tempering expectations a little bit.
Everything indicates he stepped it up after being benched in the NC game. Coaches have said as much, IIRC he had a better QB rating this year and played plenty of snaps. He's not as good as a healthy Tua, but few are.

Everything indicates he stepped it up after being benched in the NC game. Coaches have said as much, IIRC he had a better QB rating this year and played plenty of snaps. He's not as good as a healthy Tua, but few are.
I'd love to be wrong, especially if we end up getting him, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I really would like us to get him because it will be the first major recruiting win for Collins. We really need this win.

I really would like us to get him because it will be the first major recruiting win for Collins. We really need this win.
I doubt it happens but man it would be nice. These type of things start to snowball, and all it takes is that one thing to start it all in motion.

Back